Ocean View on Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brentrain17

Service Attendant
I understand Amtrak's only dome car the full dome "Ocean View" will be running on The Cardinal this fall. I understand from rumors it may be the first part on November. I am looking for exact dates. Amtrak reservations could not help me out. Anyone out there know the exact dates? Thanks ahead for any info.

what a misleading topic name. I read it and was ready to bash a troll.

However, I'm sorry and was not aware of the car "Ocean View", you may now bash me for being the idiot :blink: :blush:

However, I'm sorry and was not aware of the car "Ocean View", you may now bash me for being the idiot :blink: :blush:
No bashing needed. Sounds like you've aleady bashed yourself! :giggle:

As far as the Ocean View goes, it was on 'The Card' last year - after being on the Adirondack - and the time frame was late October, early November IIRC - only thing was it had some mechanical issues and missed a majority of its scheduled runs on the Cardinal. (Hey the thing ain't getting any younger.) As far as I know Amtrak has not yet released a schedule for when the OV will do 'leaf peeping' runs this fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read on AU that the dome will be on the Adrondack (sp) till the end of Oct. We were speculating if it would be on the Fall Foliage excursion on Nov 2.

The dome car would be nice to experience, but I'll be pleased when we see a Viewliner diner and more than one sleeping car on the Cardinal. The $391 roomette and $891 bedrooms exist due to the severe shortage of sleeper space on this route. Maybe by the middle of 2014 we will finally see new/more equipment on the CDL OR....... will Amtrak scrap the existing sleeper and just replace it with one new Viewliner?????

I just noticed this on Amtrak's website, it mentions the dome car on the Cardinal and Adirondack without any dates. You need to dig into the press releases for the Adirondack's, I can't find the Cardinal's!
The press release for the days in the 5 week period though Oct. 29 for the dome car on the Adirondack was posted earlier this week. If the dome car is on the Cardinal this fall, Amtrak will presumably issue a press release a couple of weeks in advance. Which does not help with buying tickets well in advance.

Assuming it follows the press release dates, it should make its last trip from Montreal to Albany on Tuesday, 29 October. It could then 'deadhead' to Chicago on Train 49 that same day, and arrive Chicago on 30 October. The next Cardinal departure would be on Thursday, 31 October. So you can probably figure it from there on....

So I could pick it up east bound in Charleston on the morning of Nov 1st? Works for me. I could go over to CHW from CVS on Wed 30th.

Will the dome car go only as far as WAS? Can it go on the NEC with catenary and tunnels etc.? Is that why railiner says it will go to CHI on 49 rather than NYP and start from there? Should I buy tickets now or wait for the announcement? It seems a little bit late in the season.......late Oct the WV park service says for 'peak' in southern WV. I made that trip 5 years ago around about that time, just prior to election day, and the leaf display was basically finished in WV while still in full glory in the Shenandoah and in Charlottesville itself. I would really like to experience the dome car though regardless.

It gets picked up and dropped off at WAS. Last I checked the actual dates it will be on the Card this year had not been released.

Assuming it follows the press release dates, it should make its last trip from Montreal to Albany on Tuesday, 29 October. It could then 'deadhead' to Chicago on Train 49 that same day, and arrive Chicago on 30 October. The next Cardinal departure would be on Thursday, 31 October. So you can probably figure it from there on....
I will definitely fall off my chair in utter surprise if Albany is able to move the Dome or any car from 68 to 49 on the same day. :) So IMHO expecting it on the 31st is more than a bit ambitious.

I will definitely fall off my chair in utter surprise if Albany is able to move the Dome or any car from 68 to 49 on the same day. :) So IMHO expecting it on the 31st is more than a bit ambitious.
I don't see why it couldn't be done, but since you seem more knowledgeable about Amtrak's performance, I'll concede your point....

You thought that they were asking about an Ocean View Roomette vs. a Balcony Roomette? :D

Sadly I just called Amtrak and their most recent memo says that it's on the Adirondack and will NOT be put on the Cardinal this year. The lady said it has something to do with the tunnels. I said, "well yeah, it's usually left in DC," which she confirmed, but not this year. Maybe never again? Dunno... Bummer.

Sadly I just called Amtrak and their most recent memo says that it's on the Adirondack and will NOT be put on the Cardinal this year. The lady said it has something to do with the tunnels. I said, "well yeah, it's usually left in DC," which she confirmed, but not this year. Maybe never again? Dunno... Bummer.
Amtrak is still advertising it will be on the Card - so either she doesn't know what she is talking about, a distinct possibility -

- or Amtrak is pressuring/punishing Indiana! ^_^

As per my earlier post, we rode the Adirondack yesterday and the R To T people said it was to be on Adirondack until end of October and then moved to another train. But he seemed to think it would be on one of the Carolina trains and not the Cardinal. None of the conductors on the train knew anything about where it was going next. :giggle:

I just found this, no idea how legitimate it is from the Mendota Museums Website announcing that a dome car, I assume Ocean View although the page has an ancient photo of Superlines with a Superliner Lounge will be spending November (from November 5 - 22) on the Illinois Zephyr, what a waste if true! Considering the Quincy-bound evening trip would be entirely in darkness.

If true there still showing Business Class availability during November so it would have to be the Ocean View not a Superliner Substitute (with a Sightseer Lounge) for the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back