Pet Policy Ignored on Coast Starlight Today #11

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was probably not a service animal, only a comfort pet. Those are not allowed on Amtrak. I don't think it would hurt crew members to ask what service the animal was there to provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 pugs 1 which is a service animal he knows 6 different camands. Pugs r really quick learners if u start them young & know what ur doing when trying 2 train them. Just by looking @ me u would not know I need a service dog. Don't judge just because u can't see what is there. I do agree a service animal should be controled at all times. Mine does not wear a vest at this time as I can't afford one however I do not take him in grocery stores, resteraunts nor the food section of any store, my husband goes and gets what we need so as 2 not offend any1. I do really need him but still try 2 respect others & I limit where I go for that reason.

Debbie said:
1338869763[/url]' post='371616']I have 2 pugs 1 which is a service animal he knows 6 different camands. Pugs r really quick learners if u start them young & know what ur doing when trying 2 train them. Just by looking @ me u would not know I need a service dog. Don't judge just because u can't see what is there. I do agree a service animal should be controled at all times. Mine does not wear a vest at this time as I can't afford one however I do not take him in grocery stores, resteraunts nor the food section of any store, my husband goes and gets what we need so as 2 not offend any1. I do really need him but still try 2 respect others & I limit where I go for that reason.
Sine this is basically an anonymous situation, would U mind sharing what your service dog does to help you? Just curious.

Gee, my cat knows at least 6 different commands (which he obeys depending on his mood) His presence functions like an anti-anxiety medication for me - he keeps me in a good/cheery mood.

I think it would be grossly unfair to the cat to take him on Amtrak but could one use this argument?

I think it would be grossly unfair to the cat to take him on Amtrak but could one use this argument?
I don't know if anyone would believe a cat could possibly be a service animal, no matter how good he makes you feel.

I can tell you that the only "service" my cat provides is verifying the continued existence of gravity by knocking items off desks and shelves.

I don't know if anyone would believe a cat could possibly be a service animal, no matter how good he makes you feel.

I can tell you that the only "service" my cat provides is verifying the continued existence of gravity by knocking items off desks and shelves.
Naughty Fluffy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Arguably the problem is that Amtrak doesn't allow transport of pets. There is no reason for this. Pretty much every other train operator in the world allows transports of pets in suitable cages. This bizarre situation invites people to abuse the ADA rules.

The problem is Amtrak has a poor policy on pets. It is the only train service which does not allow pets. If there was a policy similar to any of those in Europe, i.e., leash/box the pet and buy it a ticket, then people would not be tempted to abuse the ADA rules.

C'mon Amtrak! Let me take my dog on vacation and I'll get out of the plane and car and take the choo choo!

The problem is Amtrak has a poor policy on pets. It is the only train service which does not allow pets. If there was a policy similar to any of those in Europe, i.e., leash/box the pet and buy it a ticket, then people would not be tempted to abuse the ADA rules.

C'mon Amtrak! Let me take my dog on vacation and I'll get out of the plane and car and take the choo choo!
Well, they'd gain you as a passenger, but they'd lose me. And I say this as a card-carrying pet lover.

Well, they'd gain you as a passenger, but they'd lose me. And I say this as a card-carrying pet lover.
You wouldn't even notice, actually. First, the pet would be in a proper kennel.

Second, it would be in the baggage car, if they followed VIA's rules.

Or if they followed CityNightLine rules, it would be in a private room (no pets in coach there!).

As a pet *hater* I think Amtrak really needs to allow pets under suitable rules. Since the rules are unsuitably prohibitionist, people just abuse and break them. But if the rules were well-thought-out, people would follow them.

I understand the allergy issue, but people are allergic to peanuts and they aren't banned. People are allergic by inhalation to various fabrics and cleaning products, not to mention perfumes, and they aren't banned.

You wouldn't even notice, actually. First, the pet would be in a proper kennel.
You can't keep a dog in a kennel for umpteen hours at a time. Some of the LD routes are three days from end to end.

Additionally, the baggage car is not climate controlled. The pets would freeze or overheat, depending on the time of year. There's also no air flow back there. Also, who's going to feed/water/walk them?

I've heard that it is loosely enforced because there is no proof that there is a certified service dog. It would be a nice to include a letter from doctor or animal training agency stating that it is a service dog.
Service dogs (now by law) are always dogs. There are many people who have hidden disabilities who use service animals. My daughter has a service animal and we have ridden Amtrak and other forms of transportation with no problems. We always try to be aware if some are uncomfortable around us but please understand -- I wish I could give my daughter allergy meds and her disability would subside - even for a few minutes. People who use service dogs need them. Their presence isn't some kind of lark - or an attempt to bring their beloved pet with them. My daughter's dog is part of the family and beyond what he does for her, we love him dearly. But as much as we love him, I wish she didn't need him and would be grateful if she had no disability.

My daughter's dog has allowed us to go places we could not previous to having him. Service dogs are much like a wheelchair for a person who has mobility problems. In other words, if you wouldn't tell a mobility impaired person to leave their wheelchair outside, - the same goes for a service dog. When a business or an employee or Amtrak personnel deny access to a person with a service dog - they are denying access to the person with the disability.

