order Domino's pizza while you're riding on the train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimSpencer

Train Attendant
I rode the Palmetto again yesterday....

I was chatting with a guy in the cafe car.... we were wondering if it's possible for someone riding Amtrak(the Palmetto, for

example) to order a Domino's pizza. Let's say I call Domino's and tell them that my train will be stopping in Richmone, VA,

in about 40 minutes, do you think they'll accept the order and send the driver to the station with a hot pizza? (assuming I

had checked with the conductor to verify the trains actual time of arrival into the station) I can just stand on the platform and

wait, hand the money to the pizza guy and get the pizza...

Is this possible at all? (or perhpas has already been done before?)

Thanks! :)

I work for a frieght RR and I have seen it done a couple times in several different places. But these were local pizza places not Dominos. The calls go something like this "I'd like to place an order......I'm on a train that will be stopping behind your place in a few minutes........Yes I'm serious, we'll be pulling up in about 10 minutes".

I don't think Amtrak would mind, as long as it is a stop that passengers are allowed to exit for a few minutes (for a quick smoke?). I don't think the conductor would allow any passenger to de-train if that would possibly cause them delaying their departure.

I would certainly plan on giving the delivery person a rather generous tip for (1) taking the risk, (2) finding a place to park at the station, (3) waiting for train, and (4) finding you.

Kind-of going off topic a bit, but I remember years ago getting stuck in a massive traffic jam that wasn't moving. On the other side of the highway fence was a pizza joint. I sat there wondering if we called from the car (cell phones were new and rare back then), and asked them to deliver a pizza to the fence behind their store, if they would have taken the order seriously.

Last time I was on the EB (Westbound from SEA to CHI) a couple of guys ordered Dominos in Minot. They delivered. But we were running on time... even a few minutes early.

I wouldn't do it though- simply because the train can be on time one minute, and then 2 hours later the next. Its risky for the delivery man- a HIGH tip is in order. Also, do it at a smoking stop. Make sure you can get off the train and get let back on before you try that. As we all know, Amtrak has no quabbles about leaving people behind

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on a regional in July 2008 from TRE to BOS, which passes through NHV. Anyone who has ever lived in New Haven knows that the BEST pizza in the entire country is there - Pepe's. I am a huge pizza afficianado and this is a coal fired pizza, real old school style with a thin crust, huge chunks of tomatoes, etc.

Anyways, a guy in my coach ordered Pepe's Pizza. He placed the order about 90 minutes ahead of time and asked them to meet him on the platform. NHV is a good place to do this because its a longer stop. He told them what time we were scheduled to arrive and also said he would call back and if it seemed like we were delayed. He was sitting about two rows behind me on his side, so I heard his entire conversation.

We got to NHV, he got off the train, and he got back on in about three minutes with his two giant pies. I was extremely jealous - why didn't *I* think of that?

Next time I am on an NE corridor train passing through NHV, I might try this.

Word of warning, don't do it at Atlanta. I doubt the pizza guy would want to run all the way down those stairs after trying to park in the what, half-dozen spaces? Unless you gave him a tip worth as much as the pizza itself :p

Word of warning, don't do it at Atlanta. I doubt the pizza guy would want to run all the way down those stairs after trying to park in the what, half-dozen spaces? Unless you gave him a tip worth as much as the pizza itself :p
Haha. The stop in Atlanta is usually pretty lengthy (15-20 mins), so you could go up the stairs outside of the station, get the pizza from him, and go back down to the train.

That parking situation is an absolute joke. I cannot express to you how much I think Atlanta needs a new train station that would connect Amtrak to MARTA and leave room for future commuter rail expansion (ATL -> Savannah).

That parking situation is an absolute joke. I cannot express to you how much I think Atlanta needs a new train station that would connect Amtrak to MARTA and leave room for future commuter rail expansion (ATL -> Savannah).
And it ought to be prepared for the possibility of someday having hourly high speed rail service to Washington, Florida, and St Louis or some similar set of destinations.

I thought about it . . . but as mentioned before the risk of an unplanned delay is a problem. You have to call at least 40 minutes ahead of time to give them time to make the pizza, and get to the station to deliver it. It just takes one stop for a freight for everything to get fouled up. Of course Murphy's law of railroading would go into affect meaning that the freight would probably break down before reaching the meet spot, causing you to sit there for 2 hours and the pay a big tip for a cold pizza.

I thought about it . . . but as mentioned before the risk of an unplanned delay is a problem. You have to call at least 40 minutes ahead of time to give them time to make the pizza, and get to the station to deliver it. It just takes one stop for a freight for everything to get fouled up. Of course Murphy's law of railroading would go into affect meaning that the freight would probably break down before reaching the meet spot, causing you to sit there for 2 hours and the pay a big tip for a cold pizza.
And thus owing Dominos a couple hundred bucks.

The lack of MARTA connection does seem pretty ridiculous.

