Orlando to Philly 10/22

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelkfla

Engineer
Took a 3-night trip from Kissimmee FL to Philly, 10/23-28. H-room on the Silver Star northbound (Meteor was either sold out or much higher fare), and Meteor back.

I got my parking pass at the station house, then drove across the tracks to the free parking garage. Star was about on time at KIS. With the SS back to its normal length, I boarded the 1st sleeper, a VL I, from the platform proper rather than the blacktop extension.

Even though the toilet and sink in the VL II H-room are out in the main room, it feels like there’s more space than in the VL I. I’ll try to remember to bring a tape measure on my November trip, when I’m booked in a VL I northbound and a VL II southbound. One disadvantage of the VL II H-room: it has a vent in the bottom half of the door which lets all the wheel noise in from the vestibule; the VL I has a solid door and is noticeably quieter.

I took meals in the diner, which was get your meals at the galley door and carry them back to your table. The diner was open for lounging between meals. I moved up to it when approaching Wash DC to get the nice views out the left side of the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument coming off the bridge over the Potomac, and of the Capitol before diving into the tunnel to Union Station.

Arriving in PHL in the evening, a Red Cap was there to meet me as promised by SCA Luther (not always the case in the past.) I’d been checking the radar on the way in and saw that there were showers moving through. I’d decided that I would call a Lyft if it were still raining, or just ride my scooter to Club Quarters Rittenhouse if not. The Red Cap first took me to the Lyft area, and it didn’t look like it was raining, so then he took me to the opposite side of the station nearest the city and pointed me down JFK Blvd. Turned out it wasn’t exactly raining, but there was a very heavy mist, and I got much wetter than expected. After checking in, I just had dinner at the Wendy’s a block away and retired.

On Wednesday morning I drove the ½ mile to SEPTA HQ and got a free senior transit pass, also checking out the interior of the PCC trolley that’s on display there. Then I took the Market-Frankford subway (locally called the El) 3 stops to Independence National Historical Park, and toured Independence Hall. The volunteer NPS tour guide was wonderful, as they always are. Then back on the El to the City Hall area to catch the 12 noon free concert on the world’s largest operational pipe organ in the Macy’s né Wanamaker store. After the concert, I viewed the massive organ console and chatted with the organ player. Then I drove down to &Pizza on Broad Street for an American Honey pizza: pizza sauce, arugula, pepperoni, goat cheese, and honey (and I added some peppers) on a crispy thin flatbread crust; love it! Then back to the park to view the Liberty Bell and some other buildings. By then my scooter batteries were running low, so I called it a day and headed back to the hotel.

Wednesday dinner was at a little cellar hole-in-the-wall called Farina Pasta & Noodles. It’s a startup by a local couple who make their own noodles and sauces. It’s geared to takeout and delivery, but they also have a half dozen tables squeezed into the tiny space. The Bolognese sauce was great, neither sweet nor over spiced, and a bit greasy as it should be. It could have used a bit more ground meat, but I enjoyed it.

First stop Thursday morning was the Mummers’ Museum in South Philly. I left the scooter in the room and took 2 buses to get there. The announcements on the 2nd bus were out of sync so I missed my stop, but in walking back I passed some streets with lovely Philadelphia row houses, so it was all good. The museum exceeded my expectations. It’s focused on displaying costumes from past parades, and there were dozens of them, as well as exhibits on how they’re constructed and what goes into parade preparation. Then they had a half dozen costumes on a rack for visitors to try on, complete with hats and parasols, and a display with step-by-step instructions on how to do the Mummers Strut. The lovely lady at the front desk gave me free DVDs of past parades. I highly recommend this museum to anyone who grew up watching the Mummers Parades on TV, as I did in the NYC area.

The afternoon was devoted to riding city transit. I tried to start with the El, but after waiting about 20 minutes on the platform, there was an announcement of a signal problem between the stop I was at and the preceding one, so I made my way to the trolley platform at the same station and boarded the 1st car that came along. The trolleys share the Market St. tunnel with the El going west past 34th St. then rise to the surface. The car I was on ran on street tracks shared with auto traffic; I enjoyed riding it out to the terminal loop in Darby. It was going out of service, so I had to transfer to another car. But then that car had some mechanical issue, and about 5 minutes from the terminal, everyone was kicked off onto the street before it turned towards the carbarn. Dark clouds were gathering, but the next car showed up before any serious rain fell. I grabbed the front seat and rode to the Center City loop under 13th St.

At 13th St. I found my way to the El platform for another try. The El cars have a half-width cab, with both a front door window and a railfan seat on the left! I stood at the front door until some kids who were in the railfan seat got off, and then took that over, riding out to the terminal at 69th St. The elevated structure appears to be all concrete. Personally, I prefer the rickety feeling of the steel structures in NYC and CHI. But the views were nice.

