Pennsylvanian and San Joaquin sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacorbett70

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Have upcoming travel plans? Book now and enjoy substantial savings with Amtrak SmartSeatsSM. Each month Amtrak will release a limited amount of discounted seats on some of our most popular routes. The routes on sale change every month, so if the sale is in your area, we’ll let you know first via email. Sign up for Amtrak e-mail now if you don't currently receive it.
This month, we’re pleased to bring you great offers from coast to coast on the Pennsylvanian or the San Joaquin. And when you book your tickets now through December 31, 2011, you’ll save 25% on travel May 1 – 31, 2012.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?ff=No&c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732514&cid=1248543314245

One thing helping the Pennsylvanian route is that Southwest Airlines recently dropped its PHL-PIT service (effective January 2012) due to unprofitability, and US Airways jumped its ticket prices 500%.

I'll be interested in the month-by-month data on the Pennsylvanian over the next six months to a year, particularly if gas prices spike at some point over the year. Driving being a lengthy (six hours Philly-to-Pittsburgh) and expensive (tolls plus gas) affair, I'm wondering how much traffic Amtrak will manage to snatch out of the market. As it stands, the Pennsylvanian is doing a rather impressive amount of business for a once-daily train (last year's ridership comes out to an average of about 284 passengers per train).

As a Pittsburgher, this entire Southwest thing has really bothered me. When USAirways was a hub here, I can remember $39 each way to PHL hourly. Ah the good old days.

I don't know how much Amtrak will be picking up from this route. I would think it would be quite a bit, but at the same time, there is the Megabus serving both cities. How what percentage of daily increase would be needed to warrant another coach being added?

Ok, can somebody tell us what the standard Pennsylvanian consist looks like? I know there's a BC car in there, and there's probably at least four coaches...my best guess would be a BC/Cafe car and five coaches, but that's strictly a guess.

Just checked the train, air and road ticket fares for Philadelphia to Pittsburg one-way for a random weekday in January (Wed, Jan 18 2012) and this is what I got-

Amtrak:

Pennsylvanian- $52. Travel time: 7 hr 23 min

Flight:

Non-stop- US Airways- $363. Travel time: 1 hr 8 min

One-stop- Delta- PHL-DTW-PIT- $80. Total travel time including layover: 4 hr 6 min

Road

Megabus- $5. Travel time 6 hr 40 min

Driving

AAA's Fuel Calculator says Philadelphia-Pittsburg gas cost for a Toyota Camry at current gas prices is approx $48 + toll.

Except business travelers running on tight schedules, I can see what options other travelers will take (hint: it's not Amtrak).

Megabus in Pittsburgh is becoming unruly. It is chaos down there at the Megabus Station 15 minute drop off under the Convention Center.

How much longer before Megabus gets in trouble for it's passengers? How much longer till Convention Center Management says "no more!"

Megabus has already been kicked off the corner of Liberty and 10th.

Ok, can somebody tell us what the standard Pennsylvanian consist looks like? I know there's a BC car in there, and there's probably at least four coaches...my best guess would be a BC/Cafe car and five coaches, but that's strictly a guess.

Amfleet II Coach [59 seats]

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet I Coach [84? seats]

Amfleet I Dinette

Amfleet I Business [60 seats]

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet I Dinette

Here's a look at today's train 43 and it fits your consist list to a T.

One thing I noticed is that the "Smart Seats" discount is for Coach class only (meaning not valid as "base" fare for BC). This means a BC upgrade would be significantly more than the usual $24, as the coach portion would be re-priced to a regular bucket. Through passengers from PGH get placed in the Amfleet II and the train carries the 60-seat 2x2 Business Class. So I doubt there is more leg room in BC than in the Amfleet II's.

Then again, there is the free drink and hopefully being separated from screaming kids. Maybe also a better shot at a window on the Horseshoe Curve side when boarding on a later stop. And when I recently rode, I discovered the wifi only reaches the BC and the cafe car so coach passengers would have to walk to the Cafe to connect.

Megabus in Pittsburgh is becoming unruly. It is chaos down there at the Megabus Station 15 minute drop off under the Convention Center.

How much longer before Megabus gets in trouble for it's passengers? How much longer till Convention Center Management says "no more!"

Occupy Pittsburgh! I've lost track of them, thanks for the update! :lol:

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet I Dinette

How does Amfleet II Coach have 59 seats while Amfleet I Coach have as many as 84 seats? From the video I saw, there doesn't seem to be any considerable difference in length of the I car from the II car, so how do the extra 25 seats fit? Is there much less legroom? In which case, are the tickets sold at same price bucket for Amfleet II and Amfleet I cars on Pennsylvanian? Matter of luck who gets what or is there some strategy put in?

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet I Dinette

How does Amfleet II Coach have 59 seats while Amfleet I Coach have as many as 84 seats? From the video I saw, there doesn't seem to be any considerable difference in length of the I car from the II car, so how do the extra 25 seats fit? Is there much less legroom? In which case, are the tickets sold at same price bucket for Amfleet II and Amfleet I cars on Pennsylvanian? Matter of luck who gets what or is there some strategy put in?
Short-haul passengers in the Amfleet I. The cars were delivered with 84 seats, but they may have 76 or 72 now. The tickets are sold the way they typically are. It's just that the people who travel longer distances (or those who travel when the train isn't full or travel when the train isn't full of NEC-PGH passengers) are given better seating than the business class passengers.

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet I Dinette

The Amfleet ll cars have more space between each row for more legroom. I think they once had a nice foot rest on each seat too. And they recline back further (more like a bed). And the Amfleet ll cars have decent sized windows (noticeable larger than Amfleet l windows). That is really nice.

You can spot an Amfleet ll car by looking at the ends of the car - an Amfleet ll has only one end with vestibule doors. I think that the Amfleet l cars will have doors at each end. Also I think that the two different cars have different style trucks, and of course the larger windows are on the Amfleet ll cars - but that can be a bit difficult to notice as a train races by.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked the train, air and road ticket fares for Philadelphia to Pittsburg one-way for a random weekday in January (Wed, Jan 18 2012) and this is what I got-

Amtrak:

Pennsylvanian- $52. Travel time: 7 hr 23 min

Flight:

Non-stop- US Airways- $363. Travel time: 1 hr 8 min

One-stop- Delta- PHL-DTW-PIT- $80. Total travel time including layover: 4 hr 6 min

Road

Megabus- $5. Travel time 6 hr 40 min

Driving

AAA's Fuel Calculator says Philadelphia-Pittsburg gas cost for a Toyota Camry at current gas prices is approx $48 + toll.

Except business travelers running on tight schedules, I can see what options other travelers will take (hint: it's not Amtrak).
Two questions:

1) What does the dog offer, fare-wise?

2) What's the high-bucket Megabus fare?

Short-haul passengers in the Amfleet I. The cars were delivered with 84 seats, but they may have 76 or 72 now. The tickets are sold the way they typically are. It's just that the people who travel longer distances (or those who travel when the train isn't full or travel when the train isn't full of NEC-PGH passengers) are given better seating than the business class passengers.

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet I Dinette

59? I'd believe 60. Or less, maybe 50. But it has to be an even number. There is no seat missing on Amfleet II equipment. Amfleet I's have 70 seats I think if not it's 72, and you were correct with 60 BC seats.

Occupy Pittsburgh! I've lost track of them, thanks for the update! :lol:
No way. Occupy Pittsburgh is far more organized than the Megabus pickup spot.

Amtrak said:
Fares are non-refundable once ticketed; exchanges are permitted within ticket validity period.
How tightly restricted is this offer? I am fine with Amtrak keeping the money and applying it to a future ticket, even on the Pennsylvanian. I very likely will be riding in May, I just don't have exact dates set and won't before the sale period is over.

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet II Coach

Amfleet I Dinette

59? I'd believe 60. Or less, maybe 50. But it has to be an even number. There is no seat missing on Amfleet II equipment. Amfleet I's have 70 seats I think if not it's 72, and you were correct with 60 BC seats.

Amfleet Is have 72 seats.

Amfleet IIs have 60, but my understanding is that one of the pairs in the row closest to the vestibule is not sold as two seats, so as to provide adequate space for a single handicapped passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back