Pensioner's Progress: Visiting India on a Pension...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learn something new every day, where in the US would we buy them?
Most American supermarkets have a shelf of "Jewish" or "kosher" packaged food items, usually near the selection of "Mexican" and "Asian" packaged food items. The Jewish items will include matzah, gefilte fish in jars, kosher grape juice, Maneschewitz wine (if the local liquor laws allow), and a few Israeli items. You'll find this stuff even in some pretty unlikely locations. The H-E-B store in Uvalde Texas stocked Sabra hummus, lox, bagels, pickled herring (a Jewish delicacy of eastern European origin), Maneschewitz wine and similar items. Since I believe that my presence in Uvalde was a major increase in the Jewish population of the area, I wondered who was buying this stuff. Then in the checkout line I saw a Mexican-American cowboy with a bottle of Maneschewitz wine in his shopping cart.

Most American supermarkets have a shelf of "Jewish" or "kosher" packaged food items, usually near the selection of "Mexican" and "Asian" packaged food items. The Jewish items will include matzah, gefilte fish in jars, kosher grape juice, Maneschewitz wine (if the local liquor laws allow), and a few Israeli items. You'll find this stuff even in some pretty unlikely locations. The H-E-B store in Uvalde Texas stocked Sabra hummus, lox, bagels, pickled herring (a Jewish delicacy of eastern European origin), Maneschewitz wine and similar items. Since I believe that my presence in Uvalde was a major increase in the Jewish population of the area, I wondered who was buying this stuff. Then in the checkout line I saw a Mexican-American cowboy with a bottle of Maneschewitz wine in his shopping cart.
Surprisingly Mexico has a fairly large Jewish population, especially in the Cities.

I'm surprised Uvalde, out in the Big Nowhere, would have that stuff in Texas favorite Supermarket!

Also, when I was a boy in the South, all the places we lived in ( most Military Bases were in Small Towns)had Jewish families that were Merchants who ran most of the Stores in town.(there were also Lebanese Merchsnts in lots of the towns)

Last edited:
Also, when I was a boy in the South, all the places we lived in ( most Military Bases were in Small Towns)had Jewish families that were Merchants who ran most of the Stores in town.(there were also Lebanese Merchsnts in lots of the towns)

Most of those Jewish communities are long gone. Between Wal-Mart and other big-box stores trashing the business of the small local stores, and the fact that the kids of these small-town merchants would go off to college and pick some other profession than running Dad's store, the Jews of the South are now located in the larger cities.

Ed, we've just this second booked our train to the Gathering, what about you?

Gosh, that is exciting news! Which route are you arriving by / coming from?

I am genuinely interested in attending, but think I will wait untill I can get my ESTA renewed, and know that the US is actually open for tourists. I have been pondering hotels and such in the Chicago area this morning! :)

Depending on how / when things open, I could fly direct to Chicago, and have an Amtrak related holiday after, or do the Amtrak trips first. Will see how it goes! It would be funny to finally meet up with you so far from the UK! ;)

Gosh, that is exciting news! Which route are you arriving by / coming from?

We're completely made up, even started to smile again. We'll not take our serious hats off until we see that it's completely acceptable to travel internationally, acceptable to others and to ourselves, it's easy to change as Amtrak are allowing plenty of time to move dates.

We are travelling on the Zephyr EMY to CHI although the Texas Eagle was our first choice. The TE has remained stubbonly at over $1000 for a Roomette and for a little more we could get a bedroom which we have never used or needed, but the opportunity was there and on top of that have never travelled the CZ west to east either.
We'll probably fly to Los Angeles as Rosie sufferes jet lag a bit. We can hang around for a couple of days as we find loads to do there and like their public transport system too. Then the Coast Stalight up to EMY the day before leaving on the CZ, seems like a plan to us.

I am genuinely interested in attending, but think I will wait untill I can get my ESTA renewed, and know that the US is actually open for tourists. I have been pondering hotels and such in the Chicago area this morning! :)

We booked a cancellable hotel a couple of months ago, can pm you the details if you would like.

Depending on how / when things open, I could fly direct to Chicago, and have an Amtrak related holiday after, or do the Amtrak trips first. Will see how it goes! It would be funny to finally meet up with you so far from the UK! ;)

I'll be tongue tied, over to you

... have never travelled the CZ west to east either.

You will like going eastbound on the CZ, full daylight all the way over Donner Pass, wake up in Utah as you ascend Soldier Summit, then if it's late enough to be dark as you descend the Rocky Mtn Front, the lights of Denver are spectacular!

