Pacific Surfliner BC will not have complimentary access to Metropolitan Lounge as of 7/15/22

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my trip back east on train 2 last Friday I got the joy of having the same woman who wanted me to pay $25 on my arrival from train 1. There were no issues because I was leaving on a sleeper, but she did say she was retiring in one month after 41 years.

One would think after 41 years, she would know what the policy is.

It was probably the same woman. When I showed her my arrival Sunset Limited sleeper ticket she said this was not valid since I was arriving and not departing and I would have to pay $25 for a day pass since I was connecting to the Pacific Surfliner. Totally not familiar of the policy. Basically, unless you were holding a sleeper ticket leaving on the Coast Starlight she didn’t want you in there. Others had the same problem as well while we were in there. Hopefully the employees will receive better training on the policy.
Noting this appeared to happen to us today at the Chicago lounge. We have same day arrival and departure on sleeper. Wife showed them our arrival ticket, told us no, I need to see the departure ticket. Wife scrolled phone screen, same reply, wife scrolled more and oh ok I see a departure. If it happens again, I have the Amtrak webpage ready where it clearly states:

• Amtrak passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) in First Class or sleeping car accommodations.”
https://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges

It needs expanding and upgrading, something more in line with Boston or Portland. It handles three (technically four) LD trains. Hopefully if they upgrade it PS BC pax will be allowed back in
Several years ago the lounge attendant showed me plans for a significantly enlarged lounge, all still on that upper level. Wonder what happened to that?

Noting this appeared to happen to us today at the Chicago lounge. We have same day arrival and departure on sleeper. Wife showed them our arrival ticket, told us no, I need to see the departure ticket. Wife scrolled phone screen, same reply, wife scrolled more and oh ok I see a departure. If it happens again, I have the Amtrak webpage ready where it clearly states:

• Amtrak passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) in First Class or sleeping car accommodations.”
More Dragon stuff from Chicago's Finest!🤬

When we travel east to visit family in Ohio, we arrive in Chicago via a SWC sleeping car and make a same day transfer to a CL coach. (The fact that we can wait in the Metropolitan Lounge for the CL to start boarding rather than in the South Waiting Room has been the single most appreciated perk of arriving via sleeper.)

(We also have a Select Plus Lounge Access card for what it’s worth.)

If we understand you correctly, the Dragon Lady now requires you to depart on a same day sleeper in order to gain access to the Lounge. If this is now the policy of Amtrak in order to sell more $25 day passes, it is indeed troubling. If this is just the Dragon Lady’s policy in order to sell more $25 day passes, she needs to be reported to Amtrak.

Last edited:
When we travel east to visit family in Ohio, we arrive in Chicago via a SWC sleeping car and make a same day transfer to a CL coach. (The fact that we can wait in the Metropolitan Lounge for the CL to start boarding rather than in the South Waiting Room has been the single most appreciated perk of arriving via sleeper.)

(We also have a Select Plus Lounge Access card for what it’s worth.)

If we understand you correctly, the Dragon Lady now requires you to depart on a same day sleeper in order to gain access to the Lounge. If this is now the policy of Amtrak in order to sell more $25 day passes, it is indeed troubling. If this is just the Dragon Lady’s policy in order to sell more $25 day passes, she needs to be reported to Amtrak.
It appeared to me that it was at least only one employees policy. I intend to follow the Amtrak policy published on their website until someone shows me a new published policy clients can see. Moynihan let us in with only a same day arrival.

That same employee broke away from checking us in to yell at a lady trying to get into the restroom. They must have thought the lady didn’t belong in the lounge and didn’t pay attention that she had just walked out of the lounge area to use the restrooms. (The restrooms in Chicago are outside of the main room, to the side of the entrance desk).

Later a much friendlier employee was in running the desk area.

After the restroom scene, when I wanted to use the restroom I went upstairs multiple times to avoid causing trouble to use the 2nd floor restroom but it was locked the whole time.

Back