Pennsylvanian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bretton88

Conductor
I am taking this train NYP-Pitt in 2 weeks. Is it worth getting business class on this route? Amtrak is inconsistent in its BC, so how are the amenities on this train? Are there Amfleet 2 for coach? Thanks,

There are Amfleet 2 in the coach section, but there's also at least one amfleet 1 coach. The business class is the 60 pax 2x2 type, so no roominess advantage over the AF 2 coach. Your only risks if you ride coach is 1, it might be more crowded than BC, and 2, you might get stuck in an AF 1 coach. But since you're leaving from NYP, you should be able to get your choice of seat. Oh, and you get free coffee, tea, and soda if you ride BC.

There are Amfleet 2 in the coach section, but there's also at least one amfleet 1 coach. The business class is the 60 pax 2x2 type, so no roominess advantage over the AF 2 coach. Your only risks if you ride coach is 1, it might be more crowded than BC, and 2, you might get stuck in an AF 1 coach. But since you're leaving from NYP, you should be able to get your choice of seat. Oh, and you get free coffee, tea, and soda if you ride BC.
Thank you, sounds like it might not be worth the upgrade cost.

I agree with others that business class is not worth it on this particular train. I see the Pennsylvanian go by often (my commuter train station is on the same route), and it has several Amfleet IIs, and usually just one Amfleet I.

The nice thing about the Pennysylvanian is that they do not assign seats, so you don't get stuck in the Amfleet I, and you have your choice of nice Amfleet II coaches. Very roomy, and curtains on the windows.

If you are not happy with the coach you are in (noisy crowd around you, for example), when people get off at Philly you could check out the other coaches and see if there is one you like better (they stay in Philly for about half an hour, as I recall, so you have a few minutes before the next group gets on there).

Also, remember to look for the Horseshoe Curve near Altoona--the conductor (or just about everyone else on here who has ridden this train) can tell you exactly where it will be--it's near Altoona, but I can't remember exactly when you should start looking for it.

Also be on the lookout immediately after departing Harrisburg, for the Rockville Bridge over which you'll cross the Susquehanna River. After crossing the river you run parallel to it for a few minutes before turning left to enter the Juniata River valley and gorge, which you follow most of the way to Altoona. After Altoona the climb to the summit at Gallitzin Tunnel begins. On this stretch is the Horseshoe Curve. Take a seat on the left hand side for best viewing.

Also be on the lookout immediately after departing Harrisburg, for the Rockville Bridge over which you'll cross the Susquehanna River. After crossing the river you run parallel to it for a few minutes before turning left to enter the Juniata River valley and gorge, which you follow most of the way to Altoona. After Altoona the climb to the summit at Gallitzin Tunnel begins. On this stretch is the Horseshoe Curve. Take a seat on the left hand side for best viewing.
Left side, that is good information. Thank you.

Just to confuse matters, the Pennsylvanian operates with all the seats oriented backwards from New York to Philadelphia. Leaving New York, the left side recommended by jis will be looking in the direction the seats are facing, not looking in the direction the train is moving.

During the Philadelphia stop the locomotives are changed and the train changes direction. The train then runs from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh with the seats facing forward. Now, left in the direction the seats are facing will also be left based on the way the train is traveling. Clear (as mud)?

Just to confuse matters, the Pennsylvanian operates with all the seats oriented backwards from New York to Philadelphia. Leaving New York, the left side recommended by jis will be looking in the direction the seats are facing, not looking in the direction the train is moving.

During the Philadelphia stop the locomotives are changed and the train changes direction. The train then runs from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh with the seats facing forward. Now, left in the direction the seats are facing will also be left based on the way the train is traveling. Clear (as mud)?
Left based on direction of seats. I will keep that in mind.

And along the Juniata, the right side is the side to be on.

