Passenger train derailment in the Bronx

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that is innuendo. George, I work on airplanes and am very familiar with NDI. When you deal with aluminum cans that can burst at 30000 feet (ala Hawaiian Airlines), prevention through inspection becomes extremely important.

And our product sees temperature variation extremes every single time they fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you or a family member are killed or injured because "xx" bought an "off the shelf" rail car and saved some money, I'm certain you will be glad that they saved 10% and did not go with the higher strength car!
American buffer strength requirements mandate a rigid frame like a 1952 Nash. European and Japanese requirements mandate a crumple zone like a 2012 Mercedes. In a collision I have my own preferences as to which car I would rather be in.

Other countries have had problems with derailing and bringing a bridge down on the train (Germany and Australia) or derailing and slamming into an unyielding structure (Spain and Japan). We haven't had that yet, but we do have trains colliding with obstructions and telescoping or killing passengers who are thrown around inside the car by the sudden stop. These accidents are much safer in other countries who use crumple zones in the ends of the cars, and seem to be just as safe as ours when they derail into an open field.

We're starting to graft the ends of the Mercedes on our Nashes. Crash testing has shown that the "weaker" car is much safer for the passengers.

These accidents are much safer in other countries who use crumple zones in the ends of the cars... Crash testing has shown that the "weaker" car is much safer for the passengers.
SoCal's new Metrolink coaches and cab cars employ Crash Energy Management - essentially crumple zones - and I believe are the first rolling stock in the U.S.A. to do so.

018-L.jpg
Metrolink's old-style cab car at left; Hyundai-Rotem Crash Energy Management cab car at right. (WhoozPhoto)​

"Federal Railroad Administration Launches Operation Deep Dive: Inspectors to conduct 60-day comprehensive safety assessment of Metro-North"

http://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L04883

"On Monday, December 16, U.S. Department of Transportation technical and human factors experts will begin a comprehensive review and assessment of safety-critical procedures and processes at Metro-North. The rail safety team will look at:

• Track, signal and rolling stock maintenance, inspection and repair practices;
  • Protection for employees working on rail infrastructure, locomotives and rail cars;
  • Communication between mechanical and transportation departments at maintenance facilities;
  • Operation control center procedures and rail traffic controller training;
  • Compliance with federal Hours of Service regulations, including fatigue management programs;
  • Evaluating results of operational data to measure efficiency of employees’ execution and comprehension of all applicable federal regulations;
  • Locomotive engineer oversight;
  • Engineer and conductor certification; and
  • Operating crew medical requirements."

Now that is innuendo. George, I work on airplanes and am very familiar with NDI. When you deal with aluminum cans that can burst at 30000 feet (ala Hawaiian Airlines), prevention through inspection becomes extremely important.

And our product sees temperature variation extremes every single time they fly.
Aloha

Having lived on Oahu at the time. And Having a number of friends that were employed by Aloha. And worked on the TV movie Miracle Landing about the accident, I would not use the term "burst". A leading edge of a roof section rivets failed, causing a 20 foot section of roof to be ripped off in the wind. Remember that the plane landed safely, with the only loss of life, a stewardess that was standing in the isle where the roof failed.

Metal fatigue is a fact of life and exist in all metals, we must deal with the reality that all things can fail.

Report Finds Punctuality Trumps Safety at Metro-North

The Metro-North Railroad has fallen prey to a “deficient safety culture” that prizes on-time performance at the expense of protecting riders and workers, according to a blistering federal review that was ordered after a spate of rail disasters.

The review, from the Federal Railroad Administration, found that the commuter railroad’s operations control center pressured workers “to rush when responding to signal failures,” and that workers struggled to secure the track time needed to perform essential repairs.

Even policies as pedestrian as the use of cellphones have created dangers: Amid confusion about the rules, cellphone use is “commonplace and accepted” among track workers on the job.

The inquiry, known as Operation Deep Dive, was prompted by the fatal derailment on Dec. 1 of a Hudson line train in the Bronx; it killed four passengers and injured more than 70 others. But the scope of the analysis was far-reaching — no passenger railroad has ever been the subject of such an investigation of its safety culture — and its conclusions were withering for a system that was, less than a year ago, considered one of the nation’s most dependable.

Report Finds Punctuality Trumps Safety at Metro-North

The Metro-North Railroad has fallen prey to a “deficient safety culture” that prizes on-time performance at the expense of protecting riders and workers, according to a blistering federal review that was ordered after a spate of rail disasters.

The review, from the Federal Railroad Administration, found that the commuter railroad’s operations control center pressured workers “to rush when responding to signal failures,” and that workers struggled to secure the track time needed to perform essential repairs.

Even policies as pedestrian as the use of cellphones have created dangers: Amid confusion about the rules, cellphone use is “commonplace and accepted” among track workers on the job.

The inquiry, known as Operation Deep Dive, was prompted by the fatal derailment on Dec. 1 of a Hudson line train in the Bronx; it killed four passengers and injured more than 70 others. But the scope of the analysis was far-reaching — no passenger railroad has ever been the subject of such an investigation of its safety culture — and its conclusions were withering for a system that was, less than a year ago, considered one of the nation’s most dependable.
I cannot help but chuckle at the concept of MNRR making on-time performance its number 1 priority overall. I agree with the notion on-time performance is important, and I agree that it should not be the #1 overall top priority company-wide - safety should be. However, if this is true, then the action they are dedicating the most energy to, they consistently fail at. I find it kind of sad. If they make safety their #1 priority, are they going to have the same success?

