ORD to Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Radvlad

Hi everyone. I'm taking Amtrak for the first time in March. I'm flying in to ORD and need to know the best way to get to Union Station. Taking this trip specifically for the train :)

The easiest way is to take the Blue Line (CTA) directly from O'Hare. It boards in the lower level of Terminal 2. There are plenty of signs around the airport that will help you find your way to the train.

You can buy a Ventra pass at the turnstiles; the machines accept cash and credit. It will cost $5 to travel from O'Hare to Union Station.

The trip will take about 45-50 minutes. Get off at Clinton and walk a couple blocks north to Union Station.

Clinton is not an accessible station, so if stairs are an issue, you'll want to get off at Jackson instead and hop on the #151 bus on Adams. That bus will take you straight to Union Station.

And don't try to do the Blue Line during the rush hour if you have lots of luggage. Unless they have added luggage racks, there's no place to put luggage except on a seat or in the aisle.

On weekdays you can take Metra's North Central Line directly to Union Station. On the O'Hare end, it involves riding the People Mover to a remote parking lot and then transferring to a bus. Be sure to check the train schedule ahead of time since service isn't all that frequent and there is none on weekends and holidays.

Blue line works well during non-rush hour with frequent departures. Keep in mind that ORD flights are scheduled based on a perfect scenario, so if someone looks cross-eyed there are delays. Make sure you have contingency plan(s) if delayed. Winter and Spring storms cause frequent issues.

Does anyone know how much a cab would cost?
About $45-50. You can share a cab from O'Hare to downtown for a flat rate of $24/person.

You're also at the mercy of traffic. I'm not sure what time your flight arrives, but the Kennedy gets super congested during rush hour. I love passing stopped traffic while riding the Blue Line. :)

Honestly, if the schedule works, Metra's North Central Service (pdf) is more convenient (at least to me) than the Blue Line from O'Hare to Union Station, especially if you have a fair amount of luggage. It still requires that you're able to lift your luggage up onto the train, but doesn't require a lot of long walks with luggage (or more than the couple stairs onto the train with luggage, where some Blue Line stops, including Clinton, require going up stairs with luggage.)

The Blue Line isn't a bad option, though, and in my opinion beats a cab unless I just can't handle the luggage by myself.

The METRA option is good since it goes directly into Union Station and only takes 40+ minutes, but the train times are limited (useful departures: 7:48A, 10:03A, 11:58A, 3:58P) and plan enough time to get from your terminal to the station, especially if the weather is poor. The fare is only $5.75, there is no METRA agent and I am not aware of a ticketing machine, so the purchase on board surcharge would be waived.

The METRA option is good since it goes directly into Union Station and only takes 40+ minutes, but the train times are limited (useful departures: 7:48A, 10:03A, 11:58A, 3:58P) and plan enough time to get from your terminal to the station, especially if the weather is poor. The fare is only $5.75, there is no METRA agent and I am not aware of a ticketing machine, so the purchase on board surcharge would be waived.
Correct - there's no ticketing machine or agent, so tickets can either be purchased on board with cash (change up to $20 is made, I believe) or can be purchased with credit card if someone has a smartphone with the Ventra app and purchases the ticket through there.

And don't try to do the Blue Line during the rush hour if you have lots of luggage. Unless they have added luggage racks, there's no place to put luggage except on a seat or in the aisle.
There's plenty of space for luggage when you're getting on at a terminus. I did it all the time, never with an issue. Going Union to ORD is a different story.

So, exactly how do you get to the Metra Stop from O'Hare? We tried the Blue Line Clinton Stop last time, but the stairs were too much for carrying 2 large suitcases.

I have always used the frequent service blue line, and for around $3 it is a good bet. Luggage is not too much of a problem... after all, it connects with a major international airport, so other passengers are used to seeing suitcases on the trains!

Full directions on getting to the Metra at ORD would be helpfull, I know it exists, but never saw any info on it at the airport?

