Pets on Long Distance Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are plenty of legitimate service animals on Amtrak every day... People traveling with illegitimate service animals seem to be the ones who carry "certification" cards, wear bright "Service Animal" vests and immediately get confrontational and threaten to sue.
Oooh, I hate it when people say things like this! Just because a service animal is a "legitimate" pureblood with the right papers doesn't automatically make it a better service animal. Plenty of illegitimate "mutts" make fantastic service animals! Please don't judge service animals based on their ancestry! Sure, that love child of a Bull Terrier and a Shitzu may look kinda funny, but still...
I can't decide if your response is in jest not not. In case not, I'll clarify by saying I don't care what the breed is. A legitimate service animal is one actually trained to perform a specific task vs. just being declared a service animal for the convenience of skirting the rules to bring the animal onboard.

Even with the new pet policy, I'm sure we'll still have issues with non-service animals being declared service animals because they are too big.

There are plenty of legitimate service animals on Amtrak every day... People traveling with illegitimate service animals seem to be the ones who carry "certification" cards, wear bright "Service Animal" vests and immediately get confrontational and threaten to sue.
Oooh, I hate it when people say things like this! Just because a service animal is a "legitimate" pureblood with the right papers doesn't automatically make it a better service animal. Plenty of illegitimate "mutts" make fantastic service animals! Please don't judge service animals based on their ancestry! Sure, that love child of a Bull Terrier and a Shitzu may look kinda funny, but still...
Even with the new pet policy, I'm sure we'll still have issues with non-service animals being declared service animals because they are too big.
Plus the passengers who will want to call it a service animal to avoid the fee or to avoid having it be in a carrier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although tonys96 dislikes cencorship, I also dislike what I see as racial slurs on A.U.... ?

Ed.
If the word "Mexican" is a racial slur to you, I apologize to you. However in Texas, there are millions of people who wear it proudly as their heritage. I was engaged to one, and have posted her picture here as part of one of our trip reports.
Your post was demeaning of their heritage.

rickycourtney:

I suspect it might be where the funds come from . the talgos are all to us a local system.

ODot and WDot might be the subborn rock in this case.

I am sympathetic to Peter's point of view about never burdening a disabled person, being one myself, but we still have to deal with real-world problems like service dog fraud. While the burden of proof should NEVER be on the disabled person, a voluntary identification system like Michigan's might help. It just went into effect and we'll just have to see how it works out.

Meanwhile, here's a good resource for those interested in combating service-dog fraud.

same with service dogs. One mistake by a conductor and you have mucked up a persons day By 24H or more. Its not like the train goes every hour .
Conductors are not going to question a dog that has been declared a service dog unless it does something disruptive. Like the so called one that bit an LSA and another that was growling at passengers.

"Here in Texas, there are a plethora of Mexican bus companies that move pax to and from border cities. Looks like Amtrak is striving to reach their level. "

I don't see the word Mexican as a slur... I read the tone of the post as infering that Mexicans were happy with a lower level of service. I apoligise if I misread that intent.

Ed.

Although tonys96 dislikes cencorship, I also dislike what I see as racial slurs on A.U.... ?

Ed.
If the word "Mexican" is a racial slur to you, I apologize to you. However in Texas, there are millions of people who wear it proudly as their heritage. I was engaged to one, and have posted her picture here as part of one of our trip reports.
Your post was demeaning of their heritage.

I will not argue that you feel that way. But will ask you to please tell me what makes you feel that. Perhaps it can be a learning experience for me. The post I quoted spoke of an experience in Mexico, while I referred to the many bus services that cater to Mexican people moving pax between major cities and border cities. Demeaning? How?

"Here in Texas, there are a plethora of Mexican bus companies that move pax to and from border cities. Looks like Amtrak is striving to reach their level. "

I don't see the word Mexican as a slur... I read the tone of the post as infering that Mexicans were happy with a lower level of service. I apoligise if I misread that intent.