Fakes are a problem but you can't deny access to all people just because of those that try to fake access rights with a pet. I wish there were very strict laws to prosecute and fine those who try to pass their fake dogs off as service dogs. It is pretty easy to tell whether or not a dog is a working dog. Most people do identify them with vests (although that is not required by law), they are calm, they pay attention, they lay at the feet of the person or under a table in a restaurant. They don't get out of control, they don't bite, and they don't urinate or defecate in public places unless they are permitted or given a command to do so. Those who perpetrate the fake service dog scenario make it EXTRA hard on those who need their dogs to perform and work for them. People that do this are SELFISH and do not think beyond their own needs. They should be prosecuted and fined.

Annie

Annie - I don't think the debate over fakes would be an issue if the vests were required by law. My friend has an extremely well-behaved dog that acts like you described, but that's because she's trained that way. Therefore, it's hard to use that as a basis for identifying a service dog. If the service dogs had a clear marking, whether it be a vest (or even a scarf if the're a smaller breed), this whole debate about "fake or real" would be moot.

I realize those with disabilities value their privacy, but if we require handicap plates/cards to park in handicap zones, service dogs should be required to wear a vest or scarf. Much like the handicap plates/cards, it would prevent any unnecessary questions or doubts.

Annie - I don't think the debate over fakes would be an issue if the vests were required by law. My friend has an extremely well-behaved dog that acts like you described, but that's because she's trained that way. Therefore, it's hard to use that as a basis for identifying a service dog. If the service dogs had a clear marking, whether it be a vest (or even a scarf if the're a smaller breed), this whole debate about "fake or real" would be moot.

I realize those with disabilities value their privacy, but if we require handicap plates/cards to park in handicap zones, service dogs should be required to wear a vest or scarf. Much like the handicap plates/cards, it would prevent any unnecessary questions or doubts.
In Australia, all genuine Service dogs are required to wear a specially marked collar and/or a vest and be on a leash when they are working i.e. accompanying a person with a medically diagnosed disability in a public place. This also goes for passengers on trains.

Whilst I understand that some people may be sensitive to disclosing that they have a disability through the presence of their Service Dog wearing a highly visible collar and/or vest it would certainly eliminate the questions regarding the validity of the dog's status and it would allow others to be more understanding and accepting of the person and the dog in their midst.

Seems to me that the lady with the Pug wasn't genuine, as a Service Dog needs to be with the owner at all times in order to provide the assistance or warning that they are trained for - being allowed to run free doesn't seem to fit the requirements.

Garry :lol:

I just don't get the obsession about having your pets travel with you. I have two cats. I take them with me when I travel the two hours to my dad's house if I'm going to gone longer than overnight. My brother kitty sits when I go on vacation. Would I like to take my cats with me on vacation? Yes. Do I think it's fair to them to keep them cooped up in the cat carrier for more than a couple of hours? NO!!! Do I think it's fair to subject other passengers to their constant yowling (and believe me there WILL be yowling!!)? NO!!! I realize cats and dogs are different but the principle is the same. It's not in the best interests of either the animals or he passengers to have them on board. And there was yet another story in the news the other day about a dog dying in the cargo hold of an airplane - methinks that the airlines are going to be rethinking their animal policy in the near future.

I just don't get the obsession about having your pets travel with you. I have two cats. I take them with me when I travel the two hours to my dad's house if I'm going to gone longer than overnight. My brother kitty sits when I go on vacation. Would I like to take my cats with me on vacation? Yes. Do I think it's fair to them to keep them cooped up in the cat carrier for more than a couple of hours? NO!!! Do I think it's fair to subject other passengers to their constant yowling (and believe me there WILL be yowling!!)? NO!!! I realize cats and dogs are different but the principle is the same. It's not in the best interests of either the animals or he passengers to have them on board. And there was yet another story in the news the other day about a dog dying in the cargo hold of an airplane - methinks that the airlines are going to be rethinking their animal policy in the near future.
People need to get over their obsession with pets: Dogs, cats, fish, birds, hamsters, iguanas, etc., etc. (btw, I've had all of the previous, and still have a dog, the the 7th or 8th in my lifetime) I get the attachment that can happen, the bond. (One of my Dalmatian's had cancer, and I jumped thru all kinds of hoops to find a cure, even experimental medicine at U of W at Madison) But pets have a place, and that is in the owners home, yard, or cage/aquarium. Period. Full stop.

True service animals, IMHO, should be required to wear some evidence of their legality, otherwise, in today's environment far too many ignorant people will try to "game" the system, and then cry bloody foul when challenged.

Do I "luv" by dog? Sure, but I love it like a dog. Do I travel with it? Sure it goes with me on car rides or camping. (But I don't love it enough to seat-belt it in when riding in the car......) Would I think of taking it on Amtrak, MegaBus, or Braniff Airlines? Not on your life.

Please keep pets off public transportation, unless a registered service animal. There are too many reasons to do so, than can be posted here.

I do have a question for other posters. Would would you (should you?) do if you suspect that someone has gamed the system, and snuck a non-service animal onboard, under the guise that it was a service animal? (you know this because you heard them telling someone on the phone, "It worked, it worked, I snuck Fido on board, I told them it was for my anxiety.........hahahahaha..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back