Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you why I am how I am! :lol:
And there I was thinking you were just worn out from doing all that Chez Traveler upkeep.
Well, driving the Rolls the miles from the East Wing to the West Wing every morning does get tiring! :p I even had to put a 4 lane highway inside my house! :lol: (I was going to put a subway in, but my dog complained that all the digging would disturb all the bones he buried! :D )

In recent fall seasons Amtrak's sole remaining dome car has repeatedly been unceremoniously snatched away from its rightful home on the west coast, brutally carted across the continent, held hostage in the northeast, and forced to perform slave labor in service to the peculiar pastime known as "leaf peeping," in which large numbers of itinerant tourists indulge their prurient fascination with the "colorful" biological process that results in naked trees.
How do you dream this stuff up?? I couldn't stop laughing.

You failed to leave me evidence of your dome ride when I was onboard the next day. Only thing I found out of place was an empty bottle of Ice Tea. There were never more then 10 people for my run. Of course thanks to Amtraks equipment failure I had to take a bus back so..... the RailRiot wins again.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you dream this stuff up??
I don't. The way it works, see, is I put all the pics and videos on PowerPoint. Then I go rent a couple chimps from an outfit called "Going Ape" that supplies everything from baboons to mandrills for Hollywood movies. After a brief lecture on what they're about to see the monkeys are locked into a room with the PowerPoint presentation playing endlessly for several days. Upon release plastic bananas are used to trick the chimps into handing over their notes before return to the rental outfit, and the notes are then plagiarized for trip reports. Simple, no? Right now I've got the latest pair stashed away watching the RailRiot's New Orleans material. Don't tell PETA.

The way it works, see, is I put all the pics and videos on PowerPoint. Then I go rent a couple chimps from an outfit called "Going Ape" that supplies everything from baboons to mandrills for Hollywood movies. After a brief lecture on what they're about to see the monkeys are locked into a room with the PowerPoint presentation playing endlessly for several days. Upon release plastic bananas are used to trick the chimps into handing over their notes before return to the rental outfit, and the notes are then plagiarized for trip reports. Simple, no?
I registered with "Going Ape" - and they never called me to go on a job! :angry: I'm inclined to quit! :p

Unable lately to achieve the Zen-like trance state required for cobbling together further RailRiot wrap-up written rant, we take a break, and the cheesy way out for now, to appease the masses (both of you) with a sample from The Big Easy (which in reality is small and difficult). The photos and video are from the afternoon of the RailRiot's second day in New Orleans. We had split up and gone our separate ways. Oh wait, that sounds bad. What happened, see, was that the Executive Assistant needed to locate a bike shop for some wheelchair maintenance. Since it wasn't necessary that I tag along, I took off to ride the St. Charles Line. Afterward we met up for a dinner of JAMBALAYA!! in the French Quarter.

Photos:

RaiRiot Day Twenty-nine: New Orleans St. Charles Line

RailRiot Day Twenty-nine Alice Views

Video:

(Play LOUD for best results)
"Car 923, weary of being relentlessly pursued by the bloodthirsty car 972 bent on destruction, takes matters into its own rails when 972 comes way too close for comfort. Watch 923 evade its pursuer by passing up waiting passengers, making a sharp curve, and running for it. Listen for the growl of the motors and gears, the air compressor, and the motorman's operating style - common on the line - of accelerate and coast, accelerate and coast. Sweet!"

In a weird bit of belated recognition of the New Orleans Saints' victory in Superbowl 44, here are several St. Charles Line videos taken during the RailRiot. The team was still unbeaten at the time.

Yeah, I know we're not supposed to dredge up old stuff and post about it. But if you knock out the holiday season, and subtract the desert roaming of Razing Arizona, the Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 really only ended a couple weeks ago. If this logic escapes you, it's likely that your mind is already under the control of intergalactic aliens. Either that, or you've been hit by

Oddly enough, the steam video and the music video were made on the same date.

The RailRiot was averse to coughing up the cabbage to ride in a straight line at about 10 mph, so spent the afternoon pursuing an activity to which I'm also usually averse: chasing the train. More videos to be posted from grade crossings and such.

