Option to transfer to the same train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crescent2

Conductor
I was reading a thread on Alpine TX, and the Holland Hotel, got interested and then did a "what if" check on amtrak.com. (Yes, I have lots of spare time!)

Alpine to NOL shows two options:

The Sunset Limited straight through to NOL.

The Sunset Limited to SAS, and transfer (hour and a half layover) to the Sunset Limited in SAS to NOL.

Both options leave Alpine at the same time and date and both get to New Orleans at the same time and date, so it has to be the same train (SL). The one with the transfer in San Antonio is a little more expensive. The date I plugged in was March 8, 2018, arriving in NOL on the 9th.

Why would it offer a transfer to the same train one was already on? What would be a reason to do that? I'm guessing it would be to a different car, but...transfer to the train you were already on? IIRC, the SL does something with part of another train, but still. Every option says only "Sunset Limited."

I know things about our beloved Amtrak sometimes don't make sense, but someone please explain the above to me. Just curious!

Are the numbers the same? The portion of the Sunset Limited west of San Antonio is also the Texas Eagle. Amtrak's reservations consider them two separate trains, SL #1 and TE #421 (#21 terminates in SAS).

THE Sunset Ltd #2 runs from LAX-NOL 3 times a week.

Attached to the back are 2 thru cars (Coach and,Sleeper) for the Texas Eagle #22 from San Antonio to Chicago.They are shown as Train #422 due to Limitations on Amtraks,web site.

If you ride in a #2 Car (Sleeper or Coach) from LAX-SAS you have to detrain in SAS and reboard the Texas Eagle #22/#422 @645am for the trip to CHI after waiting in the small,uncomfortable Amshak.

If you book Train #422 from LAX-CHI you can stay aboard during the layover and switching, but you will be on the tail end of the train to CHI and have the long walk to the Diner and SSL.

#422 is usually more expensive than #2/#22 to keep rooms open for thru passengers, but there are exceptions. Between SAS and CHI I book whichever is cheaper.

(SAME for the #21/#421 SB from CHI-SAS-LAX.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys, but I'm still wondering.

Yes, it is the #2 Sunset Limited. No mention of any other train number or name. (The Texas Eagle was the thing I was recalling, but there is no mention of the Texas Eagle or any other train numbers.) All options say "2 Sunset Limited." I took a screenshot but can't get it to upload.

And I wasn't going to Chicago, Jim-Bob. I was coming through to the Big Easy!

It really does show a transfer from "2 Sunset Limited" to the "2 Sunset Limited." ???

This is the best I could do for a "screenshot". Strange that it shows 2 twice. Probably a computer glitch.

$90.00 $112.00 $216.00 $281.00 8:45pm - 9:40pm (Mar 9)
24 hr, 55 min
2 Sunset Limited

$90.00 $112.00 $216.00 $323.00 8:45pm - 4:50am (Mar 9)
8 hr, 5 min
2 Sunset Limited

TRANSFER - SAS (1 hr, 35 min)
6:25am - 9:40pm
15 hr, 15 min
2 Sunset Limited

Back