Palmetto 89 Incident in Chester, Pa. (4/3/16)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak tweeted that all NEC service is suspended and SEPTA has also suspended Wilmington/Newark service.

Anyone know if this has anything to do with the switch problems? Was the backhoe working on a switch?

Amtrak suspension now just NYC<->Philly, per Amtrak's Twitter feed.

Amtrak suspension now just NYC<->Philly, per Amtrak's Twitter feed.
I am sure that the suspension is in addition to a suspension between Philadelphia and Wilmington, since the incident is in Chester PA, which is between Philly and Wilmington.

Anyway, why would an incident in Chester PA suspend service between New York and Philadelphia begs the question, no? Unless there has been a systemic failure of safety system of some sort, which seems far fetched.

Last edited by a moderator:
20160457011af96f7d8.jpg

Eek, I can't tell if that's a person's legs sticking out of the window or something else that really shouldn't be there... anyone know?

A quick look at NJ Transit's Departure Vision for Trenton suggests that all NJT Service is running normally (which means a little late :) ), and at least one Keystone headed for Harrisburg is running 10 mins late through Trenton. Of course all NEC spine service is displayed as "Delayed", including train #98 Silver Meteor.

So the thing about suspension of all service between Philly and New York may be inaccurate.

Looks as if part of the backhoe equipment struck and possibly penetrated the side of the Amfleet coach car. Could be emergency equipment in the window or a broken off part of the backhoe.

Jeez, what is going on with these collisions? These are happening even on the sealed corridor parts of the NEC.

Edit: the photo shows the train upright, so this is a minor derailment rather than the equipment lying on the ground or scattered,

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found out about this and I have a ticket on 158 tonight. Trying to decide if it's worth buying a bus ticket...

Back