I am taking this train NYP-Pitt in 2 weeks. Is it worth getting business class on this route? Amtrak is inconsistent in its BC, so how are the amenities on this train? Are there Amfleet 2 for coach? Thanks,
I took the Pennsylvanian all the way round trip in business class in April 2014, and it was great! I'm not sure if the business class is worth it for everybody, but the car was never very full and everyone got two seats to themselves. What was really nice was that the BC car was the last in the consist, which allowed me to take some sweet pictures from the rear of the train in the vestibule.

Definitely don't miss the Horseshoe Curve. I would suggest going down to the cafe car and asking the crew how long it is until the curve. You might be able to get a better view from the cafe car anyway. On my way back to NYP from PGH, the conductor actually got on the PA and talked about the history and importance of the Horseshoe Curve.

The Pennsylvanian is a pretty awesome route. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with others that business class is not worth it on this particular train. I see the Pennsylvanian go by often (my commuter train station is on the same route), and it has several Amfleet IIs, and usually just one Amfleet I.

The nice thing about the Pennysylvanian is that they do not assign seats, so you don't get stuck in the Amfleet I, and you have your choice of nice Amfleet II coaches. Very roomy, and curtains on the windows.

If you are not happy with the coach you are in (noisy crowd around you, for example), when people get off at Philly you could check out the other coaches and see if there is one you like better (they stay in Philly for about half an hour, as I recall, so you have a few minutes before the next group gets on there).

Also, remember to look for the Horseshoe Curve near Altoona--the conductor (or just about everyone else on here who has ridden this train) can tell you exactly where it will be--it's near Altoona, but I can't remember exactly when you should start looking for it.
Recently there hasn't been an Amfleet I Coach on this train at all. All Amfleet II except for BC and Cafe.

When the train is sold out and there's an Amfleet I in the consist, they'll sometimes load everyone at Pittsburgh going all the way into it purely because it's the last car. Never seen any seat assignments going westbound.

I usually take BC on the Wolverine, and it's worth it-I'm on 95 right now from BWI to ALX, and it's fed eyelet not.....apparently I paid almost double, for free coffee....otherwise it's a normal NEC coach.

I usually take BC on the Wolverine, and it's worth it-I'm on 95 right now from BWI to ALX, and it's fed eyelet not.....apparently I paid almost double, for free coffee....otherwise it's a normal NEC coach.
You took 95 to avoid 95 (I-95)? :p

In my experience the BC car was on the rear of the train.
That would be true for NYP to PHL, as the train changes direction in the station before heading over the keystone line.

There was a time a few years back as I recall when it was indeed the case that the BC was in the rear between PHL and PGH. It was then also an ex-Metroliner Club Car. But that changed quite a while back to the current setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be true for NYP to PHL, as the train changes direction in the station before heading over the keystone line.
There was a time a few years back as I recall when it was indeed the case that the BC was in the rear between PHL and PGH. It was then also an ex-Metroliner Club Car. But that changed quite a while back to the current setup.
Maybe jis is correct because when I went from NYP-PGH in April of 2014, the BC car was on the rear, at least from PHL to PGH. I can't remember where it was from PHL to NYP. But it wasn't an ex-Metroliner Club Car.

Back a few years ago, BC on the Pennsylvanian used to be an ex-Metroliner Club with the 2x1 seating and 18 BC seats. But it was success that did it in. Now BC uses a full regular BC car with 2x2 seating with 60 BC seats.

Maybe jis is correct because when I went from NYP-PGH in April of 2014, the BC car was on the rear, at least from PHL to PGH. I can't remember where it was from PHL to NYP. But it wasn't an ex-Metroliner Club Car.
Yeah, it is quite likely that the two changes did not take place at the same time. I remember being in the BC at the tail end and I got chatting with the Conductor as we were heading east through Gallitzin. As we got close to the Hosrseshoe Curve he opened the right hand rear door and placed his arm across it and invited me to stand behind his arm and click away with my camera as we went around the curve. That is why I distinctly remember the location of the car. My trip was well before 2014, since I moved to Florida in 2014 and haven't ridden much train in the Northeast since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back