Options to add another to reservations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortline

Conductor
I have business in LA next month. Long story short, I have two reservations, one BHM-WAS-CHI, then another one CHI-LAX.

Planned to go solo, but now the wife has time and is going to come with me. I have 4 companion coupons. Is there any way to use them to add her to the existing reservation? I’ve never tried that……

if not, why are my options? I could buy open sleeper tickets for her. Done that before. Or I could rebook, using the coupons, but pretty sure that will result in cancellation fees, right? Any suggestions? Also, will be upgrading roomettes to bedroom, at least on the 2 night Chief segment.

Rebooking probably will not result in cancellation fees if you do it over the phone.

You'll still get hit with wherever the current buckets are for your accommodation charges. As far as I know, the only way to hold the accommodation charge as it was at booking is open sleeper.

I'd call AGR, if you are a member. They'll work with you.

I am AGR, have been Select Executive for years, I travel a lot. But in this case doesn't seem to help. Apparently it will cost me either cancellation fees to rebook it with her on the coupons, or I can buy the open sleeper ticket for her-Talked to two different people. Both said the same thing, no other options. Oh well. Annie rarely goes with me, I am not sure I have ever used my companion coupons, that I recall, thought it might be nice to use them, but it looks like it will cost more to cancel than just buy her own ticket. Just thought though.....Wonder if I can buy her open sleeper ticket using points? Probably not, since my reservation was paid for. I guess I can call back and check that route to save some money, but not holding my breath.

As info, I was able to add my wife to my reservation using points. Wasn't sure they would let me do that, since I booked paying cash, for my ticket-I couldnt' change it/cancel it to use the companion coupons, but surprisingly, I was able to book her open sleeper ticket to my reservation using points, so that worked out. As info-I didn't know that was possible. Might be good to know for some.

I am AGR, have been Select Executive for years, I travel a lot. But in this case doesn't seem to help.
Regardless of policy this seems like one case when an exception benefits both parties. Making it easy to add someone to your room builds good will and would not have removed any revenue seats from being available for sale. I really think Amtrak dropped the ball with this.

*Edited for bad grammar

Last edited:
Yeah. They did, this is one area Amtrak COULD learn from the airlines where status actually matters. But after decades of regular riding most all of it for business, I've become quite used to "status" on Amtrak being all but worthless, and inconsistency the only consistent thing about it! It is what it is, not a huge deal. Just glad I was able to burn some points, and not have to pay, so it all works out in the end.

Back