The visit to the Strasburg Rail Road began with a camera disaster. Following days of cold temperatures, the weather warmed on the day the RailRiot went to the railroad. Whatever the scientific explanation for internal condensation, the bottom line was that the lens of my Kodak DX6490 was fogged into uselessnes. Alice (Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 Executive Assistant) was good enough to offer her Sony camera, and the day was saved. Somewhat. Alice's camera suffers some kinda jitter. Still better than nothing, and by the end of the day the condensation in my camera had evaporated enough to get this clip.

Long as I'm riding out the spring forward time change...

Did I say we were chasing the train at the Strasburg Rail Road? My bad. When the train is chuffing along at about the same rate as the buggies driven by the Amish who populate the Strasburg area - scenic and friendly folks - there's really no chasing involved. You consult the timetable, look at the map, crank up the GPS, make an educated guess, head for a certain point, and wait for the train to come along. One certain point happened to be a grade crossing near a siding where an inbound/outbound meet occurred. A number of other people were there to watch the train, including a track maintenance worker who told us he brought his young son out every Sunday (11-8-09 was a Sunday) to watch the train pass.

The Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 arrived at New Orleans aboard the Crescent not really knowing what activities might fill the four full days in town before departure to L.A. And that was just fine. Happy anticipation of taking it easy in the Big Easy was soon blown to bits, however, by the hassle of getting a cab to the hotel. Had we done our homework and been aware of how close to the station the Quality Inn on O'Keefe really is, a fairly nasty scene - and ridiculous fare - coulda been avoided entirely.

Plenty of cabs out front; quantity wasn't the problem. The sticking point was hacks who refused to accept the Executive Assistant's wheelchair in the passenger compartments of 4-door sedans, adamantly insisting that it had to go in the trunk, piled on top of RailRiot bags, trunk lid open and tied with bungee cord. Nothing doing.

A little about the wheelchair in question: Given its specialized, ultralight (I can one-arm it up a flight of stairs, and I'm no Popeye) titanium alloy construction (frame, rims, etc.), and recent upgrades to lead wheel shock absorbers and mainwheel tires, the thing cost in the neighborhood of four grand. Quick-release detachable mainwheels allow it to be easily stowed in the back seat of even subcompact cars. Over the course of test runs and the RailRiot I got pretty good at dealing with wheelchair/car ingress and egress.

New Orleans cabbies would have none of it. Trunk or nothing, and one even wrestled the chair away from me and threw it on our bags (in the trunk before the issue arose) before I responded with some choice words and wrestled it right back. Then a running dog rent-a-cop jumped in on the cabbies' side, Alice (already seated inside) joined the fray by vehemently insisting there was no way her chair was going in any trunk, and it was pretty ugly overall.

We ended up waiting for a van cab for the 2-minute, fifteen dollar ride to the hotel. It was demonstrated that we were correct about the wheelchair fitting easily and painlessly in any back seat, and the sedan taxi beater hulks remained safe from the nonexistent hazard of a $4,000 wheelchair ripping apparently highly valuable upholstery and thereby reducing the heaps to scrap value.

Let me emphasize that of the dozen or so RailRiot cab rides in several cities, only the moronic New Orleans hacks and their uniformed lackey had any problem whatsoever with the Executive Assistant's wheelchair. Several had been dubious at first until I explained and did a demonstration of the breakdown, and some were downright impressed by something they'd never seen before.

Check-in at the hotel was a vastly different experience, and the positive change, coming directly from the train station hack hassle idiocy, was so abrupt as to be almost disorienting. In a good way. No accessible rooms had been shown when booking online. We asked anyway, and when it was found that all 5 were occupied we immediately received a no cost suite upgrade. Sweet! I may have met friendlier and more accommodating desk guys in my time, but sure can't recall when or where. Hardwired internet with loaned cable was another pleasant surprise. Even better, we found the wi-fi signal in the room was good enough for the Executive Assistant's midget machine, thus precluding cable timeshare issues.

You've likely seen the New Orleans Streetcar ride videos. See above if you haven't. The bottom line was that Alice was able to ride the St. Charles Line. She used her crutches to board, I manhandled the wheelchair, and all was well.

Moral of the story is that if you're disabled, and wanna ride the St. Charles Line in New Orleans, you wanna have me with you. HAHA!!

RailRiot And Destroyed Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back