Out of my way for the CZ - worth it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2104

OBS Chief
I feel dumb asking this now, given that I'm not new to these forums by any means, but with the AGR changes coming I should probably use the points I've bought before they lose most of their value. This is my first western/sleeper trip, though not my first time on an LD train.

There were 2 ideas I'm considering, for Phoenix to NYP (2 zone roomette):

-Fly to Albuquerque, overnight, SW Chief to CHI, LSL to NYP.

-Fly to San Francisco, overnight or two, CZ to CHI, LSL to NYP with a Toledo shuffle to coach seats.

In your opinion, would the mountain scenery on the CZ be worth the extra flight time, the Toledo shuffle, and the day in coach on the LSL? Ignore the side-benefit of a visit to San Francisco. I was going to use Salt Lake City as a compromise if it wasn't for the poor calling times...

I don't see myself going on another multi-night LD trip anytime in the near future...though it's not like the mountains will disappear!

There's two other options:

*Sunset Ltd.-Texas Eagle #422 from Maricopa to El Paso( Coach Paid)/ 2 Zone Award ELP-CHI/#49 CHI-NYP

*SunsetLtd #2 MRC-ELP( Coach Paid/2_Zone Award on ELP-NOL( Overnite on your dime in NOL)/Crescent #20 NOL-NYP

*_Sunset runs,3 days a week

You could Also do the Cardinal #50 ( 3 days a week)from CHI-NYP after MRC-ELP( Coach Paid) /ElP-CHI in #422 IF AGR will allow the Connection?

Otherwise the Zephyr is the way to roll for sure if you don't mind the TOL Shuffle to Coach to NYP!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's two other options:

*Sunset Ltd.-Texas Eagle #422 from Maricopa to El Paso( Coach Paid)/ 2 Zone Award ELP-CHI/#49 CHI-NYP

*SunsetLtd #2 MRC-ELP( Coach Paid/2_Zone Award on ELP-NOL( Overnite on your dime in NOL)/Crescent #20 NOL-NYP

*_Sunset runs,3 days a week

You could Also do the Cardinal #50 ( 3 days a week)from CHI-NYP after MRC-ELP( Coach Paid) /ElP-CHI in #422 IF AGR will allow the Connection?

Otherwise the Zephyr is the way to roll for sure if you don't mind the TOL Shuffle to Coach to NYP!
The Sunset is out of the question, because of getting to MRC and the layover at SAS.

Didn't even consider the Cardinal out of CHI, but looks like Amtrak only gives it as a connection if you force it with a Cardinal-only station...maybe it's possible if I do a CIN shuffle.

Train 2014: you could also ride the dog to Tucson and connect with #422/#2 to ELP. The #422 Thru Sleeper and Coach are switched in SAS and you don't even have to get off the Train and The Dwell time is only about 2 Hours!

As for the connection to the Card, you're correct, its a crap shoot, but I've done it maybe 5 times, guess I had good Train Karma built up?

Go with the Zephyr from Emeryville to CHI,it's the only way to roll! After Raton Pass the Chief is just another Train ride on Rough Tracks to CHI!

The California Zephyr is your best choice in terms of the most varied scenery and the longest run of near non-stop great scenery. Everything from Denver west is interesting.

Crunch numbers with airfare and whatnot BUT if you're looking at a two-zone redemption, I would see what kind of bargain airfares might exist for a roundtrip flight to Denver and a roundtrip ride on the CZ from Denver to Emeryville and back to Denver.

I would also suggest working a day in Sacramento into your plans. The California Railroad Museum is a five minute walk from the Amtrak Station and the Vagabond Inn (where the Amtrak crews layover) is a decent hotel right across the street from the train station.

Yes here too!

We flew from Europe to do the westbound CZ among others. Was the CZ worth it? worth every penny.

It's maybe the only train ride in the world that gives this variation of spectacular scenery over so many miles? We travelled in late February and the winter view from CHI onwards until the divide in mid Rockies was like a dream, it shocked most of the passengers we met how the cut off from snow and more snow changed to none at all in just a few miles, fabulous journey beyond the divide too. We also really enjoyed the bus ride from Emeryville over the bridge into for our first ever view of SF sited on the Bay.

As you have the opportunity then take it!

CZ is worth it!! One Fall I hit the foliage at its peak, the Aspens were beautiful, which just added to the already beauty of the mountains and the rocky river rapids. Also, you might be able to find a cancelation and pay the up fee for the balance of the trip. The beauty of the CZ is west coast to Denver. I find Iowa nice but boring.

In terms of timeline, this will be in mid-May, so no snow or foliage.

I guess my initial hunch that the Zephyr was worth the opportunity cost of the Chief and the RailRunner was right.

Thanks!

Another possibility: Fly to Portland or Seattle instead of San Francisco, and take the Coast Starlight south to connect with the CZ. Under the soon-to-be-changed AGR system, it's the same points cost Seattle-Sacramento-Chicago-Toledo as San Francisco-Chicago-Toledo.

Sacramento is where AGR will want to book your CS-CZ transfer, although I've previously talked them into allowing me to transfer at Davis....

If you have never done CZ, the choice is simple. You gotta do the Zephyr

If you take the CZ in May, the high peaks in Colorado will all be snow-covered. And still quite likely to see snow banks at track level around the Moffat Tunnel and Winter Park. Also likely to see snow on mountains in Utah, trackside in California's Sierra Nevada, and even on the mountain peaks in Nevada.

Here's a photo of the westbound California Zephyr which I took from my roomette in the last sleeper in February 2013.

561202_10200567770452975_474864037_n.jpg

We did the CZ this spring from Emeryville to Chi and loved it! Absolutely gorgeous!

So glad we did it before the change in AGR points.

CZ heading East or West, what's your choice.
Enter "CZ Zephyr Direction" in this sites search tool for gobs of facts and opinions.
I can save the suspense by saying that the vast majority favor westbound because of the certainty of daylight out of Denver. My second favorite of all Amtrak views is descending eastbound into Denver in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back