Oregon To Purchase Two New Talgo Sets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds good. the portland area seems rail friendly. they don't build many new freeways but instead they build a new light rail extension or begin utilizing an exisitng line for commuter rail. i wonder how the new trainsets are funded? i love riding the talgos but not if we borrowed from china to pay for them

I especially like how Portland thought about rail ahead of time. When they built I-205 years ago, they built it with a wide median - with the EXPRESSED purpose of it being used by MAX - which wasn't built yet! :cool:

i read here that oregon is purchasing two trainsets, with stimulus money, as part of an order with wisconsin.

i read here that oregon is purchasing two trainsets, with stimulus money, as part of an order with wisconsin.
This is great. If I recall correctly, in Waiting on a Train the author found a huge difference between the political situations in Washington (state) and Oregon -- Washington had pretty widespread support for the Cascades and a lot of money, while Oregon had more resistance and not enough money for additional trainsets to get the frequencies they knew would bring more ridership. So, between 2008 and 2010 they got the money, they had the political will to use it for more trainsets to get those additional frequencies, and we can all hope it pays off as well as we expect it will! It's great to see the Cascades get more even support. Now if we could just get British Columbia into the picture with a few trainsets of their own and better border patrol procedures....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back