Pacific Parlor Car Back???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Rancher

Train Attendant
I’m sitting here at the Vets office on the Nipomo Mesa about 20 miles south of San Luis Obispo. I just saw what I think was the Coast Starlight cruise by that had a blue rail car on the back end. The only thing I could think of was that it looked like the old Pacific Parlor Car. Are these back or was that just somebody’s private rail car?

I couldn’t see the train very well through the eucalyptus trees but the timing is right for it to be the CS 3:15 PM arrival in San Luis Obispo to continue on north.

A Blue Car really narrows down which private cars.

Tioga Pass is still based in LAX
Yerbra Buena is blue and was just on the Coast Starlight going northbound a few days ago.
Oliver Hazard Perry is in MSP now.
There is a Pacific Series car masquerading as a Wabash Car as well. But those are the only blue ones I can think of out of my memory.

They still exist so I guess Amtrak could try to buy some of them back but that seems incredibly unlikely and unwanted by the HO. The days of special cars are basically over and the days of observation cars seem to be coming to an end.
I read somewhere that someone was trying to make private varnish out of one or two of them already.

I read somewhere that someone was trying to make private varnish out of one or two of them already.

1 is owned and operating on the Wisconsin Great Northern.

2 are owned and operating by Steam Institute on Michigan

2 are owned by Dallas Terminal Railroad

Back