Last edited:
Hi Jamie,

Yes, please let me know your hotel. I will probably stay out near the airport, rooms are much cheaper, but nothing decided yet, on any front!

Cheers.

Sent you a pm then forgot to add the link. Have added the link now so if you have read the message refresh it.

You will like going eastbound on the CZ, full daylight all the way over Donner Pass, wake up in Utah as you ascend Soldier Summit, the if it's late enough to be dark as you descend the Rocky Mtn Front, the lights of Denver are spectacular!

Thanks Jennifer, can't wait. Also looks as though the Sierras will all be in daylight too, eastbound really does work for sightseeing.

When do you think you will be able to get back east, is it anytime soon? And what about the Gathering, is that possible?

v v, I took the Trans Sib twice, once in the winter and once in the summer and both were nice but the winter trip was the better of the two. The unending snowy forest was simply awe inspiring! I saw a hunter or two but it was just primeval in the empty vistas. When I was looking out the window of the train car, it seemed like it was just me, the snow and the birch trees. Even the apartment buildings by the side of the tracks were almost completely dark at night with only a few lights glowing.
But the amount of time it takes to get from Beijing to Moscow is so LLLOOOONNNGG! I can't imagine doing Vladivostok to Moscow without at least one break. I stopped at Lake Baikal and it was very nice. Relaxing in the sauna after several days of train travel was a huge plus. On my non-stop summer trip everyone in my group somehow came to the mistaken conclusion that we were one day closer to Moscow that we actually were. Not good when we all realized we were a day further out than we had thought. Stopping off en route is a good thing.
I used Monkey Shrine to get the visas and the tickets, and I recommend them. They saved me a ton of work.
Both trips I booked Soft Sleeper and ended up with 4 people on the first leg from Beijing to Ulaan Baatar and then had just one roomie in the 4 bed compartment for most of the rest of the trip. If I get to do it again, I will stop in Irkutsk again plus I will pony up the cash for the long leg and pay for a first class compartment with its own toilet, shared with just one other compartment. The toilets were the one irritating thing about the train, they get pretty dirty after a couple days.
And I would get more inventive with the dried foods I brought along. The samovar has boiling hot water so ramen is just the beginning. I hit a hiking goods store in Beijing for dehydrated food and though expensive they were worth it. I would definitely bring a tea mug with infuser built in to the mug. Some of the best conversations were with people about what they liked to add to their tea to make it the way they liked it. And I am a coffee guy normally.

Which season do you intend travel in, do you have a preference?

Generalising the 2 trains that head south are a mix of visitors to Russia and commuter. The Vladovostok (in winter) is almost a commuter train only, Russians made up all the numbers except for the example below. There were only 4 western visitors on the entire train we travelled on, maybe 18 passenger cars in total with about 80% occupancy.

On our trip from Moscow eastwards there were 2 Third Class cars at the rear of the train, there were some Russians but mainly North Koreans going home after a stint of work near to Moscow, could be the longest commute in the world? at least by train.

Last edited:
You will like going eastbound on the CZ, full daylight all the way over Donner Pass, wake up in Utah as you ascend Soldier Summit, the if it's late enough to be dark as you descend the Rocky Mtn Front, the lights of Denver are spectacular!

Soldier Summit, A place I'm quite familiar with from long ago. I was so happy we were running late on the CZ and I was able to see it in the daylight.

v v - My TS booking was for late August into September last year and that'd be my travel-time preference when I can re-book.

I've heard that the (northern) winter season can be spectacular, but as that coincides with my summer, it's not a time I want to leave home for an extended period. I live in a bushfire-prone part of Oz and I don't want to be away from being able to defend it or evacuate key possessions were the balloon to go up, nor to leave my non-travelling partner to deal with things on her own.

And because all you lot decided to build your countries so far away, whenever I hit the road from Oz for a bit of a look-around to see what you're up to, I lime to go for several weeks at a time, so maximising the cost of the long trip there and back.

I was very disappointed to miss last year's opportunity, and I'm hoping I can re-establish it as soon as it's prudent to do so. I'd happily make a cross-Russia TS trip in one go, but I reckon there's so much to see along the way, it'd be a shame to gulp it down instead of savouring it. And I'd like to pay my respects to the then CCCP and its people (even if just one packet of Tim Tams at a time) for their key role in the fight against facism which helped give me the options I currently enjoy.

Thanks Jennifer, can't wait. Also looks as though the Sierras will all be in daylight too, eastbound really does work for sightseeing.

