Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual most enjoyable, be aware that you may be subject to a law suit from Rhode Island for inflicting pain and suffering on the traveler by posting a trip report and pics of PDX!!

Seeing the EB running along the Columbia River Gourge makes me want to ride this trip ASAP, which will be next month on my AGR trip on the CZ/CS/EB via CHI/OMA and points west! Look forward to the rest, Ive never seen the famous Horseshoe Curve either (the one in Altoona) so look forward to continuing episodes of the Rail Riot, and, yeah the various state booze rules can really be strange!! :lol:

The rotten Innkeeper of the year is a most prestigious award, last year it was won by a gentlemen (aka slumdog landlord!) in LA who advertised his botique flophouse on Orbitz and sucked lots of unsuspecting souls into staying in beautiful downtown LA, it was without a doubt the worst hotel Ive ever stayed in, has been removed from Orbitz and I even got a refund from them!!! (Even if it would have been free it would have been not worth it!!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual most enjoyable
Agreed! :)

be aware that you may be subject to a law suit from Rhode Island for inflicting pain and suffering on the traveler by posting a trip report and pics of PDX!!
You will be served in person this weekend! :angry:

Ive never seen the famous Horseshoe Curve either (the one in Altoona)
I only saw it once. From aboard the (Amtrak) Broadway Limited! :(

yeah the various state booze rules can really be strange!! :lol:
In RI, you can not even buy beer at a supermarket or convenience store. You need to go to a liquor store!

Horseshoe Highlights Special Edition

This Horseshoe Curve breaking news report is brought to you by BEER NUTS: Official Snack Food of the Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009.

The day didn't actually begin with Horseshoe Curve, but we did get there twice. The original plan was to catch the eastbound Pennsylvanian - the train that brought us to Altoona - on the curve, but with a 9:49 ALT arrival, and the viewing park not open 'til 10 a.m., that was out. Instead we ventured "upstream" to Carney Crossing for this:

Photos:

Horseshoe Highlights Special Edition (several shots of track maintenance activity and trains)

In a fine frame of mind after the New York Yankees were the recipients of a well-deserved thumping at the hands of the Philadelphia Phillies in the first game of the World Series, the RailRiot departs Altoona today aboard the Pennsylvanian to Philadelphia, where the connection to a Northeast Regional bound for Boston's South Station will be made.

USA Today noted yesterday that both the Phillies and Yankees will be taking the train between cities to continue play at Philadelphia, then back to New York should the Series last that long.

The Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 CEO and Executive Assistant look forward to renewing standing friendships and establishing new ones during the imminent Amtrak Unlimited 3rd Annual Gathering.

CHOWDAH!!

USA Today noted yesterday that both the Phillies and Yankees will be taking the train between cities to continue play at Philadelphia, then back to New York should the Series last that long.
Well if the Yankees lose in four games then they will have to take the train home :p (I highly doubt that they will fall like that, and I also wonder if they'' actually get their own train rather than riding regular NE Regionals :lol: )!

Well if the Yankees lose in four games then they will have to take the train home :p (I highly doubt that they will fall like that, and I also wonder if they'' actually get their own train rather than riding regular NE Regionals :lol: )!
Even when the Yankees lose in 5, they will have to take the train home!

Even when the Yankees lose in 5, they will have to take the train home!
If they lose Dad will come out of his coma and make them hitchhike back to New York, then spend $100 million more to get them ready for "next year"!

Go Phillies, were talking baseball and trains!! :cool:

Gathering Mode: The Run To Boston

The rides from Altoona to South Station went as smoothly as planned. Only problem was that upon arrival at Boston the RailRiot was ambushed by a motley crew of frothing Amtrak Unlimited 3rd Annual Gathering participants. With MrFSS leading the charge, this gang of single-minded miscreants insisted on a round of jovial greetings, handshakes, backslapping, train talk, and other aberrant behavior. Then the REAL trouble began.

7-day MBTA Link Passes purchased and in hand, the RailRiot headed for its lodging at Somerville: Red Line to Alewife inbound to Downtown Crossing, Orange Line outbound to Oak Grove, detraining at Sullivan Square. South Station to Downtown Crossing was fine. Attempting the transfer to the Orange Line at a station (Downtown Crossing) marked as wheelchair accessible, it was found that the transfer is not really accessible at all, and difficult improvisation with some assistance from a generous passerby was required to change trains.

On the upside, the lodging is the most acceptably accessible yet encountered during the RailRiot. In the Executive Assistant's extensive experience with the vagaries of "accessible" lodging nobody gets it perfect; but the La Quinta Somerville comes reasonably close, and is better by a fair margin than anything else encountered so far on this journey.

Morning will see the RailRiot joining other AU foaming faithful on a pre-Gathering MBTA commuter run out of North Station.

