P42 and Timken Co. Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
Last week I saw that the bar above the wheels on the P42's has a Timken mark on it. Timken's main steel foundry and drop forge facility is right by my house, I was wondering what that part was and what else (if anything) Timken makes for the P42 and/or the rest of the Amtrak fleet.

That's a given but their stamp wasn't on the bearing it was on the crossbar (?) above the wheels.
Possibly it was the Shock Absorber. Just guessing, since that would look like a bar and Timken does manufacture Shock Absorbers. It cannot be the truck frame, since P42s use Mak-Krupp bolsterless trucks.

That's a given but their stamp wasn't on the bearing it was on the crossbar (?) above the wheels.
Possibly it was the Shock Absorber. Just guessing, since that would look like a bar and Timken does manufacture Shock Absorbers. It cannot be the truck frame, since P42s use Mak-Krupp bolsterless trucks.
Did they do it for all of the P42s? Are they also on Amtrak's other stock, power or coaches?

Looks surprisingly like a truck frame component to me...?

Anyone know if Amtrak might have been custom-casting trucks recently as a stop-gap for the cracks noted earlier last year? Probably not, but anything is possible I suppose. After all, Amtrak only has so many P-40's to cannibalize, and those numbers are smaller than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back