Ed.
Apology accepted. I may have been thinking Amtrak was striving to reach the high-level of service afforded by some of these carriers, which are, IMHO, far better than "the dog"....

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they go all in on this. Not piecemeal as on some short routes. Forcing just some pax to sit in "pet cars" , while keeping others from enjoying the company of theirs and others' pets is unconscionable!

Should be allowed on ALL TRAINS, in ALL CARS, except, maybe diners ( which might be disappearing anyway ). And not just small animals that fit in carriers under the seat.....what about those of us who own Labs or German Shepherds? Why can't we take our beloved pets too? Hey, most service dogs are large breeds and they are already allowed on all trains with no restrictions.

And, for that matter....why only dogs and/or cats? I have friends who have a pot bellied pig, and another who owns two dwarf rabbits. Why can't they take their pets with them, too??

Why must pets ride in a certain " pet car "? What if their owners want to take bedrooms or roomettes? Why the discrimination? Pets ought to be allowed in sleepers, too! And in the SSL! Why keep the enjoyment of the animals confined to one certain car? Everybody should have an equal opportunity to enjoy the animals!!

This " pet car " deal reeks of discrimination........
You forgot three things:

The right of the alternate being (it is improper to call them pets as that implies one species can "own" another) to enjoy the outdoors by sitting with their heads out the window.

The right of such beings to enjoy the scenery from the upper lounge area of the Superliners.

The right of diners to let them lick from the plates since the diner has already paid for the food either directly or embedded in a sleeper ticket.

Discrimination is a term bandied about whenever someone feels put out because sometimes someone else gets to make the rules.

As long as you are not part of a "protected class" under some statute, there is usually nothing (legally) wrong with denying you passage, service, rental, or just about anything else. Morality and legality are not the same, neither are equality and fairness.

Discrimination is a term bandied about whenever someone feels put out because sometimes someone else gets to make the rules.
But (as I attempted to point out in a now-exorcised post) the term discrimination has other meanings, and benign ones too. Such as differentiating between two different things, telling the difference. It used be a compliment to say that that someone had discriminating tastes - they could tell a good wine from the swill. Many radios even have a discriminator circuit... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foster%E2%80%93Seeley_discriminator ...so the term can even apply to inanimate objects. Nowadays, however, the term almost automatically conjures up its negative connotation. But in the benign connotation, we all discriminate: It's how we learn what's dangerous and can do us harm (red hot stove burner) and what's OK (a butterfly). English is a terribly complex language. The next time you're in the dining car across from someone speaking broken English - ask them.

I may have my tongue in my cheek, but I also don't want Fido or Fifi to have free reign. Perhaps Tony has watched Planet of the Apes too many times? If they didn't let him travel it would be discrimination,,, in my humble opinion the term does not apply to non humans. Discrimination is not on merit but some perceived unreality. When pets get treated like humans, we have gone to far.

Absolutely coreect as to English and its difficulties especially multiple meanings of words. I don't think that changes the validity of my premise, it is (usually) easy which meaning someone is using for discrinination based on context.

I may have my tongue in my cheek, but I also don't want Fido or Fifi to have free reign. Perhaps Tony has watched Planet of the Apes too many times? If they didn't let him travel it would be discrimination,,, in my humble opinion the term does not apply to non humans. Discrimination is not on merit but some perceived unreality. When pets get treated like humans, we have gone to far.
Here is my point.....

I do not at all agree with the decision to let pax take their pets on LD trains. This has way too many possible downsides for other pax that IMHO do not merit the few upsides. A single rider with a pet in coach could, on a full train, cause a rider with an allergy, as someone above said they have, to sit next to the pet. Or behind. Or in front of. Or there is a real likelihood of an " aroma" emanating from a pet carrier after seven or more hours.(the seven hour limit refers to scheduled travel time, not actual travel time, and there are often delays). There is also the yapping, both day and night. Imagine seating a dog and a cat by each other.......

