Old Zephyr cars on CS #14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cina

Lead Service Attendant
There are three (I think?) old Zephyr cars on the back of the northbound Coast Starlight I just boarded. Are these private cars? I took a few pictures but don't know how to post them with my phone.

I saw the same cars in December, I think (two of them, anyway). So, here's what I know about them:

They are now private cars, but these are the vary same type that I rode in on the CZ in 1968, from CHI to SLC. Here's a photo of the "lucky owner" and you can see the name on his t-shirt, so let's just google it and see what it is they do:

dectrip_24.jpg

Here's one of the cars I saw:

dectrip_23.jpg

And here's the other:

dectrip_25.jpg

Hey, let us know if you take one of their tours (post a trip report)! Wouldn't *that* be nice!

Love those stainless Zephyr cars. Was fortunate to ride the Silver Quail, NOL-CHI as part of the Pullman consist, apparently their Iowa pacific painted cars were needed elsewhere, and they leased the Silver Quail and a Milwaukee Road sleeper to augment their cars. Was fun riding that piece of Americana! Only thing better would have been if the Silver Lariat were on the end, though the Iowa Pacific round end Ponchatrain Club was very nice too! http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z428/paddlenpeddle/IMG_2006_zps10e5bce4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been wondering, how does Amtrak charge these private railcars when they attach to their trains? I see Tioga Pass attached to the Surfliners often. And in San Diego, they come in and then get detached and it on one of the spare tracks. Would Union Pacific and BNSF let these cars attach to the back of freight trains?

P1000513 by seat38a, on Flickr

PV can attach to and is frequently repositioned by freights. insofar as I know, however, all prohibit occupancy during such movements.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1402367928.083696.jpg

I hopped off in Salinas to take better pictures. The two dome cars are the "Silver Lariat" and "Silver Rapids". Lucky folks on those!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back