Oregon may cut its two Portland-Eugene trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
From the Oregonian, 6/23/03:

State may cut off train service between Eugene and PortlandPORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Amtrak service between Eugene and Portland may soon come to a sudden halt, if the Oregon Legislature decides to cut off a $10 million subsidy that keeps the trains running between the two cities.
The entire story is here.

Greenlick said the state should tap lottery or tourism money to keep the trains running.
I hope that happens, the Cascades are my favorite route and I would like to work onboard the trains when I am older. But if the PDX-EUG route does get cut I think Amtrak should make a 2nd SEA-VAC trains service.

Many of the states have budget problems this year. It will be interesting to see where the troubled states put rail service in their priorities.

amtrakadirondack said:
Greenlick said the state should tap lottery or tourism money to keep the trains running.
I hope that happens, the Cascades are my favorite route and I would like to work onboard the trains when I am older. But if the PDX-EUG route does get cut I think Amtrak should make a 2nd SEA-VAC trains service.
A.A.,

Unfortunately a second Seattle-Vancouver train has been one of Amtrak's desires, but there is some resistance from the province of British Columbia. Obviously they have to pony up their share, just like Washington State does, and just like Oregon threatens not to do. That is why the second train north of Seattle (Trains 513/516 on the timetable) goes as far as Bellingham, just shy of the international border. The equipment made available by a potential termination of service south of Portland won't be redeployed elsewhere on the Cascades Corridor.

I thought the amount was $9.2 million. Now it's $10 million. Just exactly how much is it supposed to cost? Adding more money to the amount needed doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back