But, that is now a done deal. Pets are allowed in all coaches. If you have pet allergies, you may not even find a car without a pet in it....

Unless you spring the extra bux for a sleeper!

There lies the rub......

My problem is with limiting it to coach. Why do coach pax only get the opportunity to "enjoy" this new rule? If it is such a great deal, why is it restricted from sleeper class? Great deals should be available to all pax, right? Conversely, if it might be troublesome for some, why is it allowed only in coach? Are coach pax supposed to accept a less than desirable trip solely due to being in coach?

I truly believe it should be train wide or not at all.

I would guess that they are limiting it to coach because if they allow pets in the sleeper cars then as soon as someone closes the door to their room you know many pet owners are going to let their pet out of the carrier and let it climb all over the seats and beds in the roomettes and bedrooms, and none of the train staff is able to see what's going on unlike in coach.

Like it or not, we do live in a country partially divided on economic lines. People who can or will spend more generally get more. One of the reasons for restricting to coach is the premise that they must remain in their carrier, and must remain under ​ your seat. That would be almost impossible to enforce in a sleeper. Allergies are a legit concern, but there are lots of folks with peanut allergies, and I haven't ben forced to surrender my Snickers Bar.

Like it or not, we do live in a country partially divided on economic lines. People who can or will spend more generally get more.
In this case, aren't they actually getting less? Sleeper pax do not get the opportunity to take pets, while those paying less for transport do......Sleeper pax must forfeit the opportunity to take Fido, in order to pay more to lie flat........

In fact, I am absolutely OK with the policy if it would restrict the pets to a single car, and allow pax who do not want to travel with animals for whatever reason (allergies, want to sleep without yapping, whatever) to travel in a car without pets in it. A " pet car", and the rest of the train would be " pet free".

But this policy of all coach cars allowing pets willy-nilly in all coach cars, and ONLY in coach, just doesn't seem right, to me. Again, IMHO, if it is ALL coach cars, it ought to be ALL CARS..........sleepers included.

Since the number of allowable pet reservations (per train) is small, there is no reason not to designate a specific car other than the current practice of putting passengers to specific destinations into specific cars. Again, since we are talking about a very small number of passengers is small, this would be a good reason to ignore that and use one car.

I do not at all agree with the decision to let pax take their pets on LD trains.
<Whew!> Thanx for finally finally saying so. Your previous posts you had me convinced you were a fringe lunatic pet advocate. A bit like the cruise ship passenger I read about who would bring a little Chihuahua into the formal dining room in a baby stroller and feed the little darling table scraps - much to the disgust of her human dining companions.

Calling something or someone "Mexican" isn't a slur in Texas. Where I live people of Mexican heritage represent the vast majority of citizens, both documented and undocumented, and don't generally see such heritage as negative or shameful.

Here in Texas, there are a plethora of Mexican bus companies that move pax to and from border cities. Looks like Amtrak is striving to reach their level.
I wouldn't say they're happy with it. The Mexican bus companies are notoriously dismal spendthrifts that run poorly managed services on improperly maintained hardware between dilapidated stations with sloppy drivers. I think the main crux of the point was that Mexican bus companies represent the bottom of the market, not because they're owned/managed/operated/patronized by Mexicans but simply because of the market to which they cater and their stingy fly-by-night attitude toward safety and maintenance.

I do not at all agree with the decision to let pax take their pets on LD trains.
<Whew!> Thanx for finally finally saying so. Your previous posts you had me convinced you were a fringe lunatic pet advocate. A bit like the cruise ship passenger I read about who would bring a little chihuahua into the formal dining room in a baby stroller and feed the little darling table scraps - much to the disgust of her human dining companions.
Glad it wasn't a big Chihuahua! What do you have against Mexican dogs? Chihuahua is capitalized! Estoy bromeando!

But, Neroden, CATS have free REIGN in their households. Ask any victim "owner" of a cat.

Back