P-40 Storage Program

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I heard something wild today. I was talking with one of my friends and he said more P-40's are being stored in Bear. Several are listed as in the "P-40 storage program." This comes after 800, 801, and 802 were stored in Bear. Anyone have any idea what's going on? ;)

Yes, there's a post on this over at trainorders. It seems only 8 will be rebuilt and used on the Auto Train. All other units will be put into storage. I know they never travel outside the NEC and most are used out of New Haven and Albany, plus for the Downeaster. Hopefully the 207 P-42 units will be able to handle everything!

battalion51 said:
I heard something wild today. I was talking with one of my friends and he said more P-40's are being stored in Bear. Several are listed as in the "P-40 storage program." This comes after 800, 801, and 802 were stored in Bear. Anyone have any idea what's going on? ;)
While it's hard to see into Bear from the NEC, there were a few P40's sitting on the approach tracks into Bear as I came by tonight on 2206 the 5:00 PM Acela Express to NYP from WAS. I have no idea why they were parked there, but it may tie in with what you heard.

There was no time to notice numbers though, sorry. :(

That's definitely the program right there (on trainorders). It's a shame to see those units go into storage. Most Engineers prefer running P-40's over P-42's as they load quicker, are more responsive, and don't have the fake air feature. I'll still see P-40's on a regular basis, the rest of the system however (besides the Sunset) is a different question.

They never travel outside of the NEC?

Gee, I wonder what are all these photos I have of #816, 823, 836, 839, and that was the year 2001 alone. Prior 2001, before 112-120 took over Starlight service, the 800s and 500s dominated Starlight power.

Last year they were slowly brought to the East and now they dominate diesel Northeast service and the Auto Train. It certainly is good news when 10 year old units have to go into storage. The F-40's lasted 25 years and the AEM-7's are hitting 20!

Just thought I'd clarify something that has been posted elsewhere on the internet. Sources have said that Auto Train's newly refurbiished P-40's will go into storage, this is not true. Amtrak has decided to keep the 8 P-40's that service Auto Train and the Sunset Ltd (from NOL-SFA) in service. The reasoning behind this is that the P-40 is an engine that is better suited to haul a monster train like Auto Train. Auto Train always has been exceptions to many of Amtrak's stupid poicies because it is an exclusive service, and bears very few similarities to a standard passenger train. So units 832-843 (except the 837) will remain in service based in SFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back