Penny Wise - Pound Foolish at Truckee?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chakk

Engineer
Today's 5(30) was required to triple stop at Truckee because the station personnel only shovel enough snow off the platform to trackside the width of one Superliner door opening.

So, the first stop allowed the conductor to detrain from the crew dorm (and possibly drop a pasgr?),. Second stop was two car lengths further to service the 531 sleeper. Third stop was three car lengths further to service the 511 coach.

Total dwell time in station = 15 minutes. I would think that station personnel could have plowed the remaining length of platform left snow-covered in less time than that, and would only have to do it two or three times per week in half the months of the year.

When did it last snow? I've seen this once at various stops on the Capitol Limited but it was during an intense snow storm with high winds from the lake.

I'm no snow shoveling expert... But 15 minutes for 1 man to shovel an entire train length platform?

And does this train normally double spot there anyways?

Surprised to see £ (pound) foolish... I always imagined you guys would say Dollar foolish? :p

It's a saying from England Eddie! We used to be a Colony till Cornwall surrendered! We still have a few words and sayings left over from those times!

It snows a ton in Truckee! Not many trains stop there daily and could be a cost cutting measure for on duty station people. Could be a senior person on duty for shoveling duties. Maybe it just snowed and thats all there was time for. Maybe its not that big of an issue.

It's hard to tell where the platform ends on GoogleMaps but it would appear that a double spot would probably be normal here.

Double spot is normal. I have been on the train when there was no snow and they had to double spot.

I particularly remember, because I got off with the conductor so my brother (who lives there) could greet me. I was assured that I had to stay right next to the conductor, and get back on the train with him, or get left. I got back on, but I got in a good three-minute hug.

I was in Yosemite last night. It snowed very heavily for a full 24 hours. I'm not surprised at all that the platform was not yet shoveled.

5 has plenty of padding heading into SAC and the Bay Area, so a 15-minute stop isn't a huge problem. The specific train in question 5(30) arrived into

SAC 17 minutes early. I understand how long stops must be frustrating to passengers, but at the end of the day this isn't really a big issue, IMO.

Add a couple of shovels to the consist. Have passengers alight with the conductor and shovels for the first stop. Commence shoveling extra space. Respot. Allow for detraining and boarding. Toss the shovels on the train (or leave with the station agent.) Offer the shovelers a free drink for their efforts.

Add a couple of shovels to the consist. Have passengers alight with the conductor and shovels for the first stop. Commence shoveling extra space. Respot. Allow for detraining and boarding. Toss the shovels on the train (or leave with the station agent.) Offer the shovelers a free drink for their efforts.
Or maybe offer Coach versus Sleeper Snowball Fights in the Lounge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back