Oregon small towns

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwestern

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Here is a link to some of the interesting and historic small towns in Oregon:

https://is.gd/RekIUJ
I've been to Sisters (back in July) and Cottage Grove. I've never been to Brownsville, Jacksonville, or Shaniko. Has anyone?

I have always wanted to see Jacksonville. One of these days, I would like to take the Starlight from Martinez to Klamath Falls. Then a POINT bus from Klamath to the Medford airport to pick up a rental car. A visit to Jacksonville for an overnight stay. Then to Medford for a visit to Harry and David's (if I can afford one of their fruit baskets :( ), and dinner at "Porters" restaurant (old SP depot). After that, a stay and overnight in Ashland. After dropping off the rental car at the Medford airport, a flight to Portland then a flight back to my home in Santa Rosa, CA.

If Brownsville and Shaniko are worthwhile, It would probably mean a separate trip as they are far to the north of Medford.

I've been to Jacksonville many times since I lived in nearby Ashland in the mid-60s. Been a few times since. Kind of touristy but still nice. However, since Talent and Phoenix (in between Ashland and Medford/Jacksonville) burnt to the ground a few years ago i think i'd find it hard to go there. If you do go the road to the coast through Cave Junction is nice. and scenic.

If you fish, there used to be very good fishing on the Rogue River, but I haven't done that in decades. It was something I did with my dad when I was young. The two roads from K Falls to Ashland are scenic too. and if you're in that part of the world it seems a shame to miss Crater Lake.

I live near (well, near in eastern Oregon terms...) Dayville, and it really is "adorable." But for my money, Fossil and Yachats are the best of the towns on that list, other than Jacksonville (think "Goldrush"). Fossil has the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument to visit, and also the most exquisite small courthouse you ever saw! Yachats is my absolute favorite town on the Oregon Coast. The walkable downtown is charming, and its residential area consists of mostly small, weathered cottages. The Oregon Coast Trail network extends up into the coastal rain forest on the Siuslaw National Forest. You can find the biggest spruce tree recorded.

Google maps says you can get to Ychats from the Eugene Amtrak station by taking the Eugene-Florence Connector (same bus as the Amtrak Thruway bus, so buy it with your train ticket). When you get to Florence, there's a quick connection to the Florence-Yachats Connector.

No public transit that I could find to Fossil - you would need a car to see the sights in any case.

I had a girlfriend, a long time ago, who lived in Yachats. I've never been there but it looks like a great place for a getaway vacation. I may take you up on the Eugene-Florence connector bus. This past summer, when I got to the train station in Eugene, there were no taxi's at the station. l called one that said it would be 1-1.5 hours before he could get to the station. Luckily, a taxi pulled up about a half-hour after I arrived. Looks like, the next time , I will have a list of Lyft and Uber numbers to call.

I was in Ashland 4-5 years ago. A fun little town (I didn't attend a play but enjoyed just walking around). There were wildfires in the area and everyone in Ashland was wearing a mask. Something to think about. Also, when in Ashland, I would like to drive down to McCloud and Dunsmuir.

Thanks for the info.

Richard

I had a girlfriend, a long time ago, who lived in Yachats. I've never been there but it looks like a great place for a getaway vacation. I may take you up on the Eugene-Florence connector bus. This past summer, when I got to the train station in Eugene, there were no taxi's at the station. l called one that said it would be 1-1.5 hours before he could get to the station. Luckily, a taxi pulled up about a half-hour after I arrived. Looks like, the next time , I will have a list of Lyft and Uber numbers to call.

I was in Ashland 4-5 years ago. A fun little town (I didn't attend a play but enjoyed just walking around). There were wildfires in the area and everyone in Ashland was wearing a mask. Something to think about. Also, when in Ashland, I would like to drive down to McCloud and Dunsmuir.

Thanks for the info.

Richard

Florence OR is one of my favorite places too! Great for walking around, eating out, and hiking (or four-wheeling if that's your thing) in the Dunes.

Florence OR is one of my favorite places too! Great for walking around, eating out, and hiking (or four-wheeling if that's your thing) in the Dunes.
Our veterans' reunion in 2008 included a day on the beach at Florence and it seemed that everyone enjoyed it. Even though I'm a native Oregonian and enjoy the beaches I had never stopped at Florence before.
16.jpg

Here is a link to some of the interesting and historic small towns in Oregon:

https://is.gd/RekIUJ
I've been to Sisters (back in July) and Cottage Grove. I've never been to Brownsville, Jacksonville, or Shaniko. Has anyone?

I have always wanted to see Jacksonville. One of these days, I would like to take the Starlight from Martinez to Klamath Falls. Then a POINT bus from Klamath to the Medford airport to pick up a rental car. A visit to Jacksonville for an overnight stay. Then to Medford for a visit to Harry and David's (if I can afford one of their fruit baskets :( ), and dinner at "Porters" restaurant (old SP depot). After that, a stay and overnight in Ashland. After dropping off the rental car at the Medford airport, a flight to Portland then a flight back to my home in Santa Rosa, CA.

If Brownsville and Shaniko are worthwhile, It would probably mean a separate trip as they are far to the north of Medford.
Regarding Brownsville, in 2008 our veterans' reunion toured the Marathon Coach factory. I don't know if individuals are able to visit, but it's worth looking into.
Luxury Motorhomes Manufacturer and Dealer | Marathon Coach - Marathon Coach

The town was the setting for the film Stand By Me. And it has a country music festival.

Regarding Jacksonville, on one occasion in the 1970's I was waiting in line at the Salem Amtrak station and the customer ahead of me wanted to buy a ticket to Jacksonville, Oregon. The interurban line from Medford to Jacksonville had been abandoned even before the 1955 end of SP passenger service between Salem and Medford. There was no bus link.

Now Rogue Valley Transit runs hourly bus service daily except Sundays and holidays between Medford and Jacksonville. Watch out for the last trip time.
https://rvtd.org/how-to-ride/

Back