Ed. :cool:

To get to the Metra station at ORD, you have to take the airport people mover/transit system to the Remote Parking station and transfer to an airport shuttle bus which continues to another parking area next to the Metra station. (I believe there are plans in the works to extend the airport people mover to that last parking area, so the transfer to the bus would no longer be needed - not sure what the timeline on that being constructed is, though.)

So, the Blue Line cars now have luggage racks?
I don't think so. I rode it last May and just had my bag next to me, but out of the way. It helped that it was a Saturday. I imagine it's the same as with Washington's Metro that goes to DCA (Reagan Int'l). I've seen bags on those cars.

Honestly, it is possible to take luggage on the blue line without using a luggage rack, many folk do it. Yes it can get in the way, yes it might be better if there were places to store luggage, but we are all humans, we can manage... trust me!

The London Underground serves all Heathrow terminals, no London Underground trains have luggage racks yet millions of passengers use the Tube, with their suitcases, to access Heathrow...

Chill !

Ed. :cool:

When we had the Gathering in Chicago in 2013 a bunch of AUers stayed out by O'Hare ( was it Rosemont?) and commuted via the Blue Line to Union Station.

Arriving and Leaving several of us had Luggage and our carryons and while the car was crowded, we didn't having any real problems.

It can be a challenge during rush hours, but even then you're unlikely to be the only person with luggage on the Blue Line to/from O'Hare.

I simply did not want the O.P. guest to spend out $+++ on a taxi, just because someone here said that the blue line would not be good with luggage... It is pretty ok, rush hour or not, as you are boarding at the start and can arrange your cases easily.

Ed :cool:

I used to travel on the Blue Line for work. Seeing people with suitcases is No Big Deal, even during rush hour. Everyone knows that line goes to O'Hare, and everyone expects to see luggage.

The polite travelers either put their suitcase on their lap, if possible, or tuck it as far out of the way as possible. Sometimes, though, people have a large suitcase, and there's simply nowhere to put it. In that case, people just stand next to it like it's another person taking up space. If someone has their suitcase on a seat, you simply ask if they can please move it so you can sit down.

I see no point to discouraging someone to use the Blue Line, especially since it's only $5 to ride from O'Hare to the Loop. I'd much rather tuck my suitcase next to me just like everyone else than do the hop-skip-jump to the Metra, especially considering Metra's schedule. If you aren't traveling during "rush hour", you wait anywhere from 2-4 hours for the next train. The Blue Line departs every 4-10 minutes and is easily accessed from Terminal 2.

If you don't want to haul luggage up the stairs at Clinton, you do what I mentioned in my first post: get off at Jackson, which is an accessible station, and hop on the #151 bus on Adams St. Easy peasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to travel on the Blue Line for work. Seeing people with suitcases is No Big Deal, even during rush hour. Everyone knows that line goes to O'Hare, and everyone expects to see luggage.

The polite travelers either put their suitcase on their lap, if possible, or tuck it as far out of the way as possible. Sometimes, though, people have a large suitcase, and there's simply nowhere to put it. In that case, people just stand next to it like it's another person taking up space. If someone has their suitcase on a seat, you simply ask if they can please move it so you can sit down.

I see no point to discouraging someone to use the Blue Line, especially since it's only $5 to ride from O'Hare to the Loop. I'd much rather tuck my suitcase next to me just like everyone else than do the hop-skip-jump to the Metra, especially considering Metra's schedule. If you aren't traveling during "rush hour", you wait anywhere from 2-4 hours for the next train. The Blue Line departs every 4-10 minutes and is easily accessed from Terminal 2.

If you don't want to haul luggage up the stairs at Clinton, you do what I mentioned in my first post: get off at Jackson, which is an accessible station, and hop on the #151 bus on Adams St. Easy peasy.
I got off at Jackson and walked. It's a bit of a walk, maybe 5-6 blocks??, but it was doable for me with what I had.

I got off at Jackson and walked. It's a bit of a walk, maybe 5-6 blocks??, but it was doable for me with what I had.
Yeah, it's not a bad walk at all, but some people who don't want to carry a suitcase up a flight of stairs don't want to drag it 5-6 blocks either. ;) I'm trying to please everyone, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back