Photos:

Gathering Mode: The Run To Boston

CHOWDAH!! is served.

As a west coast Bozo whooz essentially clueless when it comes to Amtrak eastern operations, on RailRiot Day Sixteen I learned that it's futile to attempt photography from a Regional moving at 100+ mph (and have the blurred, trashed shots to prove it). An earlier revelation, on the run to Boston for the Gathering, was that although Acelas are very fast, the Regionals and other trains are no slouches either in the velocity department. Out in the mild, mild west we're used to thinking of 79 mph as fast running, and the first pleasant shock on the speed front came aboard the Pennsylvanian out of Harrisburg: by the GPS we were doing about 103 behind a P42. I'd known they're geared for 110, but actually running so rapidly was new and surprising given only the western experience to draw upon.

The ride from Boston to New York went well, but speed restrictions resulted in being tardy into Penn Station by about 30 minutes. Once I'd figured out trying to take pictures at high speed was pointless, and with nothing especially attractive to shoot during slow running, the travel time was put to use editing the last batch of Gathering photos.

Late arrival also meant we stood little chance of boarding the last off-peak LIRR train to our RailRiot lodging at Hicksville (out on Long Island) before peak fares kicked in and the 10-ride off-peak ticket (bought online at extra discount) was rendered temporarily useless. Somehow we managed to make that last train (4:01 NYP departure), but it was a close thing.

Detraining at Hicksville I proposed that we hang out on the platform for a bit to watch the action as rush hour got underway. The eagle-eyed Executive Assistant concurred, spotted an awesome sunset in progress (Mr. Observant here hadn't even noticed), and we trundled over to the west end of the platform - schlepping the bags - for photos.

The results give credence to the saying that it's better to be lucky than good, and I believe, Valued Reader, that you'll agree after taking a look at the Picasa album linked below (only 7 pics). If you don't click to expand any other RailRiot photos, I highly recommend that you do so to enjoy the full glory of the LIRR sunset captured in these lucky shots. The view, the railroad, an approaching train, the positional signals, wow was that ever fun!!

Photos:

RailRiot Day Sixteen: LIRR Sunset At Hicksville

Video:

Long Train at Long Branch. An Afternoon with the RailRiot!

The RailRiot as you know is a nearly month long adventure with Patrick (Whoozon1st) and Alice (Alice). With in days of the idea surfacing me and Patrick began to see if I could be included in some post gathering riding with the now famous RailRiot. Of course nothing was really planned until 2 days before we would ride. The plans were to get Patrick and Alice to experience New Jersey Transit (NJT) for the first time. They would ride the NJT North Jersey Coast Line to Long Branch.

They took the 2:46 departure out of New York Penn Station, giving plenty of time to get home from school, and over to the station. Alice sent me the final details including car number via text message. I had about 90 minutes until the RailRiot would be in my own backyard (well as close as one can on a train), so I packed the “essentials” of the RailRiot: a camera, a fez, timetables, and the most recent edition of trains magazine. What more does one need? I then headed to the station where I found a great free parking space, which surprised me as usually the lot is jammed until after rush hour. I then purchased the tickets I would need for the trip, and took a seat on the platform.

As there train pulled in I began to check the passing cars for there numbers. I found car 7606, I wasn’t going to chase it down the platform, so I just counted how many cars I would need to walk forward. I boarded 3 cars behind the group. I walked forward through a virtually empty train. I nearly missed the RailRiot since Whooz wasn’t armed with his usual fez. I’m glad I had mine or it wouldn’t have been a full RailRiot experience.

I was glad to see that our very own, AlanB, was also traveling with the RailRiot. The good conversation began immediately upon me sitting down. I then did my best to provide a small amount of history of some of the things we were passing. Little Silver is only 1 stop away from Long Branch, so it was only a few minutes until we reached Long Branch.

Once we hit the platform in Long Branch I watched something truly amazing, Patrick’s fine tuned approach to enjoying a train in the station. Lighting up a cigarette, while heading toward the motive power. A few puffs a few shots, then the walk to the other end of the platform. A few puffs followed by a few shots. Then back to the group to discuss any other trains that might arrive in our 20-25 minute layover. Admittedly, none of us really looked closely at a schedule.

The train set we were on went back on to a yard track still visible from the platform. It looked like the only set in the yard, so we figured it had to be ours. After the Engineer changed ends, and a new crew got on board, the train returned. Sending Patrick dashing back to the end of the platform. He vetoed a video since the train was coming in at a very slow speed.

Once the train stopped at the platform, we walked back down to the end, where Patrick took a picture of me in the fez and the motive power. I know that photo will appear somewhere on the boards so stay tuned.

