Onboard Upgrades?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Newton

I haven't traveled in a few years but I'm getting the itch again... this time from BOS to SEA.

Back in the day, one could have a coach seat, and sometimes get an onboard upgrade to roomette. Is this still possible?

Thanks for any reply, David

They stopped doing the cheap onboard upgrades with the advent of eticketing.

These days, if you ask a conductor about upgrading, they'll direct you to call reservations or use the app/website to do the upgrade. It'll be at current bucket.

Last edited:
As zephyr17 says, no, but they do offer bid-up when there are rooms available. They send out emails a few days before your travel date letting you know if it's available. What you bid is in addition to what you paid. If you paid $10 for your seat and then bid $5 - and it's the winning bid - you'll pay the extra $5 so your total cost will be $15. I think they notify the winning bidder(s) 24 hours in advance?? (I've never done it myself)

https://www.amtrak.com/bidup

there are minimum amounts Amtrak will except--dont think one can get a roomette for 5 bucks LOL. I know when i try bidding up for business class on the Vermonter, cheapest price on the "bid up meter' for in state Vermont travel is about 15 bucks and the odds of winning at that amount is "poor" per the bid up meter when ive tried. For business class seats on at least the Vermonter they have up to an hour or so before departure to let you know. Maybe for rooms on trains that have em they give you more notice I dont know.

there are minimum amounts Amtrak will except--dont think one can get a roomette for 5 bucks LOL. I know when i try bidding up for business class on the Vermonter, cheapest price on the "bid up meter' for in state Vermont travel is about 15 bucks and the odds of winning at that amount is "poor" per the bid up meter when ive tried. For business class seats on at least the Vermonter they have up to an hour or so before departure to let you know. Maybe for rooms on trains that have em they give you more notice I dont know.
Do they let you know what $ amount the winning bid was.

I

I haven’t tried it myself, so can’t answer for sure, but I would doubt they would release that info, since it it could negatively affect future upgrade bids, from their perspective…
I’m just wondering if they set a limit on the low end. I’ve read some what seem like ridiculous low bids. Do they ever pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back