On the ground; Eastbound Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited last car derailed 4/21

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eastbound TexasEagle/Sunset Limited while departing Palm Springs station derailed the last car (sleeper/mine) of the train due to blowing sand over the rails. This was on the siding/station track and not on the main line.

The car is upright and passengers are still asleep. We still have power to our car.

Now going on 2:30 and UP crews are checking things out.

253878D0-9693-4D8C-9BC4-DE9F9468B1A2.jpeg
Tangent track.

Last edited:
Conductor just explained to all on the speaker about last night.

There was high winds with blowing sand in the Palm Springs area last night. The west switch into Palm Springs would not line into the siding. So the dispatcher has us go to the east switch and back in.

That is why it was only the last car on the train that derailed on built up sand over the rails while backing up. No other cars or locomotives were affected.

3E171F81-C8E1-4753-A8AF-286107A2B558.jpeg

Last edited:
I have heard that the Southern Pacific used to have problems with sand blowing over the rails when the El Paso and Southwestern route was used as the main passenger route west of El Paso but I don't know if it got to the point where it derailed trains or stopped traffic.

I saw on transit docs it was late, Amtrak just said equipment issues. But oh my god, wow!

3:45am- Decision made to evacuate those in the last car either to coach or to the last remaining 2 rooms on the SL sleeper at the head end. A new sleeper will be awaiting us in San Antonio in two days henceforth.

Train crew members very professional in handling the situation.
Did they have a Lottery to decide who gets the 2 Rooms in the #2 Sleeper?

I wouldnt want to be moved from the #422 Sleeper to Coach for the 2 Night ride to SAS!!
( Lots of folks dont know that a Superliner Sleeper and Coach are kept @ the SAS Station on Ground Power)

Last edited:
TrackWalker, are/were you in the 421 sleeper?
Looks like his first post was saying he was in the 421 sleeper before it was detached and left behind.

Did they have a Lottery to decide who gets the 2 Rooms in the #2 Sleeper?
I was wondering when a sleeper is abandoned en route do any staff give up compartments or are downgrades to coach reserved for customers only?

Looks like his first post was saying he was in the 421 sleeper before it was detached and left behind.

I was wondering when a sleeper is abandoned en route do any staff give up compartments or are downgrades to coach reserved for customers only?
It's in their contract that OBS on LD Trains get their own Rooms.

Sleeping Car Customers are the ones who go to Coach,or get bumped till the Next Train.

Everyone is taking it in stride. It was announced us sleeper patrons still get our flex meals. :cool:
I only had this happen to me once, and it was on the Portland Section of the Empire Builder.

When the Portland Sleeper was Bad Ordered,we were put in the back of aPortland Section Coach with the SCA who passed out the Nice Boxed Dinners ( pre-Covid) to Spokane, then moved to one of the Seattle Sleepers upon arrival.( there were 3, the Transdorm and 2 Revenue Sleepers)

I was lucky and snagged a Bedroom, had been in a Roomette on the #28 all the way to CHI!

Have a good trip! If the Fort Worth cam is still on I will watch your arrival into FTW.

Derailed because of sand: that's a new one on me! Keep us posted!
You wouldn't believe the size of those flex grains of sand! Much worse than the "Traditional" grains.

I'll be that picture of the sand was a fake. Amtrak does not want to admit that the car derailed after hitting a flex meal one customer dumped out the side of the train.
;)

Back