Oversold

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjaynes288

Train Attendant
When I got on the 11 (southbound CS) at Salem on the 19th it was so overbooked they were sending people to the diner because the SSL was already full. The situation seemed to resolve itself in Eugene but some individual passengers seemed to be forgotten. They did not have coach seats and would not ask the conductor when he walked through. Several went from SLM-MTZ without a seat. This is the first overbooked train I have ever been on as I usually travel off season. Does this happen often? How with e-ticketing could the train be so oversold?

(1) Amtrak does overbook by a certain percentage on a lot of routes. I think it's 3-4%, but I'm not sure.
(2) Usually the "issue" resolves itself due to turnover and you only get overbooked passengers on a few high-traffic segments (PDX-EUG would be an example of one on the Starlight).
(3) With that said, some folks end up in the cafe for 15-20 minutes not because of an overbook but because of trouble finding them seats quickly. Basically, at some high-turnover stops (ABQ comes to mind on the Chief; Minneapolis on the Builder and Denver on the Zephyr come to mind as well), some passengers will get directed into the cafe for a bit while the conductor finds out where the empty seats actually /are/, since those can end up being scattered in ones and twos in odd places and/or wind up "hidden" behind a passenger with an aisle seat.

I ended up in a cafe ABQ-FLG once...the conductor could have found a seat for me, but I asked to remain since most of the ensuing time was taken up by dinner and I didn't want to move my bags again. It has also been known to happen on NE Regionals at travel peaks, though in cases like that where a corridor train is involved, it usually involves underestimating the number of multi-ride/monthly ticket riders who will be on that train.

I don't know if this is what happened in this case, but here's an example what could be the reason in a situation like this.

#27 (The EB) arrives into PDX way too late for the connection to the CS. So Amtrak pays for 50 people to stay in hotels in PDX. The following day, these people could either be put on the CS (hoping for dome no shows along the way) or Amtrak could spend more money for another 50 hotel rooms. I bet most of those assented would want to get home ASAP!

Think about an airline when they have cancelled flights. They say something like, "Our next available flight is next Tuesday, meanwhile you can sleep in the airport waiting area!" I for one would rather be on a moving train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially on a southbound CS, the misconnect with the Empire Builder occurs with greater frequency nowadays. I know they bus northbound K-Falls to Pasco but I'm not sure if they do so southbound. On corridor trains, the benefit of multi ride tickets is the ability to take any train, any time. The NEC tickets are cheaper than a ten ride if you buy them a week or two in advance, but then you lose the flexibility.

Salem to Martinez is Overnight and a Looooong Way to be riding without a Seat in a Coach! :help: Of course we Vets of Train Travel know to ask the Conductor about Seating but I wonder how many First Timers will say "Never Again!" after having to ride in the DINER??? (I've Never heard of this One!!! :blink: ) Hopefully these Folks knew to call Customer Relations and let them know about this, I could understand this on a Regional or on a Corridor on a Holiday but a LD Train like the Starlight???Unbelievable! :eek:

The 27 of 8-18 arrived PDX just before 1:00 pm, the 27 of 8-19 arrived just after 1:00. This should not have affected the overbook. I was on an 11 with a similar overbook several years ago.

All the more reason that, if it can be afforded, you should travel sleeper overnight if at all possible.

Still trying to wrap my head around an overbook lasting from Salem to Martinez.... Considering that means multiple operating crews were involved? They had to have been dealing with a bad-order car or something of the nature. I cannot think of any other reason so many people would be stranded from having a "reserved seat" waiting for them aboard the train. I'd be hell-bent on a refund of my money, that's for sure!

Last week I traveled the LSL and noticed that amtrak.com listed it as sold out between Buffalo and Erie. Everyone that got on in Buffalo had seats, though some were placed in the lounge to wait for seats. One highly irritable lady was ranting how she "paid for two seats," when she didn't realize that the two seats could be on opposite ends of the train. I felt sorry for her son.

In the end, everyone had seats. That's interesting that Amtrak sometimes overbooks. When you consider their refund policies, it does make sense that people might be more likely not to show up for their ride.

This overbooking happens everwhere. Same with airlines, same with Greyhound, Megabus, whatever. When you see something like 185 out of 187 seats filled on a plane, it's probably actually sold out but they want to sell two extra tickets. With the buses, even though technically Greyhound is supposed to have guarenteed seats (since November 2012) on all non-pool routes, they often just overbook a bit anyway. But the LD buses rarely get sold out, only the SD buses that are more popular.

I was sent to the sightseer lounge to wait for a seat assignment on the SW Chief. The bad attendant was completely overwhelmed by all the Boy Scouts getting on in K.C. along with me and the fact i boarded right at the end (knew I'd get assinged a seat anyway) It took her a good 1/2 hour for her to find a few of us traveling alone the couple of empty seats left. There was a mother and son going to one of the stops in Kansas and the conductor apologized that he couldn't find them seats together and said he would pass word onto customer relations and if they called they would get a credit for not having a seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back