Open sleeper ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtkstn

OBS Chief
On a upcoming trip in May a friend that is riding with me in the same roomette is set up with open sleeper ticket. It was just announced the station of Newton Kansas(both our departing station) is losing its agent. He is to pick the paper ticket at the station prior to boarding. What are my options to get this ticket?

I can't directly answer your question, but the conductor should have his name on his reservation screen.

I connected from San Antonio to Denver in August and there were about two dozen of us transfers to Trains 3 and 4, plus about another two dozen originating in Newton. From eavesdropping while waiting for a minor delay it seemed that many of the customers were high-dollar fares. The agent was busy. Are off-seasons really low?

I can't directly answer your question, but the conductor should have his name on his reservation screen.

I connected from San Antonio to Denver in August and there were about two dozen of us transfers to Trains 3 and 4, plus about another two dozen originating in Newton. From eavesdropping while waiting for a minor delay it seemed that many of the customers were high-dollar fares. The agent was busy. Are off-seasons really low?
The open sleeper tickets are one of the few tickets left that are paper "value" tickets, not etickets. So they are not going to show up other than on a manifest, which is not valid for transportation. They'll have to have an actual ticket (not an eticket boarding pass).

Amtrak used to offer an option where a paper value ticket could be mailed. Call reservations and talk to them.

I’m confused!

You say you connected from SAS to DEN, then mention trains 3/4 and Newton. Neither train between SAS and DEN is 3/4, nor do they pass thru Newton!

On a upcoming trip in May a friend that is riding with me in the same roomette is set up with open sleeper ticket. It was just announced the station of Newton Kansas(both our departing station) is losing its agent. He is to pick the paper ticket at the station prior to boarding. What are my options to get this ticket?
Back before etickets, Amtrak would mail you a ticket....is that option still available? Maybe a call to Amtrak is in order.

Edit: zephyr17 made similiar comment above!

Not only is it a three hour drive one way, the station is open during the overnight hours. I live in Oklahoma.

The nearest staff station is a five hour drive one way in either FTW or DAL for me. A open sleeper is a paper ticket that can be only printed once and can not be replaced.

For my trip to Dallas for the 2019 Gathering, I booked a Round Trip Open Sleeper Ticket via Telephone on #22/#21/#421 ( $54 RT/Such a Deal!!)with with AU friends ( Paid for Rail Fare/ got to Share a Bedroom and Two Diner Meals each way AUS-DAL-AUS) and was Mailed an Old Style Paper Ticket.

The Conductor said it had been a long time since hed seen one of those tickets.

The Agent in Dallas redid my Return Ticket for #21/#421 DAL-AUS to an e-ticket with difficulty since it wouldn't scan due to the new rules for Open Sleeper ticketing.

There is a bus connection from OKC to Newton
Correct. I submitted my itinerary in another thread after I made the western circle tour in 2019. From San Antonio I changed at Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, Newton and Raton, ending up at DEB or DEN. I just checked and it still comes up in the Amtrak reservation website.

Back