OT: Texas travel advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cirdan

Engineer
I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic.

It looks likely that I will be viisting Houston later this year for a business convention.

I have relatives in Dallas so while I'm the area, I would like to go and see them.

I had precisely the same some years ago and used Amtrak via San Antonio.

Then the time after that I felt really adventourous and looped all the way via Chicago.

(and my relatives thought I was totally crazy when I told them)

This time my time is more restricted so I'll probably be doing something more boring.

So I'm more or less split between the bus and flying.

Hence my question, is there anything in between those cities worth seeing scenery-wise that might make the bus an acceptable option?

Hence my question, is there anything in between those cities worth seeing scenery-wise that might make the bus an acceptable option?
I've driven the Texas triangle before. You won't be missing anything. If you had a car you could stop and do some exploring and maybe find some stuff interesting to you, maybe even take some twisty back roads for a thrill, but on a bus you wouldn't be able to see much of anything interesting from the highway. Take it from someone who knows, Texas is just about the most boring road trip state in the Southwest. Which is part of the reason we have flights between our major cities every half hour or so. Taking Amtrak is workable along 35 with daily operations in both directions, but the overnight SL <> TE connection in SAS is not very practical IMO.

Not much to see riding a Bus up I45 between Houston and Dallas! Unfortunately the Amtrak Thruway Bus only works from Houston to Longview to catch the Nortbound Texas Eagle to CHI! :rolleyes: Otherwise Hobby Airport (Bush Intl. is out in the boonies Halfway to Dallas! :eek: ) has Lots of Commuter Flights to Dallas Love Field (Downtown Airport-DFW is in New Mexico!! :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather take the bus instead of flying. It's cheaper, and even though you don't see much more that from a flight, the short-haul flight is troublesome before/after the actual flight.

So take the bus.

It is baffling to me that there is no rail connection between DFW and Houston. I remember when they used to split the TE in Dallas and go to Houston. The Houston train was somewhat like the Heartland Flyer. It was either one or two coaches and an older lounge car from what I remember.

Anyway, I have done the 'connection' from the SL to the TE and I had to insist when booking over the phone as I was told Amtrak doesn't sell tickets from the SL east of San Antonio to points north on the TE. This was several years ago but I don't think much has changed (except for the fact that I originated in JAX and you can't do that anymore on the SL). Depending on time, you could always take a red eye bus to San Antonio and go north to DFW from there. I believe the TE leaves San Antonio at 7am. Another option is to get to Austin and catch the train north at around 930am. Also check the suburban rent a car places (not the airports, they will gouge you) for deals. You may be able to rent a basic car for 20 something a day. That way you could drive to any station you want or just do the I-45 thing. It may be a little more expensive but it is better than the bus. Almost anything is better than the bus.

It is baffling to me that there is no rail connection between DFW and Houston. I remember when they used to split the TE in Dallas and go to Houston. The Houston train was somewhat like the Heartland Flyer. It was either one or two coaches and an older lounge car from what I remember.

Anyway, I have done the 'connection' from the SL to the TE and I had to insist when booking over the phone as I was told Amtrak doesn't sell tickets from the SL east of San Antonio to points north on the TE. This was several years ago but I don't think much has changed (except for the fact that I originated in JAX and you can't do that anymore on the SL). Depending on time, you could always take a red eye bus to San Antonio and go north to DFW from there. I believe the TE leaves San Antonio at 7am. Another option is to get to Austin and catch the train north at around 930am. Also check the suburban rent a car places (not the airports, they will gouge you) for deals. You may be able to rent a basic car for 20 something a day. That way you could drive to any station you want or just do the I-45 thing. It may be a little more expensive but it is better than the bus. Almost anything is better than the bus.
To take the Sunset Limited from Houston to San Antonio and then the Eagle to Dallas it's best to buy two tickets. Purchase one from Houston to Del Rio even though you are getting off in SAS. That way you can stay on the train and sleep until around 5am or so. The Sl doesn't leave SAS until 5:40. Then board the Eagle around 6:30 for it's 7am departure to Dallas. It's the long way around and it's only available three times a week. Greyhound, on the other hand is now offering express service to Dallas on a 4 hour schedule for only $25. Regular service is from 5 to 7 hours. SWA goes to Dallas hourly.

