Only first passenger sees reservation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Facts:
  • I made 4 reservations (overnight stops both directions) for a single trip and all at the same time with a single agent and using points for one segment.
  • One segment has my wife first (and listed as primary) showing her to be disabled (non-disabled room) and me to be a senior and the other three show me to be disabled and her to be a senior (also non-disabled rooms). Don't know how that happened.
  • Reservations made on my credit card and using my points.
  • One reservation had to be changed because they had put us in roomettes across from each other (but in different cars!) The others are BRs and FR.
  • One segment has her AGR number left off.
When I go on to the App or the web page, I can see only 3 of them when I list reservations and she sees the fourth. The one she see is the one she is listed first on. Is the system really that dumb that if you are not the first listed person, you cannot see the reservation? Now, note, if I search for any of the reservations by its number and put in our last name, we can see that one reservation. After all, although one of us "owns" the room, we both have paid a rail fare. And for where we each have a roomette, we each have a room charge.

Before I call Amtrak, I'm hoping someone here will tell me there is an error in the system because when they travel with others, each can list all the reservations because their name is on it.

Well, the AGR reservation has to be a separate reservation since cash and points can't be combined on one

Are the other three separate reservations with different locator numbers? Just because they are multiple segments doesn't mean they all can't be on one reservation.

Amtrak will only list reservations held as the primary ticketholder on a given person's account to my knowledge. It sounds like 4 separate reservations with 3 with you as primary, one with your wife as primary. Yes the system is likely that "dumb". It is what is is.

In terms of travel, just make sure all passengers are listed on each reservation. For travel purposes, it doesn't matter who's primary.

Honestly, if all passengers are on the reservations, the fares are correct, and the AGR numbers are there, it sounds like a harmless glitch, caused by the sequence in which the agent entered the info.

And if everything is otherwise correct, I wouldn't mess with it just to have your name first so it will show on your list. Depending on the skills of the agent you get, changing anything beyond adding a missing agr number might cause a reprice. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I have found in the past that the first name on the reservation gets the points for the room.

All the reservations have different numbers and, since we have a layover, it is best because I can check periodically to see if prices have gone down and have them "modify" that reservation w/o affecting the others.

My only concern is that my wife is "technology challenged" and if they don't all show up in one place, it will make me nervous. If Amtrak suddenly does something to one of them, she'll get the email and not ever read it and it won't show up in my app. She doesn't use apps except phone, SMS, Firefox, and VPN.

While my wife would probably not need or want to use her cane on board, she would use it in Chicago Union Station and, of course, wherever we walk around if more than a short distance. So she doesn't appear handicapped at all. I, although also not appearing very handicapped, have a "Service Connected" VA card and that's sufficient proof for Amtrak.

Interesting enough, in spite of her inability to walk distances (she is scheduled for second knee replacement after our trip), she is a great '60s fast rock dancer. Of course, after we go dancing, she does pay the price but it doesn't stop us from dancing.

What I'd do, then, is just look up the one under your wife's name every so often to make sure everything is okay.

And yes, the primary on the reservation will get the points for the accommodation charge. Any other passengers will just get points for their rail fare, assuming their agr number is entered.

Yes, I'm always very careful about who's "primary" on the reservation. It's always one person's reservation with the others as "added passengers".

Back