Sorry to just use the names of the mountain passes. For those who don't live in the mountains:
Donner Pass is the summit of the Sierra Range between Sacramento and Reno
Soldier Summit is the summit of the Wasatch Range between Provo and Helper (Utah).

When do you think you will be able to get back east, is it anytime soon? And what about the Gathering, is that possible?

I am hoping to go back east during the snowy winter months in early 2022, to see family in Boston and Vermont. Sorry, but the Gathering happens to fall at a time of year when I am busy with winter preparations of all kinds (putting up food, firewood, etc). Living off-grid has its perks, and its price.

Sorry to just use the names of the mountain passes. For those who don't live in the mountains:
Donner Pass is the summit of the Sierra Range between Sacramento and Reno
Soldier Summit is the summit of the Wasatch Range between Provo and Helper (Utah).

My US geography is improving so no harm done.

I am hoping to go back east during the snowy winter months in early 2022, to see family in Boston and Vermont. Sorry, but the Gathering happens to fall at a time of year when I am busy with winter preparations of all kinds (putting up food, firewood, etc). Living off-grid has its perks, and its price.

First, that's a shame as you have many friends on AU, but nature wont wait for you if you put those jobs off.
Your last sentence is spot on, if only there was a middle way.

v v, I took the Trans Sib twice, once in the winter and once in the summer and both were nice but the winter trip was the better of the two. The unending snowy forest was simply awe inspiring! I saw a hunter or two but it was just primeval in the empty vistas. When I was looking out the window of the train car, it seemed like it was just me, the snow and the birch trees. Even the apartment buildings by the side of the tracks were almost completely dark at night with only a few lights glowing.

How many billion Birch trees does that country have. After a while the vista you describe becomes mesmeric, how can any country be so vast. What about the train stations en route, all in different brightly painted colours.

We met a couple of young men from the city of Chita, a giant city in the middle of Siberia, one of the coldest places in Siberia. I think they said it was like living on an island. Our translator was a lovely 10 year old Russian girl who was Harry Potter mad and was learning English as fast as possible.
The lads (25-28 years old) were off to Vladivostok to buy a Japanese used car, it was a mere 3 days on the TransSib to Vlad and they were having a ball. In real life one owned a business the other was a surveyor, but on their 'holiday' thay acted like teenagers.

As I've mentioned for us it was the teeming life on the train with Russia passing the windows that was the draw. We nearly went back last year to vist central Siberia and Chita but Covid...

But the amount of time it takes to get from Beijing to Moscow is so LLLOOOONNNGG! I can't imagine doing Vladivostok to Moscow without at least one break. I stopped at Lake Baikal and it was very nice. Relaxing in the sauna after several days of train travel was a huge plus. On my non-stop summer trip everyone in my group somehow came to the mistaken conclusion that we were one day closer to Moscow that we actually were. Not good when we all realized we were a day further out than we had thought. Stopping off en route is a good thing.

I think we approached it as a challange, how would we feel doing that journey in one go. Three of us in our party and all very different, we all thought it was an amazing experience and 2 of us were actually disappointed to be leaving our moving home and the people we met on there, real withdrawal symptoms.

I used Monkey Shrine to get the visas and the tickets, and I recommend them. They saved me a ton of work.
Both trips I booked Soft Sleeper and ended up with 4 people on the first leg from Beijing to Ulaan Baatar and then had just one roomie in the 4 bed compartment for most of the rest of the trip. If I get to do it again, I will stop in Irkutsk again plus I will pony up the cash for the long leg and pay for a first class compartment with its own toilet, shared with just one other compartment. The toilets were the one irritating thing about the train, they get pretty dirty after a couple days.
And I would get more inventive with the dried foods I brought along. The samovar has boiling hot water so ramen is just the beginning. I hit a hiking goods store in Beijing for dehydrated food and though expensive they were worth it. I would definitely bring a tea mug with infuser built in to the mug. Some of the best conversations were with people about what they liked to add to their tea to make it the way they liked it. And I am a coffee guy normally.

We used three agencies, two for Russia and one for Poland, we travelled by train from London to Moscow the long way round including the Ukraine. The agencies can do things we mere mortals can't, sometimes at a price.

In the 3 cars we knew of the bathrooms were always immaculate, cleaned many times each day. There appeared to be a sense of national pride and duty in the way they approached it. The whole car and each compartment was vacuumed at least once each day, quite amazing.

These TransSib journeys really do leave a mark on you don't they, whichever route and whatever way you travel.

Back