Penn Station Food

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are no food stands on platforms in NY Penn Station. All food places are on the LIRR level or the Amtrak departure concourse level, respectively two and one level below ground. The platforms are three levels below ground.

If you like seafood, the Tracks Bar on the LI level highly recommended. Also claims the longest bar in NY.

Agree on Tracks--one of the best shrimp cocktails in NYC and good cocktails. Often reward myself here when I get off the LSL from Chicago. You will be mingling at the bar with real NYC-LI commuters.

If you're leaving the platform and are pressed for time, I'll throw my weight behind Tracks. They make a great burger!

You know, I've always avoided Tracks, partly because for me it's in the far opposite corner of the station and partly because from the outside, always struck me as if it might be one of those overpriced places NYS is famous for.

But I will now rethink that.

There was a similar recent thread on good places to dine nearby, but outside Penn Station, and someone recommended for a good steak to try the landmark Keens Chop House, at 72 W. 36th Street.

Whoever that was, I wish to thank!

I enjoyed a delicious 12 oz. filet mignon there, and also second that recommendation! :)

Keens has been one of the best for many years. Used to work on 34th and then on 35th for a number of years. It was a once or twice a year special occasion destination for us. Never disappointed.

I also would recommend Tracks, which is downstairs from the Amtrak area in the Long Island Railroad area. The food is really good, and not at all overpriced for a NY place. We often have a meal there before an Amtrak trip. It is never real crowded there and is sort of hidden away in a corner of Penn Station.

There is also Kabooz restaurant, which is right in the Amtrak area. It too has good food, good beer selection, and is not too pricey.

If you don't want to go to a sit down place, there are numerous other options in the Amtrak area, and more downstairs near the LIRR and subway entrances.

David. :p

Dafni Greek Taverna at 325 W 42nd St is nice, too, but a bit further from the train station. I'll try to visit Uncle Nick's next time I'm in NYC.

There was (not sure if it is still there) a great gyro stand across the street from Union when you exit the MSG side..
It is closed, unfortunately.
Seriously? He was a great guy. He always gave me extra meat without charging.
Perhaps that is why he went out of business. He wasn't stingy like a lot of the other owners in the area and rent is extremely high in the area. Maybe it wasn't worth his effort from a financial perspective.

Whatever the case, I do miss his food.

There was (not sure if it is still there) a great gyro stand across the street from Union when you exit the MSG side..
It is closed, unfortunately.
Seriously? He was a great guy. He always gave me extra meat without charging.
Perhaps that is why he went out of business. He wasn't stingy like a lot of the other owners in the area and rent is extremely high in the area. Maybe it wasn't worth his effort from a financial perspective.

Whatever the case, I do miss his food.
Sad the good guys get ran out. Oh well.

Another good option for food is Macy's, just across the street from Penn Station.

Their restaurants are run by a 3rd party, so you will not have flashbacks of being dragged downtown by your Auntie and forced to eat tea sandwiches.

They have a pub in the basement (Rowlands) and an upmarket Trattoria on the 6th Floor (Stellas).

Ken

Strongly recommend Pizza Suprema, which is kitty-corner from the 8th St. Entrance to Penn Station. It's been rated as the best single-slice pizza in NYC by someone who tried to go to *every single place in the city*. It is extremely good.

If you like seafood, the Tracks Bar on the LI level highly recommended. Also claims the longest bar in NY.

Agree on Tracks--one of the best shrimp cocktails in NYC and good cocktails. Often reward myself here when I get off the LSL from Chicago. You will be mingling at the bar with real NYC-LI commuters.

If you're leaving the platform and are pressed for time, I'll throw my weight behind Tracks. They make a great burger!

It looks like Tracks (and a few other places) will join Gyro II on the list of places that no longer exist.

Well, if you continue to close the good places to eat in the station, this will make the cafe car (and contemporary dining car) look better.

Beloved Penn Station Bar Tracks Is Closing (Along With 9 Other Businesses)
https://gothamist.com/2019/06/14/penn_station_tracks_bar_and_grill.php

Last year, Governor Cuomo announced that a new Penn Station entrance—the East End Gateway—would be constructed at 7th Avenue and 33rd Street (this is part of a $600 million revamp of the station). Construction is starting next week, and, surprise, a whole bunch of businesses recently found out they need to close. Among them is the beloved commuter fave Tracks Raw Bar & Grill. The MTA has asked them, along with 9 other Penn Station tenants to vacate their spaces by August 31st.

Tracks has been a part of Penn Station for around 17 years. The other businesses closing along with Tracks are Auntie Anne's Pretzels, Au Bon Pain, Bank of America, Carlton Cards, Dunkin Donuts, McDonald's, Jamba Juice, and Penn Wine & Spirits.

An MTA spokesman told Gothamist on Friday morning, "No one is satisfied with the conditions of Penn Station and this is part of our transformative work to widen the main LIRR corridor, raise ceilings, build a new entrance that will bring sunlight to the main LIRR concourse and improve lighting and signage. The result will be a spacious and less congested station that is safer and easier to navigate, along with better amenities for travelers. This once-in-a-generation project has been talked about for many years and when it’s completed New York will finally have the type of modern transit hub that residents and visitors deserve." (If that other "once-in-a-generation" Penn Station project didn't happen, we wouldn't be here.)

I suppose I understand. It is time to these trains stations that became malls to revert back into giving the passengers room to gather. Services are important but so is space.

We're told the MTA is delivering the vacant spaces to Vornado (and their contractors) and as a result, they will determine if any of the businesses will be offered a chance to return once the work is concluded.

Meanwhile, they just opened a Shake Shack, chased out a few other restaurants in favor of a pharmacy (as if the the one less than 1000 feet. though upstairs away wasn't enough. I guess the Kmart pharmacy, about 500 feet away on the same level wasn't good enough either).

I sincerely doubt local, independent businesses will be able to afford the rent once the construction is completed.

They touch Magnolia I riot! Lol! Interestingly enough once about a year and a half ago or so I was on 66 and during the hour long layover I walked to the Mickey D’s and got something to eat. That was one of the few places open 24/7.

Losing Tracks is sad news indeed! Doubt it will be back--when a corporate giant like Vornado gets involved in a project, the mom and pop shops don't fare too well.

So first Metro Cafe in Chicago Union station goes away, and now Tracks at NYP. Where am I gonna eat??

Bruce C from Tracks is trying to garner some public support for an extension until they really need to move, and for a shot at new space. He has worked with Vornado previously, he was a tenant with a small but excellent food place that used to be in the walkway between 34/33 rd by One Penn. Used to buy lnch there a few times a week when I worked in that area. I hope he finds a way to stay.

Back