People will steal your stuff on amtrak right in front of you.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#3 I did show the conductor if you expect all details, you can buy the book on amazon when it comes out

I truly hope that this line is some type of a joke. Sorry, but I can't imagine the book (even one self-published and available on Amazon) that we can be expecting written in your particular style.

You don't seem to be understanding that there are things in your posts that come off as pretty offensive to many people. I think that's why you keep getting responses.

But at this point, I'm out. Pretty sure no opinions are going to change. Have a nice night.

I've got to see this 16 foot machete. How does someone maneuver such a monster onto a train? Could the OP post a photo of this? Or even a hand drawn example?

No doubt there are some criminals among the 32 million-plus Amtrak pax per year but I'm thinking this is not credible.
More to the point, did Amtrak charge extra for the 16 foot machete? LOL

#6 if you think the police take police reports for 30 in damages bag, and 20 in stolen items, on a moving amtrak train, well, then you are the type person I wrote the post for.

Actually they do, in fact Amtrak even has their own police force that can handle that type of stuff if the local law enforcement doesn't.

peter

This thread reminds me of a certain now-deceased law enforcement officer who didn't put up with this kind of mess.

Ehbowen will probably know who I'm referring to, because he and I are on a law enforcement forum where this late gentleman was a longtime member (and well-respected by both LE and civilian members I might add).

If he cut into the bag while you were gone and you didn't notice it until 10 minutes after he left ... he didn't steal "your stuff right in front of you" like the title says.

This almost sounds like racial profiling

Perhaps if you didn't chain and lock your bag down it would look so much like it had precious valuables in it - since most just drop their bags on the floor or toss them in the upper shelf area and never have anyone mess with them

Somehow I don't think Amtrak is in the business of "shipping homeless" anywhere - as long as they have a valid ticket, I guess they are allowed to ride the train the same as the rest of us ticket holders.

This does not quite agree with crime statistics. NY is NOT a crime-free city. I have not heard others I know who live in California express that "theft is normal and not prosecuted". I know a guy who lived in San Diego for nearly four years and he has never mentioned "almost everyone" carrying a knife or that guys walk around with machetes of any size hooked to their waste bands.

The way this Original Post is presented has caused skepticism as to the validity of the claims. Perhaps some of the post is exasperation or hysteria talking while describing what would have been a very upsetting experience. However, since there was no mention of reporting this to the car attendant and/or conductor ... and their response - many have expressed their doubts. I hope you understand the reasons for many of the comments thus far.

If you could give a more "down-to-earth" account of this experience it may help the rest of us to fully understand what happened and why no action seemed to be taken by the authorities.

oops, sorry, did not mean to repeat he entire posting, just wanted to agree totally with all you stated, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
#1 many gas stations sell pocket knives, in San Diego. If you havnt lived there, or even been to it, your opinion of San Diego doesnt hold much value. #2 theft is very common in california. I dont have time to educate you but they made laws so people can break into cars and not go to jail unless you can prove with video the door was locked. Reason? They dont have room in jail or courts. #3 I did show the conductor if you expect all details, you can buy the book on amazon when it comes out. #4 how is it racial profiling if 5 guys, all same hair and skin color, all same age within 7 years, are behind me and I didnt remember. That's reality. You are trying to make it a racial thing to fit your agenda. #6 if you think the police take police reports for 30 in damages bag, and 20 in stolen items, on a moving amtrak train, well, then you are the type person I wrote the post for. For people from normal parts of the country who arent around criminals much. And amtrak does have homeless and people just out of prison, I'm in the seats always, not the roommates, and I am familiar with all states homeless programs. They all ship homeless out any chance they get.

I've lived in California most of my life, and I would disagree with most of what have said. I have been to almost every other state. Your comparisons are just not true.

Back