Pennsylvanian (Coach vs Business Class)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be taking the Pennsylvanian (Philly to Pittsburgh) next week.

Is the Business Class car close to the boarding stairs (or further away)?

Does the Business Class car on the Pennsylvanian have smaller windows than the coaches? Trying to decide whether I want to try to use a 12-hour upgrade coupon. I'm in the accessible seat, so footrests and seat pitch are irrelevant.

This next question doesn't apply here as I'm boarding at PGH, but for future reference, is the 12-hour window based on boarding station departure, or on the time the train starts its run at the originating station?

Last edited:
It says "departure", and I'm pretty sure it means boarding station departure. Otherwise, it would be almost impossible to use on the Palmetto northbound from D.C., which I think I have done.

Does the Business Class car on the Pennsylvanian have smaller windows than the coaches? Trying to decide whether I want to try to use a 12-hour upgrade coupon. I'm in the accessible seat, so footrests and seat pitch are irrelevant.

This next question doesn't apply here as I'm boarding at PGH, but for future reference, is the 12-hour window based on boarding station departure, or on the time the train starts its run at the originating station?
Yes, the Business Class car on the Pennsylvanian is an Amfleet I car with smaller windows than the coaches which are Amfleet II.

BC is also typically quieter - >much< quieter - and the cars cleaner - sometimes, >much< cleaner. Conductors tend to treat one more politely, as well.

On the last two: it ought not be that way, but it is the reality.

I've never done business class on the Pennsylvanian before, but I always ride coach out of Pittsburgh. I do agree with the statement above that since you're leaving out of Pittsburgh itself, you'll be able to claim a good coach seat (if you actually do coach).

I always aim for the window seat and always snag one, no matter where I am in line in boarding.

Back