About a year ago while riding the Texas Eagle some pax in Coach were wanting to replenish their liquor supply and with Longview TX about 30 minutes away, I suggested they call someone who could look up the name of a liquar store, phone the store to get the order ready and see how close they are to the station. It turns out the liquor store they picked was within eye sight of the station, giving one of the guys in the group time to run over, pick up the order, get back to the train and still squeeze in a smoke.

The lack of MARTA connection does seem pretty ridiculous.
Atlanta's entire mass transit system is a joke. The city's infrastructure has seriously deteriorated since the Olympics.

MARTA can't even mark bus stops in a reasonable fashion. That's how bad it is.

About a year ago while riding the Texas Eagle some pax in Coach were wanting to replenish their liquor supply and with Longview TX about 30 minutes away, I suggested they call someone who could look up the name of a liquar store, phone the store to get the order ready and see how close they are to the station. It turns out the liquor store they picked was within eye sight of the station, giving one of the guys in the group time to run over, pick up the order, get back to the train and still squeeze in a smoke.
Its against Amtrak policy for coach passengers to bring their own alcohol on board the train.

Its against Amtrak policy for coach passengers to bring their own alcohol on board the train.
And this stops idiots how?

And this stops idiots how?
it doesnt. people still bring their alcohol on board. But you helped "the idiots". Nothing annoys me more than a bunch of drunkerds in coach. spoils the whole trip for everyone. I dont even think they should sell alcohol in the lounge car. Ive seen people get into fights after drinking alcohol from there. If sleeping car passengers want to drink it in their rooms, well ok, but thats enough, in my opinion.

Getting pizza delivery sounds like a fantastic idea. In Albuquerque there's an ice cream place kind of kaddy corner from the station. They don't deliver, but if it's not too crowded, you'll have plenty of time to get a sundae or cone or whatever. It's a nice change of pace from train food.

Keep in mind that the conductors instruct passengers to stay ON the platform when the train is stopped in the station. Leaving the station to get pizza, food, drinks, or anything else is an invitation to getting left. With most trains coming through town once a day, this would be an experience that would completely disrupt travel plans. I can't think of anything that would be worth the risk of doing this.

With most trains coming through town once a day, this would be an experience that would completely disrupt travel plans. I can't think of anything that would be worth the risk of doing this.
The reason for this risk has already been explained- getting a good pizza.

What part of that do you not understand? :D

Alternately, once a person gets a pizza delivered aboard a train, you'd think the people who own the place would get onboard with the idea (not literally, of course). They could advertise specials for people on the train, track train status, & have a driver show up with multiple pies when the train arrives. Or, even better, arrange with whomever owns the station to be a vendor there, & sell pizza by the slice.

With most trains coming through town once a day, this would be an experience that would completely disrupt travel plans. I can't think of anything that would be worth the risk of doing this.

Alternately, once a person gets a pizza delivered aboard a train, you'd think the people who own the place would get onboard with the idea (not literally, of course). They could advertise specials for people on the train, track train status, & have a driver show up with multiple pies when the train arrives. Or, even better, arrange with whomever owns the station to be a vendor there, & sell pizza by the slice.
Certain stops you can do it- but why take the chance?

Pack your own food. I've said it before and I'll say it again- I survived a round trip on the EB and CL (ALC to PDX, a day in SEA and back to ALC) and I did it on a backpack full of candy, nuts, and granola. One soup and sandwhich meal in CHI on the way up, and some ramens on the way back-

Cheap.

I've actually ordered take-out from the Wild Wings Cafe in Charlottesville, which is part of the Charlottesville station building. They were all too happy to meet me on the platform and deliver the food to the room! (The Cardinal was running late and the dining car had run out of anything I felt like eating).

Rafi

Certain stops you can do it- but why take the chance?

Pack your own food. I've said it before and I'll say it again- I survived a round trip on the EB and CL (ALC to PDX, a day in SEA and back to ALC) and I did it on a backpack full of candy, nuts, and granola. One soup and sandwhich meal in CHI on the way up, and some ramens on the way back-

Cheap.
I usually pack food for the first day, but since I generally travel alone, I try to keep my suitcases and carryons light. I've seen people take heavy coolers full of pop, sandwiches and everything but the kitchen sink. It just doesn't look like a whole lot of fun lugging all that through the station.

I have always entertained the thought of trying to run to White Castle near the St. Louis station, but it's just a bit too far to take the chance. They are so close to the tracks a good toss could get a sack of sliders into an open door as the train passes. I did mention one time to the Conductor if he comes along with me, I'll buy him lunch and he indicated that was a deal he could almost go for :)

Remember the old mail bags that would be grabbed by the RPO car on its way down the line? Why not reintroduce the system but with Pizza delivery or other fast food items! They'd have to be packed to withstand being flung from the rod into the train, but hey, why not?

Remember the old mail bags that would be grabbed by the RPO car on its way down the line? Why not reintroduce the system but with Pizza delivery or other fast food items! They'd have to be packed to withstand being flung from the rod into the train, but hey, why not?
Sliders probably wouldn't even notice it.......they can withstand anything, even stomach acid....

but I still like em.....

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back