On the ground; Eastbound Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited last car derailed 4/21

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that #2/#422 is now 6+ Hours Down in New Mexico.

Wondering if Amtrak will Bustitute Passengers going East of Alpine to San Antonio to catch the Eagle , since I don't think they'll hold #22 for 6 Hours waiting on #2 to arrive?

They could switch the Sleeper and Coach kept in SAS to #22, and the Bustituted passengers going North of SAS could board upon the Buses arrival.( It's a 7-8 hour drive from El Paso- SA, the Train is 12-14 Hours).

Last edited:
Or bus them from El Paso to FTW. They have done that before. TE will take the two cars in SAT to CHI, no need for the SL to use them going east. I guess the next UP manifest train or local will pickup the rerailed Superliner and take it back to LA.

Or bus them from El Paso to FTW. They have done that before. TE will take the two cars in SAT to CHI, no need for the SL to use them going east. I guess the next UP manifest train or local will pickup the rerailed Superliner and take it back to LA.
I hope there is video of them recovering the superliner!

AMTK cleared a west switch on the main track somewhere. Let a westbound out of the siding. Then backed wb to clear the plant/switch and now eastbound on the siding at about 15 mph.

Looks like an eb train stopped on the main to let us go first.

Here we go. Main track. Clickity clack.

Last edited:
Looks like his first post was saying he was in the 421 sleeper before it was detached and left behind.

I was wondering when a sleeper is abandoned en route do any staff give up compartments or are downgrades to coach reserved for customers only?

A number of years ago, I was on a 21 sleeper that derailed (ice) in St. Louis. First, the plan was to put us "displaced people" in the transdorm (we were moved to the empty dining car to sit while things were figured out). Then that was not approved and there weren't enough open rooms. Then we were told they would leave the "empty" coach car on the end of the train and we could go there and at least stretch out and be in a lower-density car. Then, before we left St. Louis - so it was only about an hour - the crew came back and said no, they had to remove the empty coach, we'd have to go into the regular coaches.

no help was given us in finding an open seat or moving our luggage. Had a woman not moved her sleeping children from a pair of seats (she and her husband were in the "four seats" at the front of the car but had let the kids move to the pair of seats behind them), I'd not have found a seat - I was not willing to wake someone up at 2 am and ask them to sit up so I could have the seat next to them.

all in all, it was a miserable trip - we were 9 hours late getting in to Mineola. Fortunately there was a room at the Best Western there, I was so exhausted it would not have been safe for me to make the 2 hour drive home.

I was mostly annoyed at how we got jerked around - first told "oh, we'll try to round up enough empty rooms" then "well, you can go into the empty coach car" and then "we leave in 20 minutes, get yourself and your stuff into one of the other coaches, good luck finding a seat"

AMTRK cleared a west switch on the main track somewhere. Let a westbound out of the siding. Then backed wb to clear the plant/switch and now eastbound on the siding at about 15 mph.

Looks like an eb train stopped on the main to let us go first.

Here we go. Main track. Clickity clack.

By product of 3 mile intermodal trains?

10:00am Announced some passengers will board a bus at San Antonio to reconnect directly with the train at Longview, TX.

All others will board a different bus with stops to Mineola, TX.
This is one of the procedures Amtrak uses for missed connections in SAS.It beats riding a Bus from El Paso to FTW or SAS, but is still not ideal!

Be sure and contact Customer Relations upon your return, you are due a Partial Refund for not having your Room,missing 3 Meals, and a Good Will Voucher for inconvenience on the Very Late Train!

Last edited:
Back