order Domino's pizza while you're riding on the train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With most trains coming through town once a day, this would be an experience that would completely disrupt travel plans. I can't think of anything that would be worth the risk of doing this.
The reason for this risk has already been explained- getting a good pizza.

What part of that do you not understand? :D

Alternately, once a person gets a pizza delivered aboard a train, you'd think the people who own the place would get onboard with the idea (not literally, of course). They could advertise specials for people on the train, track train status, & have a driver show up with multiple pies when the train arrives. Or, even better, arrange with whomever owns the station to be a vendor there, & sell pizza by the slice.
Certain stops you can do it- but why take the chance?

Pack your own food. I've said it before and I'll say it again- I survived a round trip on the EB and CL (ALC to PDX, a day in SEA and back to ALC) and I did it on a backpack full of candy, nuts, and granola. One soup and sandwhich meal in CHI on the way up, and some ramens on the way back-

Cheap.
I usually pack food for the first day, but since I generally travel alone, I try to keep my suitcases and carryons light. I've seen people take heavy coolers full of pop, sandwiches and everything but the kitchen sink. It just doesn't look like a whole lot of fun lugging all that through the station.
I don't do that. No point- so many things are non perishible these days. If you don't believe me, stop by your local camping store lol.

I had, literally, just one backpack of food and supplies. I considered it an adventure-

As for drinks- get a couple 8oz bottles of water (the short fat ones) that fit under the Amspouts in the Superliners and pack some of those instant teas if you really need flavor in your drink. Keep refilling them.

Whether I'm in Coach or Sleeper, I'll stick a 6 pack of soda (plastic bottles), a can or 2 of nuts or snack mix and some candy bars or other treats in my grip. That gives a good variety of light eating to fill in between meals and "heavy snacks" from the Lounge. Plus you have some nibbles on hand at night when the Lounge is closed.

hello dominos i would like to order 2 larg deep dish pizzas one round one square. location. um about 1 hour from the San Antonio train station. :D

I don't do that. No point- so many things are non perishible these days. If you don't believe me, stop by your local camping store lol.
I had, literally, just one backpack of food and supplies. I considered it an adventure-

As for drinks- get a couple 8oz bottles of water (the short fat ones) that fit under the Amspouts in the Superliners and pack some of those instant teas if you really need flavor in your drink. Keep refilling them.
I traveled like this all through college: a sack of peanut butter sandwiches and a collapsable cup for the Amspout. It helps when you are young, can sleep anywhere, and don't have much money.

If you're older and have more pronounced habits, it's not as fun.

I traveled like this all through college: a sack of peanut butter sandwiches and a collapsable cup for the Amspout. It helps when you are young, can sleep anywhere, and don't have much money.

If you're older and have more pronounced habits, it's not as fun.
I find it funny that PBJ sandwiches became popular in the army because they were non-perishable, but not a das theres so much crap in them, they never survive more than a day...

That gives a good variety of light eating to fill in between meals ...
Wow, the last thing I want on a LD train journey, is MORE FOOD. I end up eating far, far more than I usually do all because I feel that since it is free (ok, already paid for), I need to gobble up as much as I possibly can, and then slowly waddle back to my room.

When I took my 'round-the-country trip last year (BAL-POR-PDX-SAN-SAS-CHI-NOL-ATL-BAL) despite all of things I expected/anticipated (cabin fever, fatigue, bad ordered equipment, etc), the one thing that caught me by surprise was total lack of appetite, yet looking for the next meal announcement. For me at least, after about two weeks on the train, I found myself pacing my days by meal times, and while I got very tired of the diner food pretty quickly, it was my only sense of schedule throughout the day, so I kept finding myself looking forward to that next meal. It was a very weird feeling, to be sure.

-Rafi

Aloha

Don't know about Domino's, but Pizza Hut uses a nation wide number to rout calls to the nearest store. Initially I could not use my cell phone as it connected me to the wrong side of the island, as outside of the store delivery zone. Just think of the phone moving at 80mph trying to connect to the closest store.

And then there could be a clerk like the one I got at the Seattle Holiday Inn that would take my message about Arriving late as "Seattle did not have train service". I had to get the manager to deliver the message to the others in my party that flew in about my arrival to be sure my room was not canceled.

When a train stops in the middle of nowhere in China (for whatever reason, breakdown, etc) local townspeople often come to the train and sell noodles and snacks to the passengers. The passengers just open the car windows. I saw this happen a number of times while i was there.

When a train stops in the middle of nowhere in China (for whatever reason, breakdown, etc) local townspeople often come to the train and sell noodles and snacks to the passengers. The passengers just open the car windows. I saw this happen a number of times while i was there.
Probably not the safest idea- but hey, if it works for the Chinese haha!

Wait... how would those of us on the upper level of the Superliners get food?

:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting pizza delivery sounds like a fantastic idea. In Albuquerque there's an ice cream place kind of kaddy corner from the station. They don't deliver, but if it's not too crowded, you'll have plenty of time to get a sundae or cone or whatever. It's a nice change of pace from train food.

Yep. It's their local "Coldstone Creamery." And you're right if is not crowded, it is easy with some time to spare.

OBS gone freight...

With most trains coming through town once a day, this would be an experience that would completely disrupt travel plans. I can't think of anything that would be worth the risk of doing this.
The reason for this risk has already been explained- getting a good pizza.

What part of that do you not understand? :D

Alternately, once a person gets a pizza delivered aboard a train, you'd think the people who own the place would get onboard with the idea (not literally, of course). They could advertise specials for people on the train, track train status, & have a driver show up with multiple pies when the train arrives. Or, even better, arrange with whomever owns the station to be a vendor there, & sell pizza by the slice.

This reminds me of certain countries e.g. Pakistan where I lived and worked for almost 2 years. the platforms are literally kitchens, when a train stops, everything is available and offered, fresh and hot.

Keep in mind that the conductors instruct passengers to stay ON the platform when the train is stopped in the station. Leaving the station to get pizza, food, drinks, or anything else is an invitation to getting left. With most trains coming through town once a day, this would be an experience that would completely disrupt travel plans. I can't think of anything that would be worth the risk of doing this.
Trust me, Pepes Pizza is worth the risk. And NHV is quite a long stop and the pizza delivery guy met the passenger on the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back