Penn Central route map, 6/30/70

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Historian Michael Beschloss posted this wonderful cover of a Penn Central timetable, effective 50 years ago today, June 30, 1970. Sure to bring a lump to the throat and a flood of reminiscences from many forum members.

Question: I see that five decades ago, I would have traveled between my two cities, Washington DC and Pittsburgh, by way of Harrisburg or via a long detour to Philadelphia. Now I do it on the Capitol Limited, where Pittsburgh is about the halfway point on the way from DC to Chicago. What "legacy route" is the Capitol Limited heir to?

Attachments

• 1593543678148.png
    1593543678148.png
    551.7 KB · Views: 13
It seems like it was Only Yesterday. (This was the title of a book that I read and fondly remember from a college American history course.)

Historian Michael Beschloss posted this wonderful cover of a Penn Central timetable, effective 50 years ago today, June 30, 1970. Sure to bring a lump to the throat and a flood of reminiscences from many forum members.

Question: I see that five decades ago, I would have traveled between my two cities, Washington DC and Pittsburgh, by way of Harrisburg or via a long detour to Philadelphia. Now I do it on the Capitol Limited, where Pittsburgh is about the halfway point on the way from DC to Chicago. What "legacy route" is the Capitol Limited heir to?

Todays Amtrak Capitol Limited follows the original Baltimore and Ohio Capitol Limited from Washington to just east of Pittsburgh, then it connects to the former Pennsylvania RR route thru Pittsburgh to just east of Cleveland, then the former New York Cenral route thru Cleveland to just south of Chicago, and then back on the PRR to Chicago Union Station....

What happened to PRR's Broadway Limited? Was there a section that split at Harrisburg that went to Washington? Or was it strictly a Chicago/New York train?

What happened to PRR's Broadway Limited? Was there a section that split at Harrisburg that went to Washington? Or was it strictly a Chicago/New York train?
If you're talking about the PRR era, The Broadway Limited was strictly a New York/Chicago train. PRR's top Washington/Chicago train was the Liberty Limited.
The Amtrak era did have a Washington section for the Broadway Limited that split at Harrisburg, and later on at Philadelphia.

Similar to New York Central's 20th Century Limited...strictly New York/Chicago, with the New England States as a Boston/Chicago train. Lesser trains, and later on, trains were combined at Albany.

Question: I see that five decades ago, I would have traveled between my two cities, Washington DC and Pittsburgh, by way of Harrisburg or via a long detour to Philadelphia. Now I do it on the Capitol Limited, where Pittsburgh is about the halfway point on the way from DC to Chicago.

Was their cover actually showing routes or track? In other words, if you had to use them, how would you have gotten from DC to Pittsburgh? One train or connections?

I’m surprised to see Albany to Montreal via Mechanicsville as Penn Central. That was D&H.
They also show the Canadian Pacific-TH&B route into Toronto...PC only ran it Buffalo to Welland...

Perhaps because there were through cars in conjunction with Penn Central between New York and Montreal. The route to Toronto also included through cars between New York and Toronto but during 1970 they were discontinued and then a change was required in Buffalo.

The line shown across Canada between Buffalo and Detroit was Penn Central track.

If you're talking about the PRR era, The Broadway Limited was strictly a New York/Chicago train. PRR's top Washington/Chicago train was the Liberty Limited.
The Amtrak era did have a Washington section for the Broadway Limited that split at Harrisburg, and later on at Philadelphia.
The Penn Central-era Broadway Limited also had a Washington section, even before Amtrak. After the All-Pullman Broadway Limited was essentially discontinued, the Broadway Limited name (and some of the equipment) was transferred over to a coach-and-sleeper train formerly known as the General. The General, and thus the new Broadway Limited, had a Harrisburg-Washington section.

http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track3/libertyltd195504.html
Take some time and go thru this excellent site, run by one of our members, and learn about our streamliner era. And be sorry you were born too late...;)
The Liberty Limited was a popular train until the B&O was able to move the rival Capitol Limited from its own tracks through Pittsburgh to a more direct routing via the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie railroad. After that, the Capitol was the faster train.

They sure did give the New York Central a run for their money. Pennsy coaches were as smooth riding as silk and would glide along at astronomical speeds that was quite a thrill when I was a grade school kid going between CHI and NYC on the Broadway Limited. When dusk fell my mother treated me to a rental pillow for $.35 and I remember that crisp white sheet and fresh smell. What a 'blast' to ride that magic carpet train! :)
d4a4792253899d1b30c62ca90077c203.jpg

The Penn Central-era Broadway Limited also had a Washington section, even before Amtrak. After the All-Pullman Broadway Limited was essentially discontinued, the Broadway Limited name (and some of the equipment) was transferred over to a coach-and-sleeper train formerly known as the General. The General, and thus the new Broadway Limited, had a Harrisburg-Washington section.

I do recall seeing the schedule for The General in the PRR timetables of that era. I kind of remembered that there was a Harrisburg-Washington connection.

There was a connection in the Penn Central era, passengers had to change in Harrisburg and Baltimore if riding the connection on the old Northern Central line.
http://penncentral.railfan.net/pc-ptt/pc-ptt-east-west-10-27-68_2.jpgThe PRR train numbers for the all Pullman Broadway, 28 and 29, were dropped when that happened, and the "new Broadway" assumed the General's train numbers, 48 and 49, as well as its slower schedule.

Back