Penn Station H Accessible-Need advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While my wife and myself use Penn station numerous times every year, we should know the answer, but we always go the usual route. When asked by a friend who is going for surgery in NYC and returning to FL how he can access the station to board the Silver Meteor we were not sure how to answer.
He will be going by cab to the station and post op won't be that mobile, so here are the questions:
1. Where is the best place to enter Penn Station from the street where mobility is an issue. Is there a street elevator? Does it take you close to the Amtrak area?
2. When he reaches the station level, how can he obtain assistance to get to the sleeper lounge?
3. Once in the lounge he would request a Red Cap to take him down to the train. We know they have Red Caps but don't recall seeing the motorized carts there.
4. As a sleeper passenger, would he qualify for the H room? How does he book it?
Replies would be most appreciated and welcomed by my friend and myself.

Have you friend take a look at: http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

There he can see the elevator locations, and note that the "Service Drive" entrance usually has a Red Cap stationed there. That elevator is located by the Krispy Kreme on the far side of the Amtrak waiting area.

That should cover questions 1,2, and 3...I cannot remember seeing any carts, I believe the Red Cap would use a wheelchair.

As far as #4, I would think mobility issues would qualify an H room reservation. He would need to call Amtrak.

Mike

When asked by a friend who is going for surgery in NYC and returning to FL how he can access the station to board the Silver Meteor we were not sure how to answer. He will be going by cab to the station and post op won't be that mobile, so here are the questions:

Been post op myself, and remember what the 2 mile trip home was like. And having my kid be post op, and the 75 mile trip back home, 99% on a new-ish interstate highway. I can say I shutter thinking of someone, anyone, going from NYC to FL on a train after surgery. Nothing against Amtrak meant in that.

For my kid, he winced in pain with every seam in the concrete. I can envision someone dealing with each rail joint. :eek:

My friends opinion is that the train will be easier to tolerate than the plane. The surgeon advised him, NOT to fly. On the train he will be in a bed in the sleeper so that may make a difference. I just advised him to stay in NYC for a few days to see how movement affects his back surgery and he agreed to stay. He will be traveling with his wife, in the lower bunk, so the Viewliner H room may not be appropriate as there is no chair in that room. I advised him to book a std bedroom where his wife could have the top bunk and the chair during the day.

Back