Pets vs Service animals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The media will always be bias against Amtrak, so management doesn't want a confrontation over a grey area pertaining to pets that goes viral, even if in the long run Amtrak is in the right. From a PR stand point Amtrak management will look the other way until it becomes a safety use.

The best solution, IMHO, is for the feds to contract with the ASPCA who would certify training facilities. Only those facilities would be able to issue a dated (expiration date) tag (to be attached to the animal) in one color for service animals and another for comfort animals. The ASPCA would be required to annually check the facilities. Thus, places that allow service (or service plus comfort) animals would not have to question the owner but would be allowed to verify the tag. The tag should have picture of animal, description and barcode. No info as to disability need be on the tag.

Under the current law an individual or family can train a dog to perform a specific task, in which case it would qualify. If we can add something that covers that situation, it would certainly be a step in the right direction. It might be more than one agency needed to cover the whole country, and different types of service, but it is a start of a worthwhile dialog.

Several years ago somebody brought a "comfort animal" into the diner and insisted on keeping the dog in his lap during the meal. We insisted that the dog had to be kept below the level of the table top because there were other passengers sharing the table. The dining car was entirely full, and we did not have the option of moving anybody to another seat. The dog's owner complained, and Management decided we had handled it wrong. Interestingly, they never said what we should have done instead, and never showed us a definitive rule to guide our actions in the future. Go figure.

True service animals are well trained and well behaved wherever they are. Pets are entirely different, and home-trained "service animals" are unpredictable. I loved the real service animals I encountered, but I know of situations where untrained animals created messes, were disruptive, behaved poorly, barked, and even bit passengers and employees.

By the way, I'm a dog owner. He's my good friend, but I don't pretend he's a service animal.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
The law and the company rules are clear that a comfort animal has no place in the diner. It is unfortunate that management has been spayed or neutered instead of the dog. If they won't back up the people on the front lines when they need support, they are useless. Comfort animals are not permitted on Amtrak unless traveling as pets, in which case they need to be in a carrier, and never in a food service area.

Thank you, Tom. You understand and are clear in your thoughts.

I also am a long-time dog owner-lover. Not at or indeed eating from dinner plates at table.

Also, I would like to be absolutely clear that I am not one of the high dudgeon complainers that some here are speaking of. I am often thanked by staff at the end of our trip for being so pleasant and nice. I carry that compliment with pride. I wear a jacket at dinner because I was taught to do so, and because I respect the staff who works very hard to make things right for the passengers.

The best solution, IMHO, is for the feds to contract with the ASPCA who would certify training facilities. Only those facilities would be able to issue a dated (expiration date) tag (to be attached to the animal) in one color for service animals and another for comfort animals. The ASPCA would be required to annually check the facilities. Thus, places that allow service (or service plus comfort) animals would not have to question the owner but would be allowed to verify the tag. The tag should have picture of animal, description and barcode. No info as to disability need be on the tag.
thats not really what the aspca does, and how would that be funded?

Ryan,

The dog didn't tip, but I don't hold it against him because he didn't have opposable thumbs.

The owner, on the other hand ........................

Tom

P.S. Actually, the dog was a cute little guy. I have no bad feelings towards him. :giggle:

"the feds to contract with the ASPCA".

They don't do that and I doubt they want to. They did contract with NYC to investigate animal abuse cases but lost that contract. That's actually their mission - to prevent animal abuse. They don't work through the entire gamut of animal facility inspection, and I doubt they want to.

The department that has the most experience with animals is the USDA. They're actually responsible for inspecting zoos, circuses, etc.

Regardless, that's not what the ASPCA does nor is it really in the scope of their mission.

Right now this is not on anyone's agenda in Washington, even if it was, could easily be knocked down to a decision by each each state. Bottom line, until the abuse becomes a major news story, it will be long time before something is even considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back