One train one day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Things have a tendancy to change in a hurry, that's what I learned today. I boarded 98 this morning in Ft Lauderdale (with my Mom, it's my Grandma's birthday so we came up to celebrate). Both of the regular Conductors were off duty, one was up front qualifying, the other had just marked off. We made the usual run, with very little delay (to West Palm) except for a stop signal at NE Lake Worth. Pulled in at West Palm to meet Viewliner and family on the ground, they went to their room, B in the 11. Viewliner had breakfast in the Diner with his family, I went ahead and just relaxed up in the dorm with the AC, a good friend of mine. The Dorm today was 2500, the prototype dorm with the one and only smoking room, I got pics of course. Viewliner and I chatted in the lounge for a little while, until we pulled in siding at Ridge (SX870) to meet P089, which was only up at Avon Park (SX860) when we pulled in (the siding at Hartt is out of service for some work they're doing on the main). So we waited a good long while for 89, and he came cookin along when he passed up. (Just for the record the track on the siding at Ridge looks more like that of an abandoned line than that of one that's in service, but it did have a 10 MPH slow order on it.) Once we pulled in at Sebring there was a switch train with lumber coming over from the South Florida Central Line waiting to get out behind us (Engines 5525 and 4319). Poked on along pretty well until we got up around Davenport (A825) where there was a dark signal from where the code line had dropped out. Got up to Kissimmee, and then waited a good little while for 91 at Taft, we held the main. At Orlando a whole pile of people got on (and the baggage to go with it), 109 people in Coach, 33 in sleepers, and 3 floats of baggage, our times tell the story, 12 and 39. Got off at the Park and came to my Grandparents house. Since we were an hour late off of 98, and 97 was on time (shock and awe) we decided to stay over tonight and go home tomorrow afternoon on 97. Now according to Murphy's Law 97 will be at least two hours late tomorrow. I'll let y'all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back