Penn Central Car in Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AM_ROAD

Train Attendant
I noticed a Penn Central Passenger Car (might have been a baggage car) deep below on a siding in Penn Central back in 2016 and 2018. Is this a work car? Does anyone know its history, reporting numbers, and its use?

It is a work car someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But I want to say it's part of the catenary train for New York. But I believe I've most recently seen it down in Ivy City that or there are two Penn Central cars still hanging around.

It is a baggage car however and actually it's an ex Pennsylvania Railroad baggage car which I think dates back to pre 1940. It is technically Amtrak and I believe it might carry Amtrak reporting marks.

There is a lot of unique equipment still floating around in MoW service if you know when and where to look. Union Pacific maintains a large amount of Imperial class sleepers built by Pullman as work train sleepers. I believe those date back to the years before World War II.

Amtrak has a heritage coach in Phase III on the corridor right now in New Jersey with a work train.

If you know where to look you'll find a lot of cool pieces of equipment. And don't get me started on the treasure trove that is Beech Grove Shops. But more than likely no one on this board will get to wander there.

Back