I live directly beside one of the stations, and my wife commutes to work on the train. Usually, I time my work down to the minute when I need to leave my house to meet her train based on their schedule. Every day, including weekends. I would call it a surprise if the train is within 3 minutes of its schedule. I will even take weather conditions into account here. I discount icy weather and any windy/rainy day in the fall when leaves come into play. At least then I know they will be 5-10 minutes delayed (again, I totally understand that). I suppose my bitterness also comes from the fact the trains have been getting slower over the past year. If MNRR is going to add 10-20% of travel time to my line, then why is this still happening? You have 10 extra minutes of travel, and the end result is the same? Over the past year, what exactly are they doing with that extra 10-20% of time that doesn't involve safety?

Many additional lower speed limits have been added approaching a low speed zone and even some of those speed limits have been reduced. This has caused Amtrak to add 6 to 8 mins or so to the scheduled run from NHV to NYP. So it is no surprise that MNRR trains are seeing 10% to 20% additional time in their schedule.

For some reason I don't understand why the current MNRR chief thinks that this will be permanent forever. I do not understand why that should be so given that MNRR is installing ACSES II which is designed to address exactly the problem being addressed by this "large hammer" approach using all that they got, which is a 4 enforceable speed cab signal system and static speed limit boards that cannot be enforced.. I would have imagined that once ACSES II was fully deployed they should be able to raise the speed limits again. But I suppose MNRR does not expect to fix the basic management problems that they have had leading to this sorry state of affairs. Which begs the question, why is the new CEO getting paid the big bucks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for mentioning the NHV line side of things, I only have first hand experience with the Hudson and Harlem. What you state correlates exactly with those lines, and it makes sense. I am all for slowing down for safety. However, I would have expected the extra margin of safety would give a greater chance for on time performance and/or reliability. We get slower trains and get told that safety is/was not the top priority - really odd.

Don't try too hard to understand it because it might end up driving you crazy. I like to use this example - over this past winter, why would MNRR place a higher priority on repainting the platform overhangs/ceilings instead of actually clearing the same platform of snow & ice? It wasn't even look salted. I read a few posts of yours about the speed limit system they are using and I agree with your thoughts on it.

I'm looking into taking the Mass Casualty/Rescue drill MNRR has at their cronton-harmon yard. Its been a few years since I've taken it, but I am sure they have updated it in light of recent events. If they have any interesting tidbits I'll report back.

Don't try too hard to understand it because it might end up driving you crazy. I like to use this example - over this past winter, why would MNRR place a higher priority on repainting the platform overhangs/ceilings instead of actually clearing the same platform of snow & ice? It wasn't even look salted.
I don't know that this is the case; but it could well be that the painting was contracted out to an outside vendor, whereas salting would be in house crews.

An update. I suspect a jury WOULD find Metro-North at least partially responsible for the incident since they didn't install a cab signal drop because it would add "50 seconds to the schedule." However, the engineer is being counter sued.

Exclusive: Former Metro-North engineer William Rockefeller's $10M lawsuit going to trial
https://www.lohud.com/story/news/20...h-going-trial-william-rockefeller/3576462002/

A federal judge ruled Friday that former Metro-North engineer William Rockefeller can try to convince a jury the railroad is to blame for the 2013 derailment that killed four passengers when he fell asleep at the controls of a speeding train, but warned that might not be a good idea.

U.S. District Court Judge Vincent Briccetti said Rockefeller's attorney presented enough evidence for “a reasonable juror” to conclude Metro-North bore responsibility for the Dec. 1, 2013, derailment on a curve approaching the Spuyten Duyvil station in the Bronx.

Briccetti turned back Metro-North's attempt to have the case dismissed before trial and set Nov. 4 as the start date for a jury trial in Rockefeller’s $10 million lawsuit against his former employer.

But, in a stark assessment of Rockefeller’s prospects, Bricetti reminded Rockefeller’s attorney that Metro-North was countersuing for more than $10 million, the cost of the Hudson Line train that was destroyed.

“You run the risk of winning and then losing big time,” Briccetti told attorney Ira Maurer during the hearing in U.S. District Court in White Plains. “Does your client understand that?...What do you want to do? Do you want to roll the dice?”

I can't speak to his personal finances, but depending on his situation (in terms of assets and liabilities) and NY bankruptcy law, I could see this being a case where rolling the dice would make sense insofar as if he "loses big", he can just bankrupt out and leave MNRR up the infamous creek.

After reading the article IMO he got a deal. No disciplinary action from MNRR, collecting a decent disability claim from the MTA, and the RRB. But I think he has a good case against MNRR. But the counterclaim from the MNRR is one that Norfolk Southern is well known for doing. Personally if I were on the jury I would grant the now former engineer the $10 million. And deny the counterclaim. I would deny the counterclaim on the basis that MNRR could have prevented the incident. But I think the judge is spot on that they really should settle it outside of a jury.

I know this is older but I guess we all missed it. I know I did.

Metro-North engineer in fatal Bronx derailment drops $10M lawsuit
https://www.lohud.com/story/news/in...etro-north-spuyten-duyvil-lawsuit/2000179001/

The decision centered on concerns that if the case went to trial Rockefeller could be on the hook for $10 million. The figure was the estimated cost to replace the Hudson Line train that flew off the rails while going 82 mph along a curved section of track in Spuyten Duyvil on Dec. 1, 2013, explained Rockefeller’s lawyer, Ira Mauer.

Metro-North had countersued, claiming Rockefeller owed the railroad for destroying its train.

“I’d be exposing my client to a potentially significant counterclaim award that would be as devastating to him as the accident was to the families of those impacted by the derailment,” Maurer said.

Back