Odd news or is it propaganda?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFS1970

Service Attendant
So my newsfeed online has learned that I read stories on trains. In the last month or so I have found that this is showing me a lot more negative articles. Not just about specific incidents but what amount to little more than blog posts about the evils of Amtrak. One today was asking if it was time to pull the plug on Amtrak.

So this has me thinking, is there some sort of conspiracy to publish train adverse articles? I am seeing more than I ever have. I am also not seeing many pro train articles. Enough that this has me asking these odd questions.

Has your news feed decided that you are actually interested in negative news about trains rather then just interested in news about trains? My news feed is broadly broken down into rail travel, brexit and motor sports.

But actually I only get UK, Europe and Asian rail news, F2, F3, WEC and indy car news with little or no F1 or Nascar news as those hold less interest toe personally despite being the bigger markets (F1 especially). Brexit is all negative news but then I don't think any positive news about brexit exists...

I’ve been noticing a lot more negative articles on LinkedIn, most of them from uninformed jerks who are direct competitors to Amtrak (one of them was shared by an executive director at GM who called it “hilarious” and said more people should drive or fly).

I am far from a conspiracy theorist, but I AM a 40-year corporate marketing veteran. I have begun to think there is some sort of orchestrated effort to criticize long-distance Amtrak service--WSJ, Forbes, various bloggers, all getting shares on social media. I've run such PR efforts before, and this one looks and feels like it has a clear strategy behind it, especially given management's perspectives on long-distance. Just sayin'.

I am far from a conspiracy theorist, but I AM a 40-year corporate marketing veteran. I have begun to think there is some sort of orchestrated effort to criticize long-distance Amtrak service--WSJ, Forbes, various bloggers, all getting shares on social media. I've run such PR efforts before, and this one looks and feels like it has a clear strategy behind it, especially given management's perspectives on long-distance. Just sayin'.

There also has been a distinct lack of marketing from Amtrak for the longest time. I occasionally see internet ads and my dorm has the student saver fare ads posted all around but beyond that, nothing. I feel like Amtrak could really benefit from a strong marketing campaign that shows why they’re worth the longer travel times and higher prices on LDT and why Corridor beats car/plane.

You saw a lot of that stuff in the 80s or so before the airport sercurity lines were truly a thing. This is a golden opportunity here. People don’t want to stand in line and undress for a plane and they don’t want to drive. Market Amtrak as that alternative and remind people that part of the excitement about traveling isn’t just the destination, it’s the journey.

It's difficult to prove a conspiracy, especially when the conspiracy is most evident online -- perpetuated by anonymous people hiding behind a keyboard.

The best we can do is try to compare results. In this example, compare the points being made by these anti-passenger train (and specifically anti-Amtrak) "advocates." Do they simply mimic each other? Do they quote the same people and "facts?" Are any of them identified with industries that compete with Amtrak? Are any of them part of a political movement that trends Right consistently? If the answers are mostly Yes, then it could well be an organized effort. In other words, a conspiracy.

Not saying it isn't their right to express opinions, but the smart, well informed reader will try to understand where they're coming from. If it smells like a conspiracy, perhaps give it less weight, or ignore it, or even fight back.

Well, another thing that I've been noticing for years is that every time there is a train wreck involving a passenger train it always seems to be "front page" news even if there are no fatalities but worse yet when there are.

Meanwhile, nearly 40,000 people a year are dying on American highways and that is no news. WHERE is the outrage?

A traffic pile up on an Interstate Highway can take six lives and it's back page news if it even makes it into the news at all. "Oh well, just another traffic accident, that's all. Such is life".

I'm not sure this is really a conspiracy or what it is. Maybe we've all just come to be so desensitized to traffic fatalities that we don't care anymore and just keep on hopin' an prayin' it'll happen "to the other guy" instead of us.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

I think NSC1109 is right on about undressing and standing in long lines for airport security, not to mention getting stuffed like sardines into areas that are uncomfortable even for small people like myself. In addition, I used to love to drive across the country on road trips, but this baby boomer is starting to age and it's getting harder and more physically painful to drive for lengthy periods of time. I hadn't even considered the train in spite of there being a somewhat significant and attractive rail station where I live until a friend of mine rode into town on the Southwest Chief. I have now taken it and had a far better travel experience than any other mode. Yes, if Amtrak targeted advertisements for the LD to the baby boomers, they would probably do well or better. They might have to add more sleepers though.

There also has been a distinct lack of marketing from Amtrak for the longest time. I occasionally see internet ads and my dorm has the student saver fare ads posted all around but beyond that, nothing. I feel like Amtrak could really benefit from a strong marketing campaign that shows why they’re worth the longer travel times and higher prices on LDT and why Corridor beats car/plane.

You saw a lot of that stuff in the 80s or so before the airport sercurity lines were truly a thing. This is a golden opportunity here. People don’t want to stand in line and undress for a plane and they don’t want to drive. Market Amtrak as that alternative and remind people that part of the excitement about traveling isn’t just the destination, it’s the journey.

I think they need to work on the operation before marketing it. I mean, what is your selling point?

The packed trains?
The multi hour delays?
The burnt out staff?
The last minute cancellations?
The old equipment?
The boxed food?
The microwaved food (product)?
The disabled equipment?
The false imprisonment?
The unscheduled excursion to another city as you miss your connection?

It's about the journey, all right.

Or at least some Michael Palin style travel documentary going around the country showing all the quirky, unexpected and wonderful things that you get to see on and around trains and in the places they serve.

I think they need to work on the operation before marketing it. I mean, what is your selling point?

The packed trains?
The multi hour delays?
The burnt out staff?
The last minute cancellations?
The old equipment?
The boxed food?
The microwaved food (product)?
The disabled equipment?
The false imprisonment?
The unscheduled excursion to another city as you miss your connection?

It's about the journey, all right.
No argument that train travel needs some improvement but allow me to share an experience last week. We had to travel to Seattle for a business issue and didn't have the three days to spare by train. We flew Delta from PHL-DET-SEA. The breakfast and lunches were decent microwaved or served cold. The drinks were plentiful and the movie choices were numerous. We were up front but the aircraft had about 200 people squeezed into the plane all breathing the same air. The flight was smooth but not so enjoyable. You look out the window and all you see are clouds. When we arrived in Seattle the walk to the baggage area seemed like a mile or so. We then had to take a bus to get to the car rental place and walk again. Even with pre-cert the security was intrusive and we encountered crowds everywhere that we went. We arrived feeling tired and that was a first class trip. In contrast when we take the train we are not anchored to the seat for 6 1/2 hours. You can get up to stretch your legs, you can see the country the food is better and overall we find it a relaxing experience. When we depart the train we always feel refreshed.We will choose the train over any flight any day.

We had to travel to Seattle for a business issue and didn't have the three days to spare by train. We flew Delta from PHL-DET-SEA. The breakfast and lunches were decent microwaved or served cold. The drinks were plentiful and the movie choices were numerous. We were up front........
The captioned passages from your immediate posting simply "says it all" - 7.5hrs and "we're here more or less on time". No fun (quite livable forward of the curtain), but 10hr, including formalities and transfers, it's "over and done".

And that represents what 99.9% of people with occasion to travel by commercial transportation from Philly to Seattle prefer.

Last edited:
Back