At 69th St., after wandering lost around the station for a while, I finally found the Norristown High Speed Line. It uses the Spanish Solution, and I went thru the turnstile to the exit platform instead of the boarding platform (I don’t know why that’s even possible.) And once you use your pass to go thru a turnstile, you can’t use it again to immediately go thru another turnstile at the same station. A kind local showed me the way around it: just push open the handicapped exit gate and walk thru it. Anyhow, this line turned out to be an unexpected highlight! Parts of the line wander through forested hills, and the fall foliage was beautiful. Other parts pass through residential areas of lovely houses amongst the foliage. And there were some brief views of mountains off to the west. The nature of this line sort of defies categorization. I suppose it’s closest to an LRT, with 2-car EMU’s running off 3rd rail on dedicated ROW. It feels like a commuter line, but runs every 15 minutes, and SEPTA lumps it in with their trolleys. I rode out to the Norristown terminal and back to 69th St., then grabbed the railfan seat on the El back to Center City. By now it was rush hour, so I quit for the day and took a couple of now frequently-running buses back to the hotel.

(to be continued)

(part 2)

Thursday was check-out day. Before check out, I took a bus over to Broad Street to check off a ride on the Broad Street subway. The Broad Street trains have full width cabs, but the door and railfan seat windows are not blocked, so you can still see out the front but not as well as on the El. I rode a local train a few stops north from Walnut St. to Girard, then crossed over to the southbound platform. I boarded what I thought was an express back to Walnut, but it turned out to be going on the Broad-Ridge Spur to 8th St. (I’d swear the announcement said Walnut.) So I had to ride it back to Girard and catch the correct train to Walnut. Between that and the bus running into traffic, I barely made it back in time for check out. And then the hotel disabled the card key 15 minutes early, so I had to run down to the desk to get another card to get my bags from my room!

I made it to check out with just a few minutes to spare, and drove the scooter to the 30th St. station (in much nicer weather than the trip over.) I found a Red Cap named Russ and asked him to take me up to the lounge so I could try to store my bags. He said there was no need, he would hold onto my bags and meet me in the lounge at departure time that afternoon. I explored the station a bit; there are some panels showing the history of the station with historic photos. The station is grand, but IMHO it comes in at 4th place behind GCT, Washington, and Chicago.

Then I went to Traveler’s Aid and asked for directions to the elevator to the El station (the El station is separate from the train station.) He said there was none; it’s blocked off by construction! The alternative was to take SEPTA Regional Rail to Suburban Station downtown and transfer there to the El. Which turned out for the best, because I got to ride 2 more trains: an ancient one with vestibule boarding and the engineer in the 1st car vestibule going downtown, and a newer one with center doors, a proper wheelchair space, and a neat flip-out bridge plate going back to the station. My objective was to take the El to 5th St. and drive at least part of the way across the Ben Franklin Bridge, as that is said the have the best views of the city skyline since both office tower observatories in Philly have shut down. Objective accomplished, but after the steep climb up the bridge, my scooter battery was on it’s last breath by the time I got back to the station.

Back at the station, I asked around whether I could bring food into the lounge, and eventually was directed to a ticket window where the agent said, “Sure, no problem.” I grabbed a mini at Jersey Mike’s, and not seeing Russ around, I happened to find the Red Cap who had met me at arrival, and he took me up in the elevator to the lounge. The lounge is very nice, with a variety of seating, some of it overlooking the station. I found a table with chairs under the TV playing CNN and enjoyed my sandwich. Then I headed down to the snack area at the other end: much nicer than Wash DC! They had Doritos, big chocolate chunk cookies by the same company that supplies the onboard brownies, and double-sized Snickers along with M&M’s and a couple of other candy bars. And of course, a soda fountain, cold bottles of water, and a working coffee machine. There's no reason Washington could not be as nice, if they would just fix all the broken stuff and stock it better.

Russ came up to the lounge about 20 minutes before departure and took me to the platform. The trip on the SM back to KIS, also in a VL I H-room, was uneventful, except for a delay before getting to Winter Park. I couldn’t quite figure out from the scanner what the problem was, except that there was a red signal and possibly a train ahead of us causing the delay. We arrived in KIS about 30 minutes late. Both SCA Pat and the LSA (whose name I didn't get) were excellent.

I’ve always wanted to see a Mummers Parade in person. I’m debating with myself whether to go back to Philly on New Years. Downsides are the weather, and that Amtrak sleeper fares appear to be at high bucket, with a RT around $1500. Hotel rooms don’t look much higher than they were for this trip. I’d hate to do it, but I may end up defecting to SWA for around $450 RT. I picked up an order form for bleacher seats, so I would not have to stake out a spot at 3 a.m. to get a decent view. I’ll have to mull it over some more.

Last edited:
Back