Moments later, another train from the non-electrified part of the line came in to view. I informed Patrick that this train would make a stop here at Long Branch where passengers would switch to our train to continue north. After a few more pictures, I recommended we get onboard our own train, since these transfers are timed to our departure. We then boarded our train, found Alice and Alan, and began heading back to New York City.

Sadly most of the daylight evaporated shortly thereafter. The ride, at least to me, went rather quickly since the 4 of us began discussing all types of things relating to trains and transit. We talked about the fun of the gathering, and what might happen at next years. Alan is incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to transit and provided some great facts and figures.

We then arrived on Track 2 in New York Penn Station where rush hour was just starting to wind down. We considered a few places to eat, and Alan scoped one out. We then elected to head to Rose’s Pizza in the LIRR part of Penn Station. The pizza was excellent, and the good conversation continued. After a good meal me talked for awhile longer since Patrick and Alice were waiting on LIRRs off peak to kick in.

Patrick and Alice need a few things, so around 7:45 PM they left me and Alan to head to the K-Mart inside the station. Alan generously offered to swipe me into the Club Acela lounge to await my train home. Being select plus definitely has its advantages! Alan then waited with me until the posting of my track number. We said our good-byes and I was on way to track 3. Which was great since it was right next to the Club Acela door.

I easily found a seat, even though the train did get pretty full. I was on the 8:04 Long Branch Express which would save me about 30 minutes on my trip. The trip home was uneventful. Even though it was shorter then my run with the RailRiot it felt longer without the good company. My train was 8 minutes EARLY into Little Silver which was a great way to end a great night.

I want to again thank Patrick, Alice, and Alan for heading down the Coast Line and riding with me. It was very enjoyable and I was glad to be able to participate in the RailRiot!

Thanks for reading!

Now back to Patrick’s Reports. :lol:

Now back to Patrick’s Reports.
Thanks, Long Train, for that fine addition to RailRiot coverage, for joining myself and the Executive Assistant during our Garden State Extravaganza, and for keeping the masses informed while the RailRiot was incommunicado at Rouses Point, NY, during an Adirondack turn.

Thanks also, of course, to Alan for being such a gracious, knowledgeable, and helpful host to the RailRiot as it ventured with him over some of his hometown transit rails.

Greetings from Hicksville again, where the RailRiot is basking in the amenities of modern civilization once again following a primitive ordeal up by the Canadian border. That time machine experience was bookended by two excellent rides aboard the Adirondack, which featured in its consist Amtrak's sole remaining dome car. Some have characterized this "superdome" as the Whooz private varnish, and the rides did nothing to dispel that notion.

Full coverage of both the Rouses Run and riding with Alan and Long Train at a later date. Hicksville this time is a brief layover before boarding another Regional to Philly, renting a car, and heading for some weekend steam action at Strasburg, PA.

In the meantime, here's some LIRR and NJT video from the day of Long Train at Long Branch:

Did you see any "Hicks" in Hicksville? Had to ask. I grew up about a fifteen minute drive from there.

Steam At Strasburg: First Look

Let's face it: The main deal with steam is sensory overload; sights, smells, sounds, feels (ground tremor when standing close). Riding behind steam is fun and all, but for max enjoyment best be on the ground when an iron horse is pounding around (cab rides notwithstanding). Further, having apparently been spoiled by a mainline steam excursion (Santa Fe 4-8-4 No. 3751 with Amtrak consist, LAX-SAN-LAX, 6-1-08), the idea of paying 20 bucks to slog along at about 10 mph on the Strasburg Rail Road did not exactly set the old synapses to firing for either myself or the RailRiot Executive Assistant.

So instead of riding at Strasburg we did a day of RailRiot railfanning at the Rail Road. I've pretty much given up on the idea of comprehensive reporting while the RailRiot remains in progress. There just isn't the time, so the fallback option is to post brief updates, and maybe a video here and there as time allows. Complete rants will be left for afterward, when most trip reports are usually done anyway.

Early Monday, 11-9-09, the RailRiot will break camp here at Lancaster, PA, return the rental car at Philadelphia, and board the Crescent for Atlanta after consuming mass quantities of CHEESESTEAK!! for lunch.

Video:

Not the best video of the day, but given the RailRiot's hectic pace the easiest to quickly upload and post for a first look.

EDIT: It appears the RailRiot is headed into a soggy situation. According to Weather.com (the RailRiot's daily guide for how to dress) flash flood warnings will be in effect for much of Georgia starting late Monday night and lasting through Wednesday - the effects of deteriorating Hurricane Ida. Hopefully conditions will not be as dire for local residents as they were several weeks ago, and even more hopefully RailRiot activity plans will not be too negatively impacted. Just when I'da thought things couldn't get more interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back