Passenger mistaking someone else's room for theirs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certain SCAs go above and beyond by putting signs with passenger names on each roomette before boarding!
The SCA on my last trip in 2019, on the LSL, did that. Lovely little multi-colored post-it notes that said "Welcome aboard, [Name]!" with a smiley face and indicated the station where each passenger was disembarking. I'm sure it was as much for her recollection of our names and destinations as it was for us to find our rooms without confusion, but it was a nice touch that everyone appreciated either way.

I remember getting on #22 one time in Austin to head for Chicago and was booked in Bedroom A, since it was cheaper than the High Bucket Roomettes.

When I got upstairs, the door was Closed but not locked and I entered and there was someone's stuff allover the room and I heard the Shower running.

I backed out, went downstairs and talked with the SCA Reggie( a Good Friend and an Excellent OBS) who said he'd check with the Conductor, that the guy in the Room had upgraded with the Conductor from Coach after boarding in San Antonio.
( this was in the Paper ticket days when most SCAs collected your ticket for the Conductor) .

Since the Famy room was open, he had me put my stuff in there and asked if I wanted Brsakfast since Austin is Last Call for Sleeping Car Passengers.

I went to the Diner, had my usual Continential Breakfast, and after the Taylor stop Reggie came to the Diner and told me the Conductor had done the Upgrade since the Room was showing as "Available" thru Amtrak.com

My ticket was Valid in the #22 Sleeper since this was a non #422 Day and there was just One Revenue Sleeper in the consist.

He told me that the Conductor told him to put me in Bedroom E ( my Personal Favorite) since it was unoccupied as far as St Louis and something could be worked out then.

I happily took my stuff from the Family Bedroom to the E Room, and it ended up that I got to stay in E all the way to Chicago since the Person booked from STL to CHI Cancelled.

Once I was in Chicago, I called Custimer Relations and they told me that somehow the Computer had Cancelled my A Room Reservation and assigned me to the Family Room Bedroom without my receiving any noticed from Amtrak .

They offered a $200 Goodwill Voucher, but I declined since I actually came out better all things considered.

Only time in 50+ Years of riding Amtrak this has happened to me.( I have had my Room changed but always received advance notice)
But I would have taken the voucher as well... as the A room is a complete bedroom with bath upstairs with a view while the bedroom has no facility. Oh well... I've learned to absolute need to be 'flex' ible when on Amtrak! :rolleyes: 😊 :oops::)

Certain SCAs go above and beyond by putting signs with passenger names on each roomette before boarding!
Leo (on the Silver Meteor), who is the best in my opinion, has been doing that for years (together with starting and ending station).

Lovely little multi-colored post-it notes that said "Welcome aboard, [Name]!" with a smiley face and indicated the station where each passenger was disembarking.
Leo (on the Silver Meteor), who is the best in my opinion, has been doing that for years (together with starting and ending station).
That is a feature I would prefer to avoid. I remember when some airlines started adding passenger names to seat back welcome screens it felt out of place there as well. From kindergarten until retirement we're routinely labeled with stickers, tags, badges, and signs. When I'm on vacation I prefer to be anonymous. 😎

That is a feature I would prefer to avoid. I remember when some airlines started adding passenger names to seat back welcome screens it felt out of place there as well. From kindergarten until retirement we're routinely labeled with stickers, tags, badges, and signs. When I'm on vacation I prefer to be anonymous. 😎

I was thinking that as well. I wouldn’t want fellow passengers to be able to find out my full name so easily.

I agree. I remember one time on the Coast Starlight the SCA posted the manifest complete with all passenger names and room numbers for the entire length of the trip from Los Angeles and Seattle in our car. I really didn't care for that.

So, just like the toilet in the roomette ... one solution does not work for all.

Maybe putting reservation numbers on the doors would work to identify passenger rooms without identifying the passengers to others

As a solo male passenger I have had some very awkward encounters as well.
I had two on one trip from the same incident in the lounge car on 22 several years ago. None were the fault of the crew.

I traveled from lax to Chicago in that 422 sleeper. At some point I answered a few questions from a female pax in that car. She figured out quickly that I was knowledgeable about trains. Then she asked me why the sca didn’t know as much. I explained he knew more than I did but making educated guesses and predictions to passengers rarely worked in the employees favor if they were wrong. So they give out as little info as possible.
In the lounge car she had been drinking with another female. When I walked in to wait for my dinner reservations the lady from my car told the other I was also in the sleeper. Her drunk friend leaned over with her blouse opened and started asking questions about sleepers. Clearly angling for a visit. I played dumb. That was the first situation.

A few minutes later they were discussing smoke breaks. Knowing that delays caused by track work between Dallas and Longview would delay their break I advised them to be prepared. They thanked me.

That night as we were pulling into Texarkana I heard the drunk lady in my car telling the SCA that Steve was smarter than him. He was an excellent sca and I was mortified. The next morning I apologized profusely. He was an excellent attendant.

Back