Ocean View on Hiawathas 11/26-28/13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredevad

Lead Service Attendant
I heard from someone today that the great Dome car will be operating on the Hiawatha line between Chicago and Milwaukee next week Mon, Nov 25 to Thu, Nov 28. I did a light search on Amtrak's web site, but was unable to confirm. However, I trust the source. Here's the schedule I was given:

Mon, Nov 25 and Wed, Nov 27

#329 06:10 Chicago - Milwaukee

#332 08:05 Milwaukee - Chicago

#333 10:20 Chicago - Milwaukee

#336 13:00 Milwaukee - Chicago

#337 15:15 Chicago - Milwaukee

#340 17:45 Milwaukee - Chicago

#341 20:05 Chicago - Milwaukee

Tue, Nov 26 and Thu, Nov 28

#330 06:15 Milwaukee - Chicago

#331 08:25 Chicago - Milwaukee

#334 11:00 Milwaukee - Chicago

#335 13:05 Chicago - Milwaukee

#338 15:00 Milwaukee - Chicago

#339 17:08 Chicago - Milwaukee

#342 19:35 Milwaukee - Chicago

Here is the Amtrak press release. Also running on the Hiawatha on Sun Dec 1.

And on the Lincoln Fri Nov 29 and Sat Nov 30.

That's me in the photo about the 7th row back, in the red shirt nearest the window with my dad!

What memories.

To which route/train will it eventually be leaving Chicago next week?

(That could be the most interesting trip for putting it to its most scenic use.)

Good to put on a Thanksgiving week, lots of first time riders. I've never been in the dome before, perhaps if it were a more scenic time of year I'd short-turn ALC-CHI-MKE-CHI-ALC to go see it.. that would be a nice day trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
To which route/train will it eventually be leaving Chicago next week? (That could be the most interesting trip for putting it to its most scenic use.)
I'm just guessing wildly, but given that it's a Heritage car and is being worked intensively, I'd bet it will go out on the Cardinal or Hoosier State as far as Beech Grove Shops for repairs!

To which route/train will it eventually be leaving Chicago next week? (That could be the most interesting trip for putting it to its most scenic use.)
It is scheduled to leave Chicago on #7 on Tuesday, December 2nd out of Chicago... arriving Seattle on Thursday, December 4th... for use on the snow train to Leavenworth, Washington. It likely will NOT be open to the public on #7... as it is single level equip and #7 is Superliner. They'll probably put it ahead of the baggage car and lock it up. Sorry!

It is scheduled to leave Chicago on #7 on Tuesday, December 2nd out of Chicago... arriving Seattle on Thursday, December 4th... for use on the snow train to Leavenworth, Washington. It likely will NOT be open to the public on #7... as it is single level equip and #7 is Superliner. They'll probably put it ahead of the baggage car and lock it up. Sorry!
Hmmm... interesting. It's scheduled to be on the Hiawatha on Dec 1st, which will put it in MKE on 341 the night of the 1st. I wonder how they're going to pull that off as I'm sure they won't deadhead it back to CHI. They'd either have to switch it out between 340 and 341 in CHI or switch it out of 341 overnight and tack it on to 7 in MKE (although I did hear you say it is scheduled out of CHI).

Never mind Robert, I just saw your post in the other thread - the dome will start on 331 on Dec. 1st so that it ends up in CHI.

Got it. :)
Yeah, on Sundays there are only 6 round-trips so whatever equipment starts in CHI will end in CHI, and vice-versa. This is the only day this applies. BTW, last night they switched out the Great Dome between #340 and #341 in Chicago. We got to watch this happen on the platform. This ended up delaying #341 by more than an hour though... but was worth the ride. We're planning a round-trip tomorrow (Sunday) with the Dome... I'm just hoping nothing gets jacked up with it where they don't put it back on the Hiawathas on Sundays. Next year they need to just leave it on the Hiawathas. Seems like a PITA to pull it off for one trip to STL.

Good job, Robert!
Thanks!!! The station agents are saying a lot of people have bought tickets after seeing the report.
Count me among them -- didn't have time to take a full trip based on timing and circumstance, but I hopped on a quick airport - downtown - airport round trip on Tuesday just to ride in the dome briefly -- it's about 10 minutes each way. A number of us boarding in MKE were definitely there specifically for the experience and not the transportation.

Though the car doesn't hold as many as another coach, having any added capacity on the Hiawatha over the holiday is a plus . That line is often standing-room only around the holidays. At any rate, it was very cool riding in the dome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back