Palmetto, Savannah - Fayetteville - Savannah Feb. 13, 2013

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolyn Jane

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I was need of a junket, and this seems to be the easiest trip, as I live near Savannah. I did this trip back in October, too.

Had to be in Savannah Tuesday evening, so I stayed in a hotel to avoid the early morning 40 mile drive. We had been having heavy rain, and when I left in the morning, we were under tornado watch until 9am. Bad weather was also predicted up the track in Charleston.

Got to the station, and was interested/pleased to see the Silver Meteor 97 on the far track, running a bit late...Palmetto 90 was sitting in her usual overnight parking slot. We boarded, and the attendant asked each person for their destination, and directed us to her preferred coach. Unfortunately, the one she directed me to was an Amfleet I. I was not amused. I suppose they try to put the shorter trip people in the Amfleet i's, but it hurts. Plus, there were signs all over the car limiting where she wanted us to sit. The first several rows, actually those in the rear of the car, had signs above Reserved for Group. Then there were signs Reserved for three or more, and Reserved for two. Plus the two rows in front for Disabled travelers. That left all the seats with the less desirable windows for the solos. And most of us were solo.

I took a seat by a better window, even though it was marked for three or more. When she came around asking destination, she asked if I had three with me, and I said no, but all the best window seats were 'blocked'. She said 'There's a reason for that'. I didn't think I dared ask what that reason was, but she didn't make me move. But she did get my distination wrong, because before Charleston, she came around telling people their station was next, and I said 'No'. she asked where I was going, and I said Fayetteville.

I didn't take Nellie with me this time...I couldn't find her power cord, so I couldn't track our speed. But I did have a grand time with the Elevation app on my iPad mini, watching our little blue dot track us on Google Earth. I also enjoy watching the passing scene, and it is best in winter, as you can see more beyond the tracks when there are fewer leaves on the trees. So many stately old houses in varying degrees of despair. Somewhere I think between Yemassee and Charleston we zoomed past an old passenger rail car rusting away on someone's property. Too fast for a picture, even if I had realized it was coming...I visited the restroom before Charleston, and I must say it was clean, but definitely had a poopy smell, for being at the beginning of the run...

Before charleston, the attendant went around writing things on the pink tickets she was using for destination. Seat numbers. When people started getting on in Charleston, they were holding pieces of those pink tickets, and looking for particular numbers. Most didn't even know where to find the seat numbers. They had been assigned to empty seats. She was making sure all those solo travelers got partners. Is this a standard practice on Amtrak?

My partner was a tall woman on her way to Fayetteville, Ft. Bragg. Army officer. She had a huge rolling duffle that she parked in the double seat across the aisle, along with a bulging backpack. She had another backpack and tote and purse, plus a pluch Pooh blanket that she tried to carry on her lap and at her feet. When the conductor came through, he put the backpack up top, and moved the duffle to the luggage area in the front of the Amfleet II behind us. With all of her paraphenalia, there was really no place for her feet in our Amfleet I seats, so the right one strayed into my foot area, and I was constrained in movement. For four hours. But she was a nice lady.

A man got on in Dillon, walking forward in the car, wearing pants BELTED below his undershorts. I guess if you have beefy thighs, they will stay up...But I think it must make climbing the steps into the train difficult...He didn't have a ticket, and I didn't hear where he was hoping to go. The conductor took him somewhere to discuss it, and I think he was let off at the next station, Fayetteville.

The weather continued rainy at times, and I had no plans for Fayetteville except to get a sandwich at the Subway in the south end of the station building. Which I did, and stayed in my corner reading and cxrocheting until time to move into the station. I was checking train status with the Amtrak app on my iPad, so I knew it was a few minutes late.

This time, they didn't care which car you went into, as from there on more people would be leaving than boarding. I made sure I got an Amfleet II car, window again. Second seat from the front of the car. In the front seat was a fellow sprawled out sleeping, moaning and grunting at times. He got out to smoke at Florence. Across the aisle in facing seats were two women, with a girl around 8, a toddler, and an infant. I think the infant must have been 3-4 month, the toddler around 15 months. Twice, the second woman went to the cafe car for a cup of water to mix formula. I don't know why they didn't use the spigot in the car...I'm sure the water for both comes from the same place. But I couldn't believe when the toddler started getting gretzy, she let him drink directly from a bottle of Pepsi, until they unearthed a bottle of juice.

I had pulled out my crochet stuff, and was working on it, finding that the trackage was definitely rougher than that of the Pennsylvanian, but still mostly acceptable. A few times I had to pause because it was so rough I couldn't put my hook where I wanted...The ladies with the kids got off at Kingstree, all bundled in winter coats and scarves...I did point out to them that it was 60 degrees there, and I didn't think the baby really needed the mittens...After they left, the fellow from the seat in front moved over so that he could see out, although it was getting dark. He noticed me crocheting and wanted to know what I was making, so I showed and explained. He said he also crochets, mostly hats although he had done clothes. Sold them to make ends meet. I suspect he might have been close to being homeless. He got off at Yemassee.

We were early to Charleston, but got held up a mile out of the station by a freight in emergency. Please explain that to me...Two freights passed us while we waited. This made us on time into Charleston....But I wanted that time, because I was watching 98 on the status app, and she was late, and we should have been meeting in Savannah. As it turned out, we made Savannah first, but I think they held 98 for us, because we came in on the outer track, and if 98 had come in on the near track, people would not have been able to get to the terminal. Savannah has subway stairs, but they have always been chained off when I have been there. Perhaps they are not safe, or too cumbersome for people with carryon luggage. 98 came in after everyone was off and in the terminal, and luggage collected from the baggage car.

All in all, it was a good trip, if different from my previous foray. And I'll do it again...But I do intend to make a run south when I can figure it out. CJ

Always an adventure huh? I must say, the lady who put the warm clothing on her baby even though it was warm out, I was so happy to hear that. Babies under a year old can't regulate their body temperatures and can't speak up to say they are cold. We were told the rule was adult clothing plus one layer. I used to work somewhere...where... let's just say, I would seethe watching people take their baby outside with only a shirt and a diaper... in the snow... in Michigan. Granted they were only walking about 30 ft in the cold. BUT STILL. I wanted to yell, "SO, WOULD YOU WALK OUTSIDE WITHOUT PANTS OR SOCKS? NO???? BUT THAT'S OK FOR YOUR BABY!?" The Pepsi, I'm not as thrilled about :angry2: anyway, thanks for your report, I intend to investigate the South by train some day.

Great report!

I always wondered why someone would pay for business class on either the Palmetto or the Pennsylvanian when they can stay in coach and get a Amfleet II LD coach with the leg rests. Does Amtrak specifically utilize the Amfleet I coach for passengers only travelling short distances? I can't imagine how you were able to keep a steady hand while you crochet on the train.

BOS-T-Time

We were early to Charleston, but got held up a mile out of the station by a freight in emergency. Please explain that to me...
That means that the train's brakes were applied in an uncontrolled fashion. Normally the engineer slows the train gradually by applying a small amount of brake power to slow the train gradually.

Being in emergency means that something interrupted the flow of air to the brakes that runs from car to car and the brakes clamped down with maximum force to stop the train as fast as possible. The most common reasons for this event include, the engineer seeing something or someone on the track ahead and hitting the emergency button or an airhose breaking apart for some reason. However more serious events could include a derailment or hitting something.

Being local to the Savannah Station, too, I believe that they DO open up the subway ramp when two trains are in the station at the same time. However, that being said, I think the standard practice is what you experienced - every train comes in on the outside track and they'll hold one train until the other clears if there is a meet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back