PHASE 4 IS BACK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen a few scattered Auto Carriers that were in Phase III, but most had damage and were not in service (I saw them at the Sanford shops). The one thing that bothers me though about Phase IV on Heritage cars is the height off the ground of the Paint varies, so you may have a Train in all Phase IV, but the baggage, dorms, and Diners may throw off the continuity.

I know what you mean. The baggage cars seem to have a full Phase IV stripe, the diners have a half stripe, and the dorms have a stripe (with the exception of a few cars) much like a Superliner.

With regard to the paint on the motive, I've gotten used to the Phase V, in fact I'm in shock when I see a Phase IV. I haven't had a Phase IV in service on one of my trains down here since July. So once you get used to Phase V, you don't even really notice it that much.

I didn't like it at first, but I guess it's OK. The railroads of the 50s' and 60s' always had a different scheme on there locomotives than on the passenger cars and most of the time the passenger cars didn't even have a scheme. Even today VIA Rail has their flashy yellow blue locomotives, but there passenger cars are all stainless steel with a blue stripe above the windows and there logo in one corner. Mabey Amtrak could do something the same and put more money toward the interior of the train.

One of the more interesting things I remember seeing was in Passenger Train Journal (I miss this magazine) when they did a special on the 25th Anniversary of Amtrak. The pictures from the first months showed cars in all different paint schemes that came from the different railroads. The lack of continuity was enough to give someone a headache :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back