PHI Lounge eligibility?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcropod

Lead Service Attendant
My first few kms in my upcoming 19 thou across the USA and Canada begin with a morning BC run on NER from PHI to WAS, before a later departure that day on the CL to CHI from WAS.

Will my NER BC ticket qualify me for entry to the PHI lounge, or will I be barred?

It looks like BC/Roomette travel will get me in at other stations with lounges, but I couldnt make out what the story was at PHI because of the Acela First Class relationship to that lounge. Embdy know for sure?

BC will get you into Metropolitan Lounges at LA, Chicago, Portland. BC (even on Acela) by itself will not get you into Club Acela locations.

However, $20 and a BC ticket will buy you access to the Philadelphia Club Acela (not NY or WAS).

"All Business Class passengers can purchase daily access passes for the ClubAcela locations at Philadelphia - 30th Street Station and Boston - South Station for $20.00 per day. Speak with a uniformed employee at the station for more information."

But a SAME DAY sleeper ticket will get you access to any Club Acela (or Metropolitan Lounge) for free, even if it isn't the station you have the sleeper ticket from. So if you have sleeper ticket that same day from WAS, you will be able to get into Club Acela at both Philly and Washington.

"Amtrak passengers with a same-day ticket (departing) or ticket receipt (arriving) in First Class or sleeping car accommodations."

https://www.amtrak.com/at-the-station/station-lounges.html

If you have a sleeper on the CL, then you should be able to get into the lounge in Philly. They allow same-day sleeper pax into the lounges.

Thankyou for that, I do have a sleeper for the same-day #29 WAS departure, so I'll look to show that ticket at PHI before getting to ride the NER #185.

It wasn't so much that I want to insulate myself from the hoi-polloi, but have a better chance of being guided to the correct platform and train, as well as being better able to look after my bags as a solo traveller, and still have the option of going to the toilet and suchlike.

I'd sussed out I'd be able to leave my bags at WAS station's Lounge whilst I have a gander at your nation's capital for a few hours, and then return there before boarding #29, so that bit was pretty clear.

Thanks again for your advice.

You are allowed into any First Class lounge the same day of First Class travel, regardless of the actual station.
This is actually a scenario I nearly booked for a recent trip, would this include an airplane segment:

Pacific Surfliner Anaheim-San Diego early AM

Flying Spirit Airlines SAN-ORD (found a sub-$100 fare including a big front seat, its a 48 weekend trip so will be traveling with just a personal item)

LSL UnIon Station to South Bend.

Would I get Metropolitan Access in Chicago by Vertue of my Pacific Surfliner ticket that I used earlier in the day?

Another scenario I could see - slightly more realistic I guess - would be someone flying from Newark, or BWI or PHL flying somewhere to then board an Amtrak Sleeper that evening. Would they be allowed Access in New York Penn, 30th Street Station, or DC Union Station, before connecting taking a commuter flight to the airport to fly to their Amtrak Sleeper?

You are allowed into any First Class lounge the same day of First Class travel, regardless of the actual station.
This is actually a scenario I nearly booked for a recent trip, would this include an airplane segment:

Pacific Surfliner Anaheim-San Diego early AM

Flying Spirit Airlines SAN-ORD (found a sub-$100 fare including a big front seat, its a 48 weekend trip so will be traveling with just a personal item)

LSL UnIon Station to South Bend.

Would I get Metropolitan Access in Chicago by Vertue of my Pacific Surfliner ticket that I used earlier in the day?

Another scenario I could see - slightly more realistic I guess - would be someone flying from Newark, or BWI or PHL flying somewhere to then board an Amtrak Sleeper that evening. Would they be allowed Access in New York Penn, 30th Street Station, or DC Union Station, before connecting taking a commuter flight to the airport to fly to their Amtrak Sleeper?
Yes. If you have a First Class lounge eligible ticket the same day, you are allowed into a First Class lounge anywhere. You don't have to be boarding a train in First Class from that lounge.

Ixnay on the ointingpay out of one of the few remaining oopholelays left to assengerpays, before it too is taken away...ay.
default_wink.png

My first few kms in my upcoming 19 thou across the USA and Canada begin with a morning BC run on NER from PHI to WAS, before a later departure that day on the CL to CHI from WAS.
The official code for Philadelphia 30th Street Station is PHL not PHI.

I know what the rule is, but please report back on what happens at the Metropolitan Lounge. I can't imagine they get many people showing up in Chicago with a same-day Pacific Surfliner business class ticket!

I know what the rule is, but please report back on what happens at the Metropolitan Lounge. I can't imagine they get many people showing up in Chicago with a same-day Pacific Surfliner business class ticket!
I'd honestly be extremely shocked if it worked out smoothly (and honestly quite surprised if it works at all.) Not only is it way out of the norm, it's the Chicago staff, which often like to make up their own rules or have their own notions despite what published policy is.

At the Chicago ML, it really depends who is manning the desk and what frame of mind they are in. They may want a Chicago based train, especially if the ML is very busy/full. For a while, some would only allow outbound Sleeper and BC to enter.

However, $20 and a BC ticket will buy you access to the Philadelphia Club Acela (not NY or WAS).

"All Business Class passengers can purchase daily access passes for the ClubAcela locations at Philadelphia - 30th Street Station and Boston - South Station for $20.00 per day. Speak with a uniformed employee at the station for more information."
Just out of curiosity, when did this start? I had thought that the access "rules" for all the Club Acelas were the same (or had been).

Back