Overnight trip with husband & 2 year old

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eeca11

I'm new to train travel so I have no idea what to expect. We booked the standard bedroom for the three of us. Any suggestions or comments to make the long ride easier and stress free?

We could probably help you out far more if you can tell us what train you are riding on. There are two different types of standard bedrooms depending on which train your on. If you don't know the name of the train just tell us where you leaving from and going to, then we can better advise you.

Certainly you should pack a small backpack full of your child's favorite toys. The adults might like a book to read or perhaps a small travel game. I will also tell you that all of your meals are included in the dining car. If you go to the cafe car, then you will have to pay.

I believe that we will be on train 91 Silver star. We are leaving Philadelphia and going to Orlando.

Ok, that helps a lot. Now I can tell you that you will be in a Viewliner sleeper, the other choice was a Superliner sleeper.

You room will contain two seats, a toilet and a sink. There is a small cubbyhole that can hold one suitcase. Additionally you will have a small TV screen in your room which usually will show first run movies and recent comedy shows from TV. They also toss some cartoons on the tapes for good measure. You can clickhere to see a 180 degree shot of the Superliner style standard bedroom. While not completely identical, it will give you some idea of what to expect.

As I mentioned before, all of your meals are included as long as you take them in the dining car. Your sleeper tickets qualify you as a First Class passenger on Amtrak. As a first class passenger you are entitled to utilize Amtrak's first class lounge in Philly. These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, conference rooms, computer terminals, newspapers, TV's, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and clean safe bathrooms. They also allow you to board your train before the rest of the masses.

In Philly the lounge is again on the second floor, but the entrance is kind of hidden down a long hall in the corner of the station. Walk down towards gate 1 and you should see the hall leading to the stairs. Go up the stairs and ring the bell next to the door. Show them your tickets and relax.

I'm sure that others will chime in here with more on train travel, but this will get you started.

Have a great trip.

:)

The Silver Star is one of the better trains in the Amtrak system and is usually fairly full this time of year. The crew is usually in a good mood at the beginning of the trip, but it stays pretty constant in the sleepers, not so much anywhere else on the train. Be flexible if your train is late, and always remember that Amtrak will take care of you no matter what. Have a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back