Passenger Train Journal 2021:2 with Eyewitness Accounts of Amtrak at its Creation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
This issue has couple of articles written by gentlement who were neck deep in the wheeling and dealing that went on leading to the creation of Amtrak and subsequent attempts to hobble it, and how finally Watergate diverted everyone's attention allowing Amtrak to sneak by and sort of thrive. One also gets to learn how Amtrak partly owes its very existence to NARP through Anthony Haswell, the founder of NARP.

On this business about "supposed sabotage" of Amtrak in general and LD business in particular, it is evident from the article that it dates back to the origins of Amtrak. I just chanced upon this fascinating article penned by Bill Anderson who was the first ever occupant of the Passenger Analyst position in the FRA Office of Policy and Program Development and was heavily involved in providing support for Amtrak route planning in the early days. His take on the whole business is very revealing and it is truly an insiders view of what transpired in the early days of Amtrak and what the marching orders from the Nixon administration were as perceived by the FRA management.

The article is titled "A Fan of the Railroads in the Administrative State" (by Bill Anderson) and it appears in the Passenger Train Journal Volume 2021-2 Issue 287. Unfortunately it does not appear to be available in a network accessible form AFAICT. Several key things that I had thought were possibly hearsay have in my mind now changed to facts supported by eyewitness. So if this makes you curious I suggest get onto WhiteRiverProductions.com website and get yourself a copy of this issue.

Incidentally it has another very revealing article titled "Amtrak Before and After its Creation" by Kevin McKinney who was part of the small team that constituted the Railpax Project at DOT/FRA working on the plan that finally became Amtrak. It provides further first person evidence of the undercurrents present. Fascinating stuff. Anyone interested in the history of Amtrak and in getting some hints of why things happen the way they do even now will find these very educational as did I.

Last edited:
My favorite magazine, so I already subscribe to it and enjoyed reading the articles about Amtrak’s creation.

It’s nice to finally be able to put all the patchwork of rumors and remembrances and hearsay into a comprehensive quilt of what actually happened written by people who were actually there.

In the editor’s letter, it says “This is the first of three issues of this year’s PTJs that center around Amtrak’s 50th anniversary.”

So more to look forward to in the next couple of issues it sounds like!😊

My favorite magazine, so I already subscribe to it and enjoyed reading the articles about Amtrak’s creation.........

My favorite too and the one magazine I read cover to cover. I would cancel my subscription to TRAINS before I'd cancel PTJ.

It was so nice to see it come back a few years ago after about a 10 year hiatus!

My favorite too and the one magazine I read cover to cover. I would cancel my subscription to TRAINS before I'd cancel PTJ.

It was so nice to see it come back a few years ago after about a 10 year hiatus!
I have been a subscriber whenever it has been available. As you said, it was gone for a while.

I think they are stretched a bit right now—one of their long-time steady writers retired, and another passed away. (The wife of the man who passed away also wrote articles for them, but I doubt that her heart would be in it now.)

So it looks like Mike (the editor) and Kevin (the founder, and editor first time around) are doing their own work plus additional work.

Except for a typo or two (which I never saw in there before), they seem to be doing a good job of keeping high standards with limited staff.

Back