Anyway, I have done the 'connection' from the SL to the TE and I had to insist when booking over the phone as I was told Amtrak doesn't sell tickets from the SL east of San Antonio to points north on the TE.
Are you sure? I booked a trip from New Orleans to Dallas in 2009. I booked online and everything went fine.

If you opt for the bus choose a departure that says GLL (Greyhound) instead of AA (Autobuses Americanos). The latter has most of the departures and is a Mexican company. The seats are smaller, the buses are dirtier and smellier and more crowded and frequently late. They are the same price. This is the voice of experience.

If you opt for the bus choose a departure that says GLL (Greyhound) instead of AA (Autobuses Americanos). The latter has most of the departures and is a Mexican company. The seats are smaller, the buses are dirtier and smellier and more crowded and frequently late. They are the same price. This is the voice of experience.
I've always wondered about those buses. I'm honestly disappointed that Amtrak contracts with them, especially without seriously discounting that portion of the ride.

Anyway, I have done the 'connection' from the SL to the TE and I had to insist when booking over the phone as I was told Amtrak doesn't sell tickets from the SL east of San Antonio to points north on the TE.
Are you sure? I booked a trip from New Orleans to Dallas in 2009. I booked online and everything went fine.
Yes, this connection is legal. It may not have been in years past, but it is now. I've done this very same connection and just stayed on the train until about 5:00 AM. However, I was in a sleeper and the SCA was okay with me staying on. She told me, I was responsible for getting off on time though. :) I'm willing to bet you can just stay on the train even in coach. Just ask the attendant.

Houston to Dallas is one route where Greyhound has decent service, including the express buses. They only stop once, maybe twice for a meal break in Buffalo, and maybe a suburban Dallas station. It's piney woods until about Huntsville, or Madisonville, then just rolling hills with farms and ranches along the way. Just before you hit Huntsville, on the right is a huge white statue of Sam Houston. He's as tall as the pine trees. You really cannot miss it. If you're driving, it might be worth a stop. Also if driving, stop in Centerville at Woody's smokehouse. They have two locations on both sides of I-45. Every kind of jerky you can think of is made and sold here, and I always make it a point to stop there when I do the DAL-HOU shuffle.

(can you tell I've done the drive dozens of times?)

I am quite sure. They initially told me that I couldn't go from JAX to FTW at all. You just have to understand that calling any customer service line will differ greatly from rep to rep. We also need to be patient as we can't always expect the agents to know the routes as well as we do. I probably know my state's rail service better than many of the agents do. I just bought 2 tickets instead of trying to argue.

To take the Sunset Limited from Houston to San Antonio and then the Eagle to Dallas it's best to buy two tickets. Purchase one from Houston to Del Rio even though you are getting off in SAS. That way you can stay on the train and sleep until around 5am or so. The Sl doesn't leave SAS until 5:40. Then board the Eagle around 6:30 for it's 7am departure to Dallas. It's the long way around and it's only available three times a week. Greyhound, on the other hand is now offering express service to Dallas on a 4 hour schedule for only $25. Regular service is from 5 to 7 hours. SWA goes to Dallas hourly.
Stay on the train until 5am......genius. Where were you several years ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay on the train until 5am......genius. Where were you several years ago?
Tex, I assume you are being sarcastic. But I did not know about this little trick until I saw someone mention it on here. I used it when I attended the mini meet in DFW last January to visit the 40th anniversary train. When I tried to book a room on the SL from Houston to SAS it would always show none available. So I took the tip and tried Houston to Del Rio and suddenly there were rooms available. When I boarded the SL I tipped the car host and asked him to wake me around 5am as I was getting off in SAS. He was a real nice man and did exactly as I asked. There were plenty of empty rooms on the train by the way. I had purchased a coach ticket to Fort Worth, but when I saw the people waiting to board in SAS I bought a room. It didn't cost that much and I got free meals. It was an easy trip and everything worked and the trains were on time. I flew back from Dallas on SWA that Sunday. I had parked my car at Hobby airport and taken the super shuttle to Houston's Amtrak station. So my car was right there when I got back and I just drove home. It's not really practical for anyone but a rail fan, but it was fun and I got some more points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back