P32 Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakerBx

Train Attendant
I have seen P32's in push/pull mode lately along the Empire

corridor ....on a bunch of trains...I'm assuming for quick turn-arounds

at Penn. I'm wondering if they both can run in P/P mode on STRAIGHT

Third rail power too via the trainline connections...???

AmtrakerBX,

Assuming that I'm reading your question correctly, then yes I would think that the P32 AC-DM's can still run in P/P mode on third rail power. Since both engines would have third rail shoes, they can both pick up power off the third rail. The controls within the engines would opperate more or less the same as they would in diesel mode. After all remember that the diesel engine is really making electric power, which in turn runs an electric motor to move the train. So once you're on the third rail, all you've really done is to shut down the diesel engine. All the rest of the P32 electric motors will still function as before.

Now if you wre asking does the first engine supply power to the second trailing engine via the trainline connections, then I think that the answer would be no to that question. Even if it was possible to push that much power through the cables, there is no reason to do so since both engines can pick up power through the third rail shoes.

Hope that helps. :)

As far as a push-pull operation, the question is " can you put a MU cable between each car and the engines?".

We discussed this a few weeks ago and I said " yes, it's possible." But when I looked at various types of cars in the yard, I noticed that the MU connectors had been removed and a plate installed to cover the hole. Most of the Heritage cars(diners,baggage, crew, mail) have the connectors in place, while all the AMF II cars have been modified.

Alan is correct about each engine picking up power from the shoe. All the MU cable does is relay information to various power controllers. In actuality, all controllers and contactors are reversed and the engine is running in reverse. If the engineer was to throw the handle to reverse on the lead, the trailing engine's controllers will rotate into the forward mode.

B)

First off if the P-32 locomotives are in push pull mode then are ex-Metroliner cab cars being used? Secondly, some Amfleet I cars are modifeied to operate in push pull mode so I'm guessing they have the MU connections.

Amfleet said:
First off if the P-32 locomotives are in push pull mode then are ex-Metroliner cab cars being used? Secondly, some Amfleet I cars are modifeied to operate in push pull mode so I'm guessing they have the MU connections.
In this particular case that we are talking about on the Empire Corridor, no Metroliner cabs are being used at all, they are putting a P32 on point and a P32 trailing the consist. Therefore no cab cars are required.

As for your second question, I'm not really sure but I would assume if the cars are still setup for push/pull operations then yes the MU connections would have to still be in place.

The MU cables will determine if you are using both engines for traction. No MU cables means the crew is dragging the